john deere 318 lawn tractor

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

john deere 318 lawn tractor

Bill Bownds HELP
I have a John Deere 318 lawn tractor
Does anyone out there have a diagram on how the deck belt goes.
My brother-in-law threw the belt off and neither of us can figure how the thing goes back on.
I want to say it's a 46" deck ?
It has 3 blades.
if you can e-mail me a diagram or call me and i'll give you a fax number to fax a diagram.
I'm sure it's pretty simple without having to load it up and haul it in to the local john deere dealer.
Thanks to anyone who might be of assistance,
BB

Jim (WV) Copy and paste this url and check out this guys web site, if any one knows about the 318's it is this guy and he will help you out. His e-mail address is at the bottom of his web page :).

http://www.geocities.com/jd318_mazz/

Dave Bill - There is not a mower deck drive belt diagram for a 318, that I know of. I'll try to explain. The Onan engine on the 318 is a horizontal shaft engine, so the pto clutch is at the front of the tractor, right behind the front grille. Pop the grille off. You'll see a pulley or sheave that is mounted to the pto clutch.

Below the body work, at the the front of the tractor, the mule drive mounts onto the frame. It is captured by open slots on the frame and welded pins on the mule drive.

The mule drive has two sheaves that are parallel to each other, but 90* opposed to the pto sheave. Insert the belt up through the mule drive and wrap around the two sheaves of the mule drive. It's easiest to do this with the mule drive off the frame. Also, make sure to turn the knob on front of the mule drive so the indicator points to the "Install" position.

Then wrap the belt around the pto clutch sheave. The belt should develop a quarter turn twist on each side between the the pto sheave and the mule drive sheaves.

So from the pto clutch sheave, the belt runs vertically down to the mule drive sheaves. Once the belt wraps around both sheaves in the mule drive, it runs horizontally toward the mower deck drive sheave.

Finally, wrap the belt around the drive sheave on the mower deck. It helps to push the mule sheave on the tractor's right side "up" to provide some slack.

Once the belt is installed, check each sheave to make sure the belt is properly seated. Then turn the knob on the front of the mule drive til the indicator points to the area near the top of the mule drive.

Hope this helps. - Dave

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: