What fluid to use in Murray Hydrostatic?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractors / Garden Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

What fluid to use in Murray Hydrostatic?

Corey I have a Murray Hydrostatic rider. What type of fluid do I put in the reservoir for the hydrostatic drive? I have heard that automatic transmission fluid (Type F) will work.

DB You should have a sealed unit for one, and its problably more like a 30wt engine oil rather than a trans. fluid if you can top it off. I will mention that murray have a terrible belt tension and routing configuration and if your unit is sluggish especially up hills and in reverse its most likely the belt loose and not the fluid in the trans.

Corey : You should have a sealed unit for one, and its problably more like a 30wt engine oil rather than a trans. fluid if you can top it off. I will mention that murray have a terrible belt tension and routing configuration and if your unit is sluggish especially up hills and in reverse its most likely the belt loose and not the fluid in the trans.

There is a filler cap under the battery near the left rear tire so I don't believe it's a sealed unit. I agree with the belt tension.
The fluid is dark and looks like oil and not transmission fluid. I have yet to find a dealer/service department who can answer the question. Thanks for any help you can offer.

DB Post your model number and year of manufacturer, I'll check into it!

Corey : Post your model number and year of manufacturer, I'll check into it!

It's a Murray Hydrostatic/Automatic
Model Number 46901X92A
Date of Manufacture 0594

I've talked to three service departments and have gotten three different answers. I'm at wits end. The reservoir is about dry and I do not want to end up with major repairs in the future. Thanks for any help you can offer. BTW, Murray's website doesn't have the manual available for download.

DB O.K. You unit can be found on Murray Microfiche card M3-Z dated 5/94 Grid D-7 thru E-4. Use this for parts you may need, your local Murray Outdoor Equipment service center should have microfiche. Your transaxle is manufactured by Dana/Eaton Corporation. Parts for it must be obtained from an authorized service center for Eaton Hydraulics. The microfiche makes no reference to the Fluid recommended so to be exact on the blend of oil you need to contact an Eaton Hydraulics expert. However, I do know that many Eaton Hydro's in Cub Cadets and other brand tractors uses SAE 30wt Motor Oil. Hope this helps, its not much!

: It's a Murray Hydrostatic/Automatic
: Model Number 46901X92A
: Date of Manufacture 0594

: I've talked to three service departments and have gotten three different answers. I'm at wits end. The reservoir is about dry and I do not want to end up with major repairs in the future. Thanks for any help you can offer. BTW, Murray's website doesn't have the manual available for download.

Corey Thank you. I appreciate the information!!!!!!
David Scott Tyndall : I have a Murray Hydrostatic rider. What type of fluid do I put in the reservoir for the hydrostatic drive? I have heard that automatic transmission fluid (Type F) will work.

i have talked to dana and they said that for just a top off use 30wt motor oil and for a complete rebuild filling from empty use 30 wt syn tech oil

dave I have the same issue. How do you empty it and refill. Doesn't look like there is a drain and the fluid is black? Do you have to remove the back housing on the mower to access? thanks

Kyle I have the same question Dave. I have located the plastic fill reservoir but it is impossible to get to. I tried pretty hard to reach up and get the cap off but i stopped because i think i was getting ready to break it. any suggestions?
Travis I also have a similar problem. My murray rider doesn't seem to move very fast in forward. I found the plastic resivoir and inside it is a black rubber cup like thing that is thin and bendable. You can take the cup out of the resivoir and the fluid stays in the cup meaning there is no way for the fluid to escape the cup. My question is why is there fluid in such place and should it be dumped into the resivoir versus in the black cup that is inside the resivoir? Thanks for any help
merv universal hydrolic oil, but a murray tranny is suppose to be maintanance free. you can turn the linkage rod on top of tranny 1 turn either way to adjust the speed!

DHH : : Post your model number and year of manufacturer, I'll check into it!

: It's a Murray Hydrostatic/Automatic
: Model Number 46901X92A
: Date of Manufacture 0594

: I've talked to three service departments and have gotten three different answers. I'm at wits end. The reservoir is about dry and I do not want to end up with major repairs in the future. Thanks for any help you can offer. BTW, Murray's website doesn't have the manual available for download.

I have the same issue with my Murray. Did you ever find out what type of fluid to add?

Thanks

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractors / Garden Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: