Craftsman Rear Engine Rider motion drive belt replacement

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractors / Garden Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

Craftsman Rear Engine Rider motion drive belt replacement

Karen I was wondering if there are any tricks to putting on a motion drive belt for a 1999 Craftsman mower model 536.270111 I have removed the mower housing and have the belt around the top pulley of the stack pulley. The steps after that seem to be impossible at this point. If anyone has anything that might help me through this I would greatly apprecaite it! Thank you for your time.
Stephen : I was wondering if there are any tricks to putting on a motion drive belt for a 1999 Craftsman mower model 536.270111 I have removed the mower housing and have the belt around the top pulley of the stack pulley. The steps after that seem to be impossible at this point. If anyone has anything that might help me through this I would greatly apprecaite it! Thank you for your time.

Sure you don't want to get another mower ;-) Your right the problem is there's no room to fish the belt onto the pullys. It sounds like a lot but loosen the bolts that hold the transmission ( tractor all jacked up at the rear )on to the frame then remove the bolts on one side and let it drop down you will have clearance also remove the tire(s) this will give you some more room.

Jason Alday Does anyone have a diagram for replacing a drive belt on Craftsman/Murray rear engine riders? I bought mine used and belt broke and dropped out so I have no idea how this belt goes on. I have the tranny dropped on one side and got the belt around the drive shaft pulley but don't know how it goes around the clutch pulley? The blow up parts list seems to show both sides of the belt going on the one side of the clutch pulley yet their appears to be a belt guide on the other side. Either way I try doesn't seem to provide tension with the clutch out but when the clutch is pressed it appears that the belt would get more tension, this seems backwards to me.

Anyone done this?

Steve Cloud I used to be a line mechanic at a Chrysler dealership, and putting that belt on was one of the hardest things I've ever done! If your not mechanically inclined, don't even attempt it, take it to a lawn mower shop. Believe me you'll save youeself alot of headache!! Hats off to Sears! You really designed that one in the professional servicemans favor!!!!

Fred C I just replaced one on a used Craftsman/Murray Rear Engine Rider and it was tough. Here are the tricks that helped me. - First, push the brake/clutch down and set the parking brake to make the belt go slack. Remove the deck, then put the rear frame on jackstands and take off the rear wheels. Then loosen the bolts that hold up the rear axle. Don't remove them, just loosen enough to lower the axle a bit to give you a little more room to work above the axle pulley. Use a 1/2 inch wrench to rotate the belt guides that are next to the pulley. Now you should be able to get the belt off above the rear pulley and around the stack pulley. The belt will not come off until you take out the bolt holding the stack pulley in place and loosen the two bolts holding that screwy stack pulley belt guide. Once you do that, you can manipulate the guide and stack pulley enough to get clearance for the belt. Took me two hous to figure this out and get the old one off, had the new one on in ten minutes. Remember when you put the new one on the BACK of the belt goes against the idler pulley.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractors / Garden Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: