John Deere Hydrostatic drive trouble

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractors / Garden Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere Hydrostatic drive trouble

jd Need suggestions: My brothers JD about a 1980 model lawn tractor with 14 hp Koler engine will not pull.
The JD dealer says he needs a new or rebuilt Hydrostatic drive $1300. Now my questions?
What are common problems, troubles , sheared pins, gears, and etc?

Does JD make this hydro drive or get it from someone else, if so who make it?

I don't know the tractor model # at this posting but I will have it next week. The tractor is at the JD dealer. Any help or info is appreciated

Duane : Need suggestions: My brothers JD about a 1980 model lawn tractor with 14 hp Koler engine will not pull.
: The JD dealer says he needs a new or rebuilt Hydrostatic drive $1300. Now my questions?
: What are common problems, troubles , sheared pins, gears, and etc?

: Does JD make this hydro drive or get it from someone else, if so who make it?

: I don't know the tractor model # at this posting but I will have it next week. The tractor is at the JD dealer. Any help or info is appreciated

Duane JD,

If you look on the transmission, it will give you the transmission make and model number. Most all tractor OEMs get their transmissions from one of the 3 to 4 tranny manuf.'s

Was the tranny problem gradual, or happen all of a sudden? Give some more specifics on the details and symptoms of your problems and hopefully this forum can help.

Bud : Need suggestions: My brothers JD about a 1980 model lawn tractor with 14 hp Koler engine will not pull.
: The JD dealer says he needs a new or rebuilt Hydrostatic drive $1300. Now my questions?

: I don't know the tractor model # at this posting but I will have it next week. The tractor is at the JD dealer. Any help or info is appreciated
If this stared suddenlyand it is full of oil with no serious leaks. Check the Drive shaft.Back then John Deere used a drive pin thru the U-jointand shaft out of the pump. Check to see if the shaft going into the pump turns with the drive shaft.

Dave Frank - I had an Agri-Fab unit that would spread both, along with fertilizer in the summer. Only issue was, rather than salt, I had to use de-icer pellets (since they were smaller than the salt grains). The gear setup was exposed on that unit, and the sand did cause some wear. However, it did not seem to bother the performance. - Dave
Dave Frank - I had an Agri-Fab unit that would spread both, along with fertilizer in the summer. Only issue was, rather than salt, I had to use de-icer pellets (since they were smaller than the salt grains). The gear setup was exposed on that unit, and the sand did cause some wear. However, it did not seem to bother the performance. - Dave
harold : JD,

: If you look on the transmission, it will give you the transmission make and model number. Most all tractor OEMs get their transmissions from one of the 3 to 4 tranny manuf.'s

: Was the tranny problem gradual, or happen all of a sudden? Give some more specifics on the details and symptoms of your problems and hopefully this forum can help.

will not go forward after go a few yard and become noisy, will go backward but after a few yard and then stop moving and noisy.

harold
will only go a few feet or yards and stop moving
and make a grinding noisy

harold
will only go a few feet or yards and stop moving
and make a grinding noisy. this is a john deere G-100 lawn tractor with 54 in. deck

burt i have a scotts riding mower by john deere - 42" deck in great shape, only problem is the hydro transmission. When i put it in forward, it goes in reverse and vice versa. Not sure whats going on.
mike : Need suggestions: My brothers JD about a 1980 model lawn tractor with 14 hp Koler engine will not pull.

I have a JD LT 155. Drive belt for hydro drive jumps off. (2X) Broke blades on pulley 2nd time.
seems to happen when brake is engaged. Pulley still turns.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractors / Garden Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: