Craftsman 19.5 hp Hydrostatic Drive Problems

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Craftsman 19.5 hp Hydrostatic Drive Problems

Ric The mower is about 5 years old. It sounds like the drive is groaning when on an incline, also like the mower does not have the speed it used to. Do not have manual. What can I check out on the thing before I take it to service???
John There should be a fluid resivoir on the trans. Check the fluid level first. There also may be a fluid filter that may be blocked too. An automatic trans on tractors uses a hydraulic pump similar to that of a cars power steering and when low on fluid will make a loud noise and also perform poorly.
As far as your manual, sears can get you one if you supply them with the model number which should be located on the rear fender under the seat. I would advise getting one because they give you a complete parts breakdown and also supply you with part numbers for almost every part on the tractor which really helps when you need to replace belts etc. I have a sears garden tractor and needed to replace a drive belt. I called sears and they quoted me 45.00. I called my local NAPA and gave them the part number from the manual and saved about 15.00

Jeff I just wanted to let everyone know I had the same exact problem with my 19HP Craftsman with Hydrostatic drive. A Sears mechanic came to the house and checked it out. He said we would need a new transaxle at a cost of over $1000. Over the past month I took the transaxle off and tore it apart checking gears and checking oil but everything was fine. Well today I fixed the problem myself.
After I put it all back together, I went to my front yard which has a small incline to test and make sure I put it together correctly when sure enough it still could not clime the smallest incline. I then by dumb luck pressed on the drive lever to make sure it was all the way in gear, as I pushed harder I started climbing the hill. I went back to the garage and adjusted the link from the drive lever and the transaxle. I turned the link five times to make the link longer so when you put it into forward gear it puts more pressure on the lever and what do you know.... I not only can clime my little incline but my neighbors hill which is steep enough to almost fall off the back. I hope this helps others in the future with the same problem.

Good luck guys,
Jeff

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: