Scotts Lawn Tractor Model# 1742G

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Scotts Lawn Tractor Model# 1742G

Matt Brightman Hi,

I recently purchased a Scotts Lawn Tractor second hand. The information I see on the machine indicates that was manufactured by John Deere. The following is identification information from the machine:

The machine is a 17HP tractor with a 42inch deck. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton INTEK.

Scotts Model# is 1742G
Date Code is: 032699
Product Identification Number is: GX1742S024820

Does anyone have any information on this tractor? I'm looking for things like Owners/Parts/Service Manuals?

Any thoughts on where I should I be going to obtain Parts and/or Service for it?

Is there a Sister Model that is/was sold by John Deere that I could reference when looking for parts/service, etc?

Any help or advice you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Thank you VERY much for you time and effort!!!!

Best Regards,
-Matt Brightman

Matt Brightman Quick update...

After some digging I've found some info. I called Scotts, and they referred me to John Deere Support. Called JD and they have the manuals, but they're pricey.

I ended up finding a download of the Owner's Manual at:

https://www.deere.com/en_US/scotts/serv_operators_manuals.html

This is the same part number manual that the JD rep wanted $25 for, so I'm happy with that.

I haven't been able to find any downloads of the Parts or Service Manuals. The part numbers for the manuals are as follows:

Parts Manual: PC2739
Tech/Service Manual: TM1776
Owners Manual: OMGX10784

If anyone has PDF's or downloads of the Parts or Service manuals, I'd be very appreciative. JD wants $20 for the parts and $85 for the service. To rich for my blood.

I haven't found any information yet on a Sister John Deere Model.

bontai Joe I'm about 90% sure that your Scotts tractor will cross over to the Deere Sabre line for most parts. You can access Deere's parts on line through their mani web site at www.deere.com You have to register and fill out some stuff, but you can set the forms so that they will not spam you and in exchange you will have access to their on line parts lists AND assembly drawings. As well as info on some attachments. It's not the easiest website to navigate thru, but once there, it's most informative.
Matt Joe,

Thanks for the tip on the Deere website. I did a little digging there this morning and found their site to be very useful. Was able to find the full breakdown of all the parts on the tractor along with the drawings. I found it by searching for model# S1742 instead of 1742G. Thank again!!!
-Matt

Boo Lyles I know you've figured this out by now...but what you have my friend is a John Deere mower painted orange
JOHN MCHUGH I have the same mower and need someone to help. I am putting the choke lever on and it just does not seem to fit as it did before i took it apart. Does anyone have a collored picture they could send me of how it looks...non of the illistrations or manuals previously stated help...

thank you!!! 847-542-0588

Don Knight I also need parts/service manual for mower s1742 (1742G).I'm like you, can't afford the price of one. Did you find where you can download one? I'd really appreciate any help.
Dan I found the TM1776 Technical Manual for $29.99 at www.bigdogmanuals.com Seems like a great price.

Link:

bigdogsmanuals.com/.../riding-mowers-tractors-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21.html

Gord Hey Matt,...How did you register on the site? I have the same tractor and would love to check out the pictures of the assembly.

Gord

Ethan I have a 1742G and the transmission went bad does anyone know where I can find a replacement transmission?
Joseph Gaboda Try this it help me
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet

Peter Pagliaccio u can down load the manual for the 1742G @.......
http://dl.owneriq.net/2/2141e15a-36a6-9594-0166-6f10fba50f44.pdf

It's very basic but helpful .... HOPE IT FULFILLS U'RE NEEDS

Peter Pagliaccio Matt....per u're note

Thanks for the tip on the Deere website. I did a little digging there this morning and found their site to be very useful. Was able to find the full breakdown of all the parts on the tractor along with the drawings. I found it by searching for model# S1742 instead of 1742G. Thank again!!!
-Matt

I've been at this for @#$#**** and can't come up with what u reference above. Can U copy and post that location.

thanx
pete

Terry Arledge I have a scotts 20hp 46" cut.I go to the John Deere dealer. tell them what I have & they pull it up on the coumpter.
Mike Watson I bought this tractor at home depot around 1999 and have had much luck with it. My problem ia fuel issue. Yesterday I was cutting grass and high weed and just about an hour into my job the engine seemed to slowly die.On subsequent attempts to start the engine it seemed okay but it died seconds later. Does anyone have a clue before I start to clean carburator what it might be. I also checked the fuel filter and the fuel flows nicly past that point. Thanks, Mike W
Gordon Taff I need a wiring harness. My dogs did a number on the wires. Does anyone know where to get one for a good price and how hard are they to install
Claire me and my husband have the same one and we have the manual.
Claire I need info on the
scott lawn tractor (465618x)

Chris Mike, I had the same issue and it ended up being the vent in the gas cap. Ran it without the cap for a while and the problem disappeared.
Dwanna Need help taking off the tire. Can't find key for wheel!
Leslie Scott lawn tractor S1742. The battery terminals were connected backwards. Any ideas what I killed?
Joe Looking for belt diagram for model #1742G. Thanks
Doug I have a Scotts 17.5 HP 42in cut tractor, & it stopped moving on me, turns out not only had I lost my wheel key but my axle is sticking out an extra 3inches. tried tapping it gently back in but it didn't budge. I guess I need to take it apart.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: