Changing Oil in a Hydro Gear transmission

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Changing Oil in a Hydro Gear transmission

Bruce I have a 1994 Yardman 46" deck garden tractor with Hydro Gear transmission 718-0241 below that is another number 4061C1109. I found out it uses 20-50 weight motor oil but I do not know how much to put in. Does anyone know how much oil this transmission uses with a filter change? Thanks.
bontai Joe I'm fairly sure that there has to be a "check" plug in the housing somewhere, where if the fluid reaches that level, it is full. Then you replace that plug.
steve thanks for your reply to my problem, but I was having trouble with the mower not pulling so I tried to find a fillter and i let the oil out at a place where I thought the fillter was. I was WRONG.Now i need to get the oil back in but I see nowhere to put the oil back in.HELP!!!
Pat I have a 1996 Yardman with a hydro gear transmission also. It uses an HG 50037 filter (or 51563). Does anybody know of an equivalent filter I can buy at some local parts store. I can order one on-line for $11.95 with $8.95 (and 5 days) shipping. I was hoping to find one faster.

Brewster I just asked MTD the question about how to change the hydraulic oil and below is their response.

HYDROGEAR TRANSMISSION SERVICE (Pre-1998)

These Hydrogear® transmission units require an oil and filter change every 200 hours of use.

Units with an external (screw on type) hydraulic filter, part number HG-50037, are easier to work on. Simply disconnect the lowest hydraulic line from the transmission and drain it there. To refill, disconnect the uppermost line from the transmission case and fill it there. IMPORTANT Leave approximately ˝” air gap for fluid expansion.

Units with an internal filter , part number HG-44964 , require removal of the transmission and separation of the transmission case halves to access the internal filter.

Removal of the rear fender may be necessary in either case to ease access to the lines.

Refill with SAE 10W40 motor oil OR (in colder climates) SYNTHETIC SAE 15W50 is also acceptable.

These are self-purging hydraulic systems, therefore bleeding is not necessary. Although you should check the fluid level after 5 hours of use , after an oil , change to assure proper fill level after purging.

To order parts and accessories or to check on current pricing and availability, please call 800-800-7310. This will automatically connect you to the parts distributor nearest you. *Note that prices vary across the country due to various shipping and other related costs.

If you would rather leave this to an experienced technician, we recommend that you take it to an authorized MTD service dealer for this maintenance.
To locate a service dealer near you visit:
http://www.yardmachines.com/SrvSearch.jsp

To purchase service manuals or if you need further technical assistance with these Hydrogear® transmissions, call Hydrogear® at 217-728-2581.

http://www.hydro-gear.com/

Mike I have a 166768 Hydrogear.I have found the filter part # and price but do not know how to replace it. can someone help? Hydrogear is having phone problems.
A. j. TIBSON I HAVE A HYDRO GEAR #150071 IN A CRAFTMAN MOWER. WHAT TYPE OF OIL DOES THIS GEAR TAKE ?? THE OIL IN IT IS CLEAR DOESNT SMELL LIKE MOTOR OIL. PLEASE HELP THANKS
Jay Jewell I need to replace my hydro gear transmission can anyone tell me the steps to do to remove it from a american yard product statesman 50 inch cut mower? Thanks for the help.
john cogar what type of fluid do i use mtd riding mower.

yt

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: