John Deere 314 problem

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 314 problem

Bryan Waterworth I am having trouble making my 314 run. It will start and idle, but won't idle up. I've tried everything I can think of. Points are set. Timing is right. Valves adjusted. Carb rebuilt 3 times, (just to make sure it was done right). New coil. New starter switch. New starter.
At one time when I was checking the spark, I set the spark plug on the engine sheet metal and cranked the engine. I got good spark but I noticed that I was getting spark from the side of the plug to the sheet metal. I replaced the plug with a new one and the same thing happens. Do you think this may be a grounding problem?
Let me know what you think. Could that cause the engine not to run properly?

Thanks, Bryan

Joe The spark you see at body of plug is normal,remember you are putting a round object on a flat,rusty,dirty,paint insulated surface,the slighest vibration & you will see a spark between plug & sheet metal,if you were to HOLD plug tight against clean sheetmetal or bolt head you wouldn't see this.As far your term "idle up" if you mean eng won't rev up or increase speed,check for a loose throttle cable where it clamps to eng,missing or broken springs on govnor & throttle linkages,binding linkages,loose arm on govnor shaft,or possible bad govnor assembly inside eng.
'nother314owner Did you look at the gas line and filter? Sounds fuel related.
Bryan I found the problem. Main fuel needle clogged. Cleaned it. Now it works fine.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: