[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 318 charging light and oil leak

Mike Denhart Why would the battery light come on when I engage the mower? It does not come on otherwise?

Also I have an small oil leak at the gasket between the block and oil pan. Do you have to pull the engine to change this gasket? I do not see a way to tighten the bolts while it is one the tractor.

Dave Mike - When the PTO is engaged, it pulls a lot of current. When the voltage drops below 12.3 volts, the battery low light comes on. So, either your battery is weak or the charging system is not up to par. I would have the battery checked under load. That will show if you have a weak or dead cell. You should also check the DC voltage coming off the middle terminal of the voltage regulator. Make sure to use a good ground point for the other probe of your meter. At full throttle, you should get 13.5 to 14+ volts. If you are not, then either the stator is bad or the voltage regulator needs to be replaced.

Regarding the oil leak: yes, you'll have to pull the engine and most likely have to replace the gasket. - Dave

Mike Thank you, I have 13.7 volts at regulator so I will check the battery.

Mike

Todd Resistance in the charge circuit will also cause the bat lght to come on. Try cleaning the terminals on the key switch.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: