JOHN DEERE 425 WONT STAY RUNNING

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JOHN DEERE 425 WONT STAY RUNNING

LB I HAVE A 1993 JD 425 THAT STARTS FINE, THEN AFTER 15 - 20 MINUTES JUST DIES. IT WILL START BACK UP BUT WILL ONLY RUN AT SLOW IDLE.
I HAVE REPLACED FUEL FILTER AND FUEL PUMP TO NO AVAIL.

ANY IDEAS??? ELECTRONIC? FUEL? OPERATOR ERROR?

Ollie Clean the vent in the gas cap with some carb/choke cleaner or replace the cap.
LB TURNS OUT IT WAS A TIME DELAY MODULE. $16.00 AND I WAS BACK ON THE LAWN.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Dennis Just out of curiosity, what's a "time delay module" & what's it's purpose?
John My 425 AWS intermittently would not start, once it started it would run for hours. After troubleshooting for months it turn out to be the same ignition time delay module. $16.00!!! So if your 425 is having intermittent problems, change the time delay module. I wonder what the JD dealer would charge for this problem.
John The time delay module keeps the engine running for a second or 2 after the key is turned off,to burn out unused fuel, supposed to keep the unit from backfiring next time starting. This is why the 425's run after you turn the key off (1 or 2 seconds).
Fred Winnard - OKC I just performed my 200 hour service. I noticed the grill was melting. The area closest to the exhaust pipe, not the muffler, is too close. I made a heat shield from a posted sign to close in the heat box and protect the grill. Is your's doing this melting of the grill? I have not had the starting problems. Mine is a 1999 model.

Trace I have exactly the same problem with my JD 425 as LB. However, I've replaced the time-delay module and it STILL does the exact same thing. Any other ideas? I love my JD, but looks kind-of said sitting in the yard after 10 minutes of mowing while the neighbor's $1,200 "YARD-KING" is still mowing.
Dennis Possibility it's the magneto. I have a 20hp B&S Intec that would die on one cylinder after 10-20 min. of mowing. Replaced teh magneto and all's well.
jeff donald I had same problem (after running for awile it would die and wouldnt start until cooled off),it was the coil.
breezybiv My fuel pump is not energizing after is turn the key, could this be caused by the time delay module? there is a fule pump relay, but I can't find it. HELP!! Greg...
Keith There was a recall on the early carburated Deeres (1995) but only if you had a problem - nice - the carburator would dump raw fuel into the oil - crankcase, when mine did this it caused the unit to shut down. Fix was new carb and different thermostat.
DAVE I AM PRETTY SURE THAT MY 425 20 HORSE KAWSAKI LIGUID COOL HAS A TIME REALY MODULE FAILURE. ATLEAST MY TRACOTR HAS THE SAME SYMPTOMS. WHERE IS THE TIME REALY MODLULE /DELAY LOCATED. WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE
THANKS DAVE

Bob My 1993 425 is doing like LB's. I need to know where the Time Delay Module is located on the mower, and a part # would be nice also. Thanks Bob
Dave
The time delay module is that round piece of plastic near the selinoid. It has two yellow, a red, and an orange wire coming from it..Oh that is if it is an early model Ser# less than 070000. Might also work for later mode.
Look on line and you can find it for $10.00 Just saw one at that price today
Good luck.

Rachelle Hello gentlemen, hope you dont mind helping a lady on here. My JD started yesterday, went to start it today, nothing, several tries. Friend of mine took off the spark plug wires and put a screw driver there to see if it would spark. Neither side did. He said he thinks it's the magneto. But after reading some of yalls posts, could my issue be a delay module? If so how easy are they to replace, for someone who has some, but not a lot of experience with mechanics? I'm trying to learn what I can to do some of this myself.

Thanks in advance!! Glad to find y'all!

Mark My 425 when I turn the key on, I can hear the fuel pump running., After a half hour the tractor quits, and the fuel filter is empty. Is the fuel pump shot, and if so is it a fix I can do?
Dane after an hour of mowing my 425 shuts off. the electric fuel pump won't run. after a cooling off period of 2 - 4 hours you can hear the pump start again and mower runs. has anybody else had a similar problem, and found a solution?
Jeff I had been running my 425 mower for an hour or so and took a 10 minute break and when I tried to start again, it would run for about 3 seconds and stop. It did this for 5 or 6 other attempts, so I just quit and got a beer. What's going on? Thanks.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: