Honda ht3813 riding mower

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractors / Garden Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Honda ht3813 riding mower

Thomas Brown I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.
Phil Sounds like a spark plug problem. Try a hotter plug.

Jim M : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

I don't know if you recieved my e_mail of a couple of weeks ago but I have a HT3813. It had the same problems as yours and what it needed was a new timing belt. It cost $175.00 at the Honda dealer and now runs great. Good Luck Jim M.

William Paavola : Sounds like a spark plug problem. Try a hotter plug.

The carb on this mower has a plastic float and a non-replaceable seat. The needle and float can be replaced and that may help. The carb may be running rich because of a high level. No way to adjust float level though. I have gone to mixing alcohol with the gas to reduce the richness of the mixture. That has made a significant improvement.

Also the float bowl is vented to atmosphere. If the air cleaner is clogged this increases the vacuum at the venturi also causing a rich mixture.

Joe Foley : : Sounds like a spark plug problem. Try a hotter plug.

: The carb on this mower has a plastic float and a non-replaceable seat. The needle and float can be replaced and that may help. The carb may be running rich because of a high level. No way to adjust float level though. I have gone to mixing alcohol with the gas to reduce the richness of the mixture. That has made a significant improvement.

: Also the float bowl is vented to atmosphere. If the air cleaner is clogged this increases the vacuum at the venturi also causing a rich mixture.

I solved that type of problem by manufacturing a foam filter like in a lawn mower, using the steel plates from the stock filter.

Joe Foley : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

Thomas, E-mail me and I will tell you what worked for me.

James Blue : : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

: Thomas, E-mail me and I will tell you what worked for me.

John Sonner : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

John Sonner : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.
I also have a Ht3813 and bought it new 17 years ago it has done the same thing since new,i found if you reduce oil level slightly it will stop the smoke and the missing will go away.

Ron Wellman I have a HT3813 which has same problem. Has been back to Honda shop several times and still has same problem. I have noticed that when it starts failing that you can hear the fuel pump continue to run. After the tractor cools down then the fuel pump shuts off very quickly after turning the ignition switch on.
skip I had exactly those symptoms with my mower. Someone had overfilled the oil. After I drained the excess it still smoked for a couple of hours.
I was looking for information on hydrostatic transmissions. Is yours a manual or hydro?
P.S. My wife took it to the dealer and was told it needed a new engine.

Rick I have a HT3813 that runs great when it has spark to start with. The problem is, that most of the time it just turns but has no spark to the plugs. I have no idea why, but sometimes it has spark and starts right up and runs fine. It seems like the hotter it is, the more likely it it to have spark to the plugs.
Anybody have any ideas that may help me figure out what is causing this?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Arvin from Mt. Hope Canada Hi Rick , Don,t let my email address shy you away, it,s a long story, anyhooooooo, I have bought 2 used ht3813 mowers like you have. I,m just trying to make one out of the 2 .My Dad has had his since honda brought them out , no probs with his . Now getting back to your problem just might be a bad or poor connection ,check all the plugin connecters esspecialy around the battery area , cause the acid that is produced from the battery will cause corrosion and this could cause your problem. Check all your grounds & hope that it works for you. Let me know if you have any other probs with your machine, I am a qualified mechanic & I like a challenge now & again. Have a great day & hope to hear back from you . Arvin . byeeeeeeeee
Almon Smart : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

Almon Smart : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

I am looking for a good cylinder head for a honda HT 3813 rixing mower, 2 cylinder water cooled type engine.
almonsm10@yahoo.com

tom blevins : : Sounds like a spark plug problem. Try a hotter plug.

: The carb on this mower has a plastic float and a non-replaceable seat. The needle and float can be replaced and that may help. The carb may be running rich because of a high level. No way to adjust float level though. I have gone to mixing alcohol with the gas to reduce the richness of the mixture. That has made a significant improvement.

: Also the float bowl is vented to atmosphere. If the air cleaner is clogged this increases the vacuum at the venturi also causing a rich mixture.

i have the same mower always ran great until recently after it warms up the throttle just rises and rises ion iots own until it sounds klike its going to blow up . you cant hardly manually adjust it down or it will die but after itcools off it will run again fine until it gets hot? help

Donna I aquired a honda HT3813 riding lawn mower. we replaced the rad last year, and the fan this year. the mechanic said the motor is in great shape. my problem is, i was mowing the lawn the other day, until it ran out of gas, so i filled it up, and when i went to start it again, it was dead. no noise at all. i tried to start it the next day thinking it needed a cool down period or something, and its still dead. if anybody had any idea what it might be, im up for any suggestions. i really dont want to bring it to the shop and spend more $$ on it.
thanks in advance if you can help.

jack nugent check the spark plugs, clean or replace both plugs, the single coil fires both plugs at the same time if one is fouling out neither will spark
Jake Depuydt This is my plight. Last year I bought a HT3813 serial no 5012959. I used it for one season. Now it is in my garage in need of receiving major money attention. The local dealer says it will cost too much for the time to fix the mower than what it is worth. He said this with not knowing what is wrong with it. I'm sure the drive clutch or transmission or both is on the blink. I bought the lawn mower with a snow blower attachment for 900 bucks. Now I don't know what to do with it. Anyone in need of a parts mower and blower from Minnesota?

Jim Parish I have an excellent ht 3813 but the pto clutch is bad. If your pto clutch is good would you be interested in removing it from your machine and selling it to me? Thanks for your reply at my e mail address.
larryccf2 i've got a HT3813 that i bought new in 1990 and absolutely love it - has never had a problem, been well maintained (oil changes, air filter cleaned after every use, etc)

haven't used it for the past 5 years other than to run it once every month or so
am in process of going thru it to put it back into service and am trying to find info on checking the oil level in the hydrostat transmission
and info on the spindles going down thru the deck, the same spindles the cutting blades blades attach to. Those spindles have always "howled" whenever i set the blade lever to cut, but i figure after 19 years, there must be bearings in there that would like some grease or oil - any help on that would be appreciated. I looked at the microfiche at the dealer ship, but all it shows is a single "assembly" for $169 each - before i pull the deck, any input appreciated

thanks in advance

larryccf2 found a honda svc manual for the 3813 - and got the info i needed
and found the adjustment for the frigging delay in the clutch - ie, after selecting a new gear, there'd be a 15-20 second delay before it would move again - actually a simple adjustment - now it's back to a one second delay, per the manual

tks anyway

if anyone needs any info from the manual, throw me an email at

snake bad coil check engine coil or the stator. you are losing voltage.
snake : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

you have a bad coil or stator check those out once the coil gets hot it will lose power thats why you are losing power and the blue smoke coil is gone.

Aaron : : : Sounds like a spark plug problem. Try a hotter plug.

: : The carb on this mower has a plastic float and a non-replaceable seat. The needle and float can be replaced and that may help. The carb may be running rich because of a high level. No way to adjust float level though. I have gone to mixing alcohol with the gas to reduce the richness of the mixture. That has made a significant improvement.

: : Also the float bowl is vented to atmosphere. If the air cleaner is clogged this increases the vacuum at the venturi also causing a rich mixture.

: I solved that type of problem by manufacturing a foam filter like in a lawn mower, using the steel plates from the stock filter.

Aaron
I bought a Honda HT 3813 a couple years ago at a rummage sale. It ran great until last fall. It would start and run fine for about 5 minutes and then stutter and die. Took it in and they changed plugs, fuel filter, oil, and air filter with general tune up. Well, I got it back and it has the same problem. Starts fine, runs fine until it warms up. I tried loosening the gas cap, no better. I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic. Help!

Jon I have the HT3813, also. The 'howling' is generated from the larger pulley assembly (aluminum) that has the main drive belt attached. I replaced the bearing on this pulley, and cured the 'howling' problem. There are bearings for each pulley assembly that can be bought separately. Replacement of these bearings is only option. They are sealed bearings.
Stan I've been reading all the replies & to me I'd always thought it was a 'too rich' problem but until it happened to me I couldn't actually comment as to what was causing it.

As someone else mentioned the carby needle seat is plastic, crimped in & not replaceable 'but' if you lever it out (via the small tab facing the outside of the carby) you see that there's a seal around it ... 'that' is what is leaking & causing the engine to run rich & eventually flood. You could replace the seal with a generic 'o' ring or you could do as I did & use silicone sealant. Works perfectly now!

Stan : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

I've been reading all the replies & to me I'd always thought it was a 'too rich' problem but until it happened to me I couldn't actually comment as to what was causing it.

As someone else mentioned the carby needle seat is plastic, crimped in & not replaceable 'but' if you lever it out (via the small tab facing the outside of the carby) you see that there's a seal around it ... 'that' is what is leaking & causing the engine to run rich & eventually flood. You could replace the seal with a generic 'o' ring or you could do as I did & use silicone sealant. Works perfectly now!

Kenneth A. Menke I have the same mower, haven't used it in years but loved it but have a larger lawn to take care of so I got a Kubota. Now I'd like to put it back in use, runs good but the clutch slips and delays when engaged. Where can i get a manual or can someone tell me how to work on it? I am fairly mechanically inclined so I can do most jobs my self plus now I'm retired and have lots of time.Ken
larryccf here's where i got mine http://www.repairmanual.com/lawnmowers/ - have seen it since for a few bucks cheaper on other websites - you can google Honda lawn tractor repair manuals

and before it has you scratching the back of your head, like it did me, when you see a bolt referenced ie "16MM bolt", honda is referring to the bolt diameter, not the bolt head - i had to pull the flywheel, and it showed the bolt was 16MM, and the wrench size was actually 23MM so i had to finish the job the next night as i didn't have the right size on hand

larryccf luckily you can get to it without removing the engine or the flywheel - it's under the black plastic cover at the rear of the engine - it's a transistorized magneto, so it's generating it's own spark or electricity - the stator is under the flywheel (which requires engine to come out to get to) but the stator is only for recharging the battery and run the headlights

if you order the honda svc manual, it has the specs for checking continunity on the ignition coil, which will tell you if it's bad

the magnet that works that coil (the coil magneto works similiar to a stator in an altenator, is simply bonded onto the flywheel - there's a possiblity that has fallen off, but if it's not at the bottom of that black plastic cover, you'll need a new flywheel. If it is there, be sure to bond it on as exact to the spot it came off of, ie try to match up the broken epoxy so it fits exactly where it was as that controls timing - there is no timing adjustment on that engine - it's supposed to be 24 BTDC but you cannot make any adjustment

now for the bad news - the ignition coil is $150 approx at boats.net which has discounted pricing

i just bought a spare 3813, kind of beat up but still running, to have parts on hand to swap and confirm something is bad before ordering

larryccf as most of the silicone sealers are vulnerable to gas - permatex offers some that are fairly resistant to automotive fuel but you have to special order them (i had an issue with an experimental aircraft enging gas tank, and did a little research on this).

also, so you guys are made aware, the new alcohol blended gases are causing a lot of problems, ruining seals, causing corrosion in fittings, engine pumps etc

larryccf2 got mine from repairmanuals.com, iirc paid about $44 + shipping. Some folks have posted that honda dealers can get a CD version from honda for $20 but it's hard to read a CD or laptop out in the sunlight in the driveway - and i'd rather have greasey fingerprints on the paper manual than on my laptop

the clutch adjustment is a three to four step affair, pretty neat once the manual explains it but it would be a complete mystery without

the adjustment for the delay in the clutch once you release the shift lever is a really simple one and makes sense once you realize that the dampner is controlling how quickly the clutch is released to re-engage (when you pull the lever toward the seat to change to next gear, that action depresses the clutch or dis-engages it, that dampner is what or why honda called this a MAT or Mechanical Automatic Transmission.

The clutch delay adjustment is easy though - look in toward the center over top the right rear wheel - you'll see a 12MM nut facing you (actually it will look like two nuts, one behind the other - at first i thought one was a lock nut and would be impossible to get to, but it's actually welded one pc with the nut you can see in the front - turn it clockwise - mine had a delay of about 12 - 15 seconds - after about 10 - 12 half turns in, it came down to 1 second, which is what the manual calls for.

also, there's an index marker that tells you how much clutch life you have left - mine, after 12 years of useage, still showing at least 70% wear left

one tip - when you do the clutch adjustments, plan on pulling the rear seat, and seat pan/rear fenders off - won't take 10 minutes but will make everything so much easier to see and get to

to be frank, from what i've learned about the later series, ie the 4514 and up, i'm glad i've got the MAT system. The hydrostatic trans is nicer to use but when it generates any issue (and a lot of things effect it including low oil level) it's more intense to diagnose and correct
and the later series also were more complicated in terms of engine management. the 3813 has a simple transistorized magneto - either it works or it doesn't and fairly simple to diagnose.

something interesting you might want to know - i bought a 46" deck from a 4518, to mount on my 3813. got started today (finally) and had thought to get from the 4518 owner the subframe (subframe that the rear fenders/seat pan bolt to) and a lot of the linkage.

the subframe simply replaced the 3813's orig subframe and the linkage looks like a simple connection. Only issue, there is some interference in the trans shift linkage with the deck's linkage - either i have to do without the first two settings (ie, no 1 & 1/2" or 2" cut settings, which i don't use anyway) or remake one pc of the linkage which isn't that difficult either). THe frame for the 3813 and 4500 series is the same ladder frame, the subframe bolted up to the same exact threaded openings

Tom Greetings to all.
I have just joined the HT3813 club! We purchased 5+ acres and I was searching for an 'inexpensive' mower to get by this year. I saw one of these in a front yard for sale, so I picked it up. It even had the owners manual. So far it seems to run fine, just needs a few minor things.
I am looking for a link to a service manual if anyone knows a good price for one.
I would like to check the differential oil, but I can't find the spec for what type of oil goes in the hole. If anyone has the info, I would appreciate a message.
Thanks
Tom

Stan It's been over 2 months now & it's still holding up fine. It's been getting used every week more as a tractor than a mower cleaning up after the Black Saturday fires. I figure if it goes again, it's a quick fix & I'll research for something better next time.
B-Scott : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

Hello all, I have had a HT3813 since 1987, Been a great mower. I just had a problem and need help with. My blades try to turn when I try to start it. So I am sure its the PTO clutch is stuck on even with it disengaged. Is this an ajustment or clutch bad. The blades never gave an indication that they were slipping prior. Thnaks for input before I tear into it.

B-Scott : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

Hello all, I have had a HT3813 since 1987, Been a great mower. I just had a problem and need help with. My blades try to turn when I try to start it. So I am sure its the PTO clutch is stuck on even with it disengaged. Is this an ajustment or clutch bad. The blades never gave an indication that they were slipping prior. Thnaks for input before I tear into it.

larryccf suggest you get a copy of the honda svc manual - i have the same lawn tractor and have the manual and it's invaluable - that PTO clutch is more than likely bad, frozen or corroded as it shouldn't be turning the belt when it's dis-engaged.

that pto clutch is a little complicated to dis-assemble and re-assemble and that's where the manual comes in real handy. parts schematics can be viewed, and parts ordered at http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Lawn%20Tractor/0/parts.html

your's should be the first HT 3813 SA listed, about the 3rd up from the bottom, but best to have your serial number when you order parts

they've also been the best for parts pricing. and be ready for a shocker on the clutch pricing - they're not cheap - if the clutch itself is bad, there's also a brake disc or brake plate, it should be replace with the clutch disc, in a set. And considering the age of your clutch, there's a bearing in there you might want to replace as well

larryccf svc manual can be had at repairmanual.com - that's where i got mine, iirc price was about $42. I've seen folks post that the honda dealer can sell you the svc manual on CD for $20 but a svc manual is easier to read or use in the driveway than a CD
larryccf sorry, forgot to tell you where you can get a copy of the svc manual - svc manual can be had at repairmanual.com - that's where i got mine, iirc price was about $42. I've seen folks post that the honda dealer can sell you the svc manual on CD for $20 but a svc manual is easier to read or use in the driveway than a CD
Tom I see the next gen mower after this one doesn't have the fan in the deck. Has anyone removed the fan on a HT3813? Is there any reason to keep it in there? Could save a horse or two not having to spin that fan along with the blades.
Your thoughts.....

larry : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

larry change the air filter.
Larry Take the air cleaner cover off and remove the air filter and start the motor. If it runs fine, replace or clean the air filter.
Mike I have a HT3813 and its running ok but i have a vaccum line (only one) coming off the carb and I don't have a clue were it connects. I have looked on the breather itself and there aren't any places for it to be connected there. Any help would be appreciated.
Tom Hi.
I am currently rebuilding the deck and a few other components of my 3813. A short while ago a service manual was sent to me, but due to moving I have lost it. Can someone here send a link or details on where I can obtain the service manual?
Thanks!
Tom

Ben McClure : I recently acquired a Honda HT- 3811 riding mower...engine runs fine...when I engage the mower, it bogs down immidiately...I dont know if its a kill switch problem, or maybe the drive belt is not properly installed...please advise
thanks

TRAVIS TAYLOR hey larry hope you can helplooking for how to align the timing belt on my 3813,if you have this info it would be greatly appreciated.
William Post larryccf2,

I have the same problem with my 3813. I am having a long delay when I shift gears and on initial gear selection as well. Can you elaborate on where the adjustment is located and what the adjustment is. That is the only issue I have with this mower other than that it has worked great. Cant beat the FREE price I paid for it either. Fresh gas and a carb clean and she has run perfect.

Tom Well, I answered my own question. I spent the winter rebuilding the deck, new bearings, paint, bit of welding also. I plugged the holes where the fan draws air and left the squirrel cage fan out. It seems to work OK, the blades have a lot of lift to them anyway. I don't know if it saves any hp, but I would think it took a little to spin the fan.
FYI

Tom

Rob I have a Honda HT3813, I got it from my buddys dad for $100. The only problem I seem to be having now is I put two brand new spark plugs in the darn thing right from the honda dealer, same number as the owners manual, but I can't run the thing for more than about 3 hrs before the plugs are all fouled out and covered with about 1/16" of carbon build-up. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Rob

Steve I'm going to guess that your overhead cam chain has jumped a cog which has screwed up the valve timing.
chelsea Hill i have a honda model number 3813. i am wondering where the gears have to be lined up to put the belt on and put it in time.

r l donnells : : : I recently acquired a Honda HT3813 riding mower. The mower will start fine and idle ok, but after it gradually begins to warm up it begins to miss ocasionally. As it begins to miss, it also begins to smoke (blue), and looses power. Eventually it gets to the point it won't hardly even run at all. I have been told, that water in the fuel can cause similar symptoms, but I have checked that. The outward appearance of the engine is extremely clean. I have checked the compression and both cylinders are right at 98lbs. Is that sufficient, or is that my problem? The darn runs good until it starts missing and smoking, then it's pretty much down hill from there. Also, if worn rings are the culprit, why doesn't it miss and smoke when you first start it? Thanks(in advance) for the info.

: : Thomas, E-mail me and I will tell you what worked for me.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractors / Garden Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: