What is better Kohler Vs. Briggs & Stratton Engines

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

What is better Kohler Vs. Briggs & Stratton Engines

Nick I have made my decision, I am going with one of the Sears Craftsmans 25+hp 54 in deck. What is the best engine, the Kohler or Briggs&Stratton? Even if you feel I could purchase a better garden tractor then the Craftsman to cut 2 1/2 level lot is please let me know. Thank You
daviddude get the briggs its a much better engine
Rob So it's between the 27HP ELS Briggs and the 26HP Kohler Pro? Both are very good engines and are priced nearly alike. I prefer the large Kohler in this instance. More because it's in the DGT 6000 rather than any big time quality difference.
Ron Briggs & Stratton, for sure. When you get the tractor, read the manual cover to cover, do all the required maintanance just like it says, and you will be very happy with your purchase.
John I've had experience with both Briggs & Kohler engines, my personal favorite is the Kohler, but either will give you great service if maintained properly.

daviddude kohlers like to toss right cylinder rods
rifraf in Canada I have a Craftsman 25hp with a 46inch deck and I LOVE it lotsa power,starts great,good on fuel,and it sounds like a V8, rifraf in Canada
Bonza So is it a briggs or a Kohler !!!
Dave Maybe an older kholer would be better, but the new ones are too untested, and unexperienced. Briggs has a good rep, and makes a fine engine. My grandpa has a reel mower with an old Briggs on it, about 60 years old (the engine, that is), and it's still running fine. And all he did was give it proper maitenance. He still cuts a lot with it. So, get the Briggs, and if you listen to what John and Ron say about maitenance, you'll have that engine and tractor for 20+ years, no sweat. Good luck!!
Nick
I am going to go with the DGT 6000. Thanks

bontai Joe I'd base my choice on how expensive and how available parts are for each in my area. The engines are both good, and each company also has a chance of a bad one sneaking out. Unless you particularly like the sound of one vs. the other, or can see that changing the oil is much easier on one than the other, I'd go with what I can get parts for easiest. Many of these engine discussions are based on opinions of old design engines we have had experience with that have no relation to today's product. I love the old Kohler "K" series single cylinder cast iron block engines, but that has no value in answering your question, because those engines are not put into today's machines.
Gerald Crane 2yrs ago I bought a Sears GT5000 with a 26hp Briggs and Stratton ELS. Jan this year, still within the 2year warranty time my engine started smoking and knocking. I took mower to Sears and got the run around. Took it to a Certified Briggs dealer after a month. He reported Broken rod, scared cylinders. Diagnosed no oil, no warranty. I took engine off of tractor to find that the Quick oil change fitting was finger tight and had dumped the oil in a pan that made this problem hidden. Took motor back to sears and showed them. They would take no action. Took it back to Certified Briggs Dealer. He told me Yes, that was obvious from seeing the oil mess but that it was a Sears problem because they add the oil dump valve not Briggs. My yard needed mowing and I was getting the run around. So I bought another Sears 5000 GT with the Kolher 25 hp. I did this reluctenly, as I now dislike Sears and Briggs. I will use my beatiful broken GT5000 for parts. At least the Kohler had used a thread seal at this oil drain fitting. P.S. I have 14 honda engines, most have low oil shutoffs. Most have over 10 years of use. Not one has ever, given me a problem.

Tom FYI everyone. The 24 & 26 hp Briggs engine from 2004 & 2005 has a design flaw in the intake manifold. It sucks in RAW, DIRTY AIR around the filter.

Scars the piston rings and cylinder.

Briggs won't admit it and will give you a runaround you won't believe but an honest service center will admit it and have the engine replaced with a brand new one.

I'll never buy another Briggs after the runaround I got from them.

Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mower HUSQVARNA ROCKS!

Gary I have A 04 GT5000 with the 26hp briggs. I have a little over 100 hours on it and have not had any problems at all.
I don't see anything wrong with the air filter system on mine. I guess time will tell.
Guy down the road has the kolher and 3 head gastets so far. His is a 01 same tractor.
At one time Kolher was a great engine, now days I'm not so sure.

911 The Military Machine (in any country) needs to breathe, so instead of a military coup, they tell to the Govt. "Give Us War" and Govt. finds them a WAR to go to. So the Shrub had to give his military some WAR to play at. And for WAR there must've been a REASON. So they MADE a reason by hiring some "terrorists" and some EMPTY planes to hit the WTC. Even if the planes were really hijacked (how terrible for the Govt. is to do that!!) (or perhaps Larry Silverstein hired the hijackers), the WTC was ARTIFICIALLY "attacked" be it Govt. or Silverstein.
The Pentagon attack was definitely the job of the Govt. (military wingless rocket) for a reason to go to war. WTC was BOTH - SILVERSTEIN, MAFIA and GOVT. Silverstein, and MAFIA wanted the WTC gone in order to PROFIT from insurance scam and to build new "WTC" there with better offices etc. GOVT. wanted out of this WTC "attack" a REASON for going to WAR.

Tom Gerald, I had the same problem with mine. Sears and Briggs won't be getting any of my business again either. My 26 HP Briggs lasted only 2 years. It replaced a Kolher mower of 22 years at only 12 hp. The GT5000 also eats belts.
Robert Sears 25hp intek All maintenance performed by sears when required. Last year starts to smoke and knock.(Only 212 hrs) in 4 years. Not going to buy fake tractors any more. Just bought 23 year ole cub cadet only 375 hrs It will replace craftsman mower when it goes to the landfill.
Dan Same thing. I have a 25 hp intek. Sears replaced motor once, replace carb. twice and now service came and said it was the fuel pump. Guess what yep that wasn't it either. Still doesn't run. No more Briggs or Sears!!!!!!!!!!1
P. Rhed I have had the kolher in a Sears gt5000 for 5 years, not a problem at all yet. The secret is change oil about every 50 or so hours, new fram filter, and keep the blades sharp. I mow over 8 acres with it and it does the job well
rjs kohler is way better than briggs and stratton my gosh wake up kohler is the best
Joe I have a 24HP Briggs with 97 Hours on it. Run Synthetic oil, do regular maintenance. Lost a cyl today. Pulled off valve cover. One valve bent way bad, other completely gone. Guessing in bottom end of engine now. Who knows why. Not impressed.
mjd Don't even THINK about a Briggs and Stratton.In first 2 years I had a Craftsman with 26 hp ELS twin cylinder Sears had to put on 2 Briggs engines. 1st engine smoked horribly; replacement threw a rod. Sears and Briggs both refused to do anything since out of warranty. Took to Briggs dealer; told there's a serious problem with the air intake filtration system on Briggs causing the problems. Replacing would be $1500. They said to trash it; recommended getting a Kohler or Kawasaki.
MDJ ID have to say Briggs over kohler. I have a 1984 model Yardman and has the briggs and stratton 14hp engine. The machine is fine runnign and all I have done to it is change the oil and filter, other than that nothing and its still like brand new. Now KOhler not to sure about them but like a vehicle not every engine is perfect, sometimes depends on the operator too.
MWN I have a 21 hp Briggs & Stratton. I have had it for about 7 years and have treated it like crap. Never changed the oli, just added. Never changed the oil filter. I cut grass 4ft tall all the time. I must say the engine works great. I drove it until the front end fell apart on me and the wheels almost fell off. But, like i said I treated it badly. I just use them and discard them, then buy another. So I am on my way to sears to get another. Hope it last 7 years too.

ken Briggs is not the quality it once was. Having problems with quality control in recent years. Kohlers are better engines today. Plus they are used in heavy industries as well. Ergo, they have to be tough.
chris Your a friggin moron.
Ron Jeremy Kohler is better. Wish they had more Tecumsehs out there though. Briggs valve seats tend to come loose. They also have plastic intakes and carbs. Briggs is the standard issue lawn mower engine...not bad...but not great either.
Jon My father and I both had Craftsman mowers that lasted 15-20 years, so naturally, we both bought Craftsman mowers again about two and a half years ago when we needed new ones. We bought identical 3500 series with the Briggs Intek 20hp engines (31P977-0036) and have always kept our mowers properly maintained.

Barely two months and maybe 10 hours of use went by before we both started having problems. His was having carb problems (choke sticking) and mine started making a grinding noise inside the engine and lost most of it's power. Sears replaced the engine on my mower and almost instantly, I started having the same carb problems. After replacing the carb a couple of times on each mower, Sears said that there was not really anything they could do to fix this apparent design flaw.

Fast forward to just after the two year warranty runs out. His engine goes bad, making the same grinding noise that mine had made. Now it is two months later and I can hear my engine starting to make the noise again, although not as bad yet. I figure I'm going to ride her 'till she quits and get a Husqvarna with a Kohler engine this time. Neither Craftsman or Briggs are what they once were.

Stephan Kholer is much better and by far, only the Vanguard series from B&S can be compared to the Kholer engines. B&S have been sleeping for a few years, just like Honda and others like Kawasaki, Subaru, Kholer will take the market in the next few years. So the answer is Kholer all the way, I have used both engines and I never had a Kholer engine letting me down, but I have had many B&S do, they were all replaced by Kholer or Subaru or Kawasaki - do not get caught by the brand name they are being used by!!! the engine is the most vital part of any equipment.
Engstfeld I have an LT1000 Craftsman with a Briggs that I've used for 6 years. The engine has NEVER given me a lick of trouble. Always started up easy without a problem. Got rid of it not because of the engine, but because it kept eating up spindles.
Replaced it with a Kohler Toro ZTR just recently. Hope the engine behaves as well as the Briggs did.

Jetrry Hinson Is a Husqvarna lawn mower LTH 1542 Kohler Courage 15 a good buy for $450.00 Is this a better motor that the Briggs ?
Jordan D Now from personal experience, I can lend a valid guide between the Kohler and Briggs.
Now the Briggs engine is good, but not great, and I wouldn't recommend it for today. We had an old Sarlo mower with an 8 hp Briggs motor on it, and it wasn't a fantastic engine. It ran fine for a good number of years, but ended up blowing a hole in the side from the piston shaft breaking clean in half. Bought a new arm, fixed the hole, and it ran crappy from then on. We now have John Deere with a Kohler Command 17.5 hp engine that actually is running better now than it did new. It is 6 years old with over 180 hours of use, no sputter, no oil leakage, no fluctuating in speed, and it runs great. And did I mention that the Briggs after 7 years we had it, lost power all the way down to about a 5 horsepower.

Mark The problem with most of these newer engines is the carburetor. These are made in japan or china, often times varying on the same model engine depending on date code. These newer carbs have smaller jets to comply with California law. The fuel that is sold now gums these up a lot quicker than the old style gas. Otherwise I still like Briggs even if my 6.5hp tiller engine has lost a valve keeper recently.
terry m
Re: What is better Kohler Vs. Briggs & Stratton Engines

i have a 2005 cub cadet with a 24 HP briggs and as
of today has 355 hours and runs like a champ, had
no problems so far (knock knock). i mow about
2.2 acres a week with it not level ground either
and so far so good. can't really complain about mine. my dad had one with a kohler and its broke
a crank right after he got it. he had it repaired
and since then no problems. i have always been a briggs guy but the new engines i am not real familiar with. the old I/C engines were like tanks
i wore out 2 lowes chassis with one engine.
but so far the 24 HP briggs is ok.

terry m
n.c.

Michguy49 HEY! The ingersol people had a bomb(oops) nice 14hp engine that buick in 1969 used to run the air conditioning on its duece and a quarter(thats a 225) electra to you squares. We in flint used that for a buick garden tractor and ATE up everything else!
mechanic i ask the lawn mower repair guy he said there all the same. my brother works for white westington house they make the craftsman mowers & a whole bunch of other brands come off the same assembley line .there is not one over another you get agood one u got a good one know what i mean.
jim I had an old Toro rider with a 12 hp B&S I/C engine on it. Even after setting outside all winter it started right up after charging the battery and putting in fresh fuel. 2 1/2 years ago I bought a new Craftsman DLS 3500 with a 20 hp B&S Intek engine which just threw a rod last month.

The new B&S engines are junk, at least the ones Sears seem to use. I won't ever be buying another Craftsman mower and I will be thinking hard about buying a newer one with a Briggs engine.

BTW: I have talked to 2 small engine mechanics who have said the same thing. Older B&S engines last forever but the new ones are not worth bringing home.

cliff
Koehler is by far the best,I have had one for 16 years,and put fuel pump on it once,and nothing else,mine is a 15 hp and cut 2 acres weekly,and it has never used oil,the cutting is on hills too,there is one thing wrong right now,getting a lot of play in the steering,so bought an ariens 20 hp briggs,and its going back soon,when you start it all it does is spit and sputter,will never buy another,should have stayed with koe!!hler

cliff
Koehler is by far the best,I have had one for 16 years,and put fuel pump on it once,and nothing else,mine is a 15 hp and cut 2 acres weekly,and it has never used oil,the cutting is on hills too,there is one thing wrong right now,getting a lot of play in the steering,so bought an ariens 20 hp briggs,and its going back soon,when you start it all it does is spit and sputter,will never buy another,should have stayed with koehler!!

ken i own a 1993 mtd yard machine... it still runs the same 16 hp b&s it came with out the factory... and just this year i had to have the choke cleaned out... the seals were still great the gaskets still great... but the mower is getting old and my boss says tht the new b&s r bad... and he has 6 kohler 25 hp engines and loves the ease of maintanance...
Don I bought a Sears Kohler Pro CV16S single cyl, OH valve, Cast Cyl, Hyd Valv, full press lube and it has been working for 15 years. I use fuel stablizer to keep gas clean. Never had a problem. I don't trust the Kohler Courage as the single cyl pro is not offered. I think the quality of consumer engines are of poor quality today.
Peter I had the original Cub Cadet Mower with Kohler. Ran over 50-60 years old with no problems. Finally threw the rod.

Also had Sears with Kohler. Hulled tons and tons of rock, sand, etc. for about 8 years not a single issue. 2002 model.

Rick I have a Scott's 42" riding mower with a Kohler Command 15hp single cyclinder engine that I bought new back in 1998. Now after 12 years of perfect running each week, it just started to "spit & sputter". After an hour of cleaning the carb, it's running perfect again.
I would go with the Kohler just from my experience with one.

Chris Kohler by far. Briggs are manufactured with a certain amount of "allowable" slop. I know this because I worked at the factory in Rolla before it closed it's doors and moved to China. Kohler will last longer and is a superior design to a Briggs. It's a far better balanced engine, even the single cylinders are better.
Nick Briggs and Stratton used to make a great engine - not so much anymore. Have had two in the past 5 years. One siezed and the other burns so much oil my neighbors are going to call the EPA on me. Stick w/Kohler. Don't know why they went down in quality and durability but.........
Jorge Vera hello where is the main manufacturer briggs stratton or kohler and if I can have your e-mail or phone to sign me my email is jdlever _06@yahoo.es
thaks

nicklinn @Gerald Crane: "...that it was a Sears problem because they add the oil dump valve not Briggs."

Oil drains, Gas tanks, mufflers, and most of the electrical system are typically installed by the OEM. I think you are mad at the wrong people.

When you bought your mower the sales guy really should have done a basic inspection of the mower before it left the door. As a service shop for briggs and kohler we see this a lot from big box stores. If they had taken the time to tell you what you needed to know you would have noticed the problem in the first 5 hours since that is when the first oil change is due (it flushes any metal particles from sump from manufacture). Most respectable dealerships will give you the first oil change for free.

Paul Someone actually brought Tecumseh into this conversation?? wow...
steve I've been researching to by a mower and I have decided on an Ariens it's been made in America by the Arien family for over 75 years and is now in 4th generation family ownership so that decision being made it was on to the engine choice. Looking at other sites and reading all these posts I'm leaning heavily toward giving the Kohler a shot.
Kohler or BS Decision I am going to buy a Craftsman YT 4500 54" riding mower, which comes in either Kohler Pro Courage for $2100 or B&S Platinum for $2000 - both are 26HP. Apparently, both engines are made in China now. From reading this thread, Kohler has been recommended more, but it seems most people are still citing older engines that were probably made in USA. Does anyone have info about the two newer Chinese engines yet?
brad hi to all readers about briggs engines they a crap what you pay for is what you get vangard is the only commercial engine so is honda kohler command pro and kawasaki stay away from briggs they cant handle the heavy work no matter how you treat the engine kohlers no problems kawasaki no problems and honda no problems!!!!!
eddie after reading this post the one thing that seems to be clear is that all motors mentioned here in a Positive light were not made in china.
Kohler command was made in the US, all older briggs motors made in US, briggs Vanguard made by Daihatsu under licence in Japan.
Whereas now, all new Briggs and Kohler motors are made in china, where all ideas of quality control or pride in worksmanship is out the window.
i think some new Kawasaki v twin motors are still assembled in USA, at least the 18hp one im looking at now is,
here in Australia. they seem to be the go for a US made engine.
Any mower salesman will tell you these are quality engines, but they arent stocked in any numbers because the general public wont pay more for something they cant see.
my old man has a ride on with a15+ year old I/C Quiet Briggs engine, Made In USA stamped on top. it was neglected, oil changed for the first time recently, air filter not regularly cleaned.
still purrs like a kitten

eddie after reading this post the one thing that seems to be clear is that all motors mentioned here in a Positive light were not made in china.
Kohler command was made in the US, all older briggs motors made in US, briggs Vanguard made by Daihatsu under licence in Japan.
Whereas now, all new Briggs and Kohler motors are made in china, where all ideas of quality control or pride in worksmanship is out the window.
i think some new Kawasaki v twin motors are still assembled in USA, at least the 18hp one im looking at now is,
here in Australia. they seem to be the go for a US made engine.
Any mower salesman will tell you these are quality engines, but they arent stocked in any numbers because the general public wont pay more for something they cant see.
my old man has a ride on with a15+ year old I/C Quiet Briggs engine, Made In USA stamped on top. it was neglected, oil changed for the first time recently, air filter not regularly cleaned.
still purrs like a kitten

Jack My Briggs engine is a sad piece of equipment. It has an induction system which sucks crankcase vapors into the carburetor. It also sucks a quantity of oil with it, smoking up the yard with vast bursts of white smoke that obscures the yard and requires refilling after 15 min. of operation. This, with 180 hours on the meter. This engine is poorly designed and I'm looking for a Kohler replacement or another tractor. I viewed 40 pages of complaints on the internet and in every case, John Deere wouldn't fix the problems. No more John Deere or Briggs products for me.
Dustin Over the past year i have worked on tons of both. kohler courage engine seem to really give the most internal engine problems. I have yet to have any internal problems from a kohler command engine though. Kohler seemed to really have valve train issues, stuck valve equals bent pushrods. Both engines have thrown rods or had cam problems. proper maintnence helps a bunch but a fauly part is a part. No matter how much you change the oil, if somethings going to break, its going to, and Jack kohler has the same pcv tube from the valve cover to the carb base. oh on some kohler courage engines, there was a recall for a breather plate to be installed in the oil sump, without this plate, oil was sucked into the cylinder cause the unit to constantly blow white smoke.

Greg I just bought a new YT3000 with 24 HP Briggs engine from SEARS (red tractor they say made by Husqvarna)... now after reading the comments from all of you I wonder if I should bring the tractor back to SEARS and return it. Honestly, I did not expect such a bad customer feedback... Please, advise me. Regards, Greg
Dave My old Mtd craftsman With a 11hp Briggs I/C sits out all season long in Maine for 9 years. After the snow melts i go out there with a battery, hook it up and its starts right up every time after all the cold weather, beatins and mudding I do with it in the summer and never changed the oil. That Mtd with the 7speed is the toughest lawn tractor I ever seen, their is nothing wrong with the transmission or anything else and i pull logs,used it to cut grass for years when it still had a deck and raced it and beat everybody elses tractors.
mikel tully i have a craftman pgt 9000 26 hp kohler run good i run it every day of the year ,winter too with snow blower nothing beat that power, but i do oil change every 50hours ... smoke a lot on declination ground.
Glenn Best advise I read and I am going to buy a kohler engine soon, Thanks, Glenn RE: When you bought your mower the sales guy really should have done a basic inspection of the mower before it left the door. As a service shop for briggs and kohler we see this a lot from big box stores. If they had taken the time to tell you what you needed to know you would have noticed the problem in the first 5 hours since that is when the first oil change is due (it flushes any metal particles from sump from manufacture). Most respectable dealerships will give you the first oil change for free.

Jimmy Buy something with a Honda engine and be done with it.
josh kohler put 1400 hour on a 2001 dlt2000 craftsman lawn tractor and dont use a drop of oil changed oil every 100 hours
Mark I have or had a 2008 Kohler 21hp engine in lawn tractor and it tossed the right cylinder rod as stated earlier.
CLLTR Co. I bought a Cub Cadet LTX1050VT Dec. of 2009, it has the Briggs 24HP Professional grade engine, with ELS and XRD, Mod. 44M777 Type: 0720-B1. I use my tractor commercially, it currently has 120 Hours on it, and I've never had a problem with it. I maintain my equipment very well, I changed my oil at the 5 hour interval, and the oil/filter every 50 hours thereafter.

After every so many mows, or if it was a really dusty mow I clean the air filter, and every season I replace the fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter and the blades. I own 4 tractors, the other 3 are Craftsman, my first tractor (that I still have) is a 1990 Craftsman II 38" cut, it's engine has been replaced twice, the first one was a Tecumseh 12HP OHV, the second one was similar.

After dumping tons of money into that second Tecumseh, it finally threw a rod through the side of the engine and blew off the starter motor. I got rid of that engine and got a hold of a 1996 Briggs Vanguard 16HP short block V-Twin, Mod. 303777 Type: 1145-A1. I call that tractor "old faithful" because it just keeps on going. I've mowed 1-2 Ft. high grass many times with no problems. I've had a better experience with Briggs & Stratton than with Kohler, I just don't like them, I have a mid 90's Craftsman with a Kohler and all it does is smoke.

But with any engine if you don't maintain it properly it won't last long. I had a 2006 Craftsman YT 3000 20HP single cylinder Briggs come into the shop awhile back for some maintenance, after a little while it started to smoke. So I checked the air filter, it was probably the most filthy air filter I have ever seen.

There was caked on dirt on the inside walls of the intake going into the carburetor, that told me right then and there that's what caused it to start smoking. I asked the owner when was the last time he cleaned or replaced it, you know what he said, NEVER. He has Bermuda, very dusty when he's mowing.

I told him it was going to need new piston rings and main bearings. He had the nerve to blame me for it's problem (just because it started smoking after I got it), which was his fault for never performing maintenance on it. He took it to another shop and they told him the same thing, it finally died and couldn't be started anymore, what a waste of a good engine. To this day it still sits in his shed with the bad engine...

Jim I've gone through 3 Briggs and stratton 26 Hp commercial grade motors on one machine in 600 hours. Thats one every 300 hours and these are still under the so called Briggs and stratton factory warranty that they will not honor. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MACHINE WITH A BRIGGS AND STRATTON EVER AGAIN! THESE MOTORS ARE COMPLETE JUNK!! I've run Kawasaki and Kohler motors for 1000's of hours with no problems at all.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: