John Deere Lawn Tractors

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere Lawn Tractors

Mo Brooks I have been told that the John Deere Lawn Tractors that are sold by Home Depot are not actually made by John Deere. Is this true? If so, are the Home Depot tractors as good as the real John Deere units? The one I'm considering buying is the L120 at Home Depot.
Ron JD lawn tractors, all of them, are made by JD. The low-end models, like the L120, are junk. You'll get much more tractor for your money at Sears.
bontai Joe Ron is correct in that ALL John Deere tractors are indeed made by Deere. The ones you see at Home Depot are built in Tennessee in the same factory that used to build the Deere Sabre line and the Scotts by Deere line before that, and all the rest are built in Horicon, Iowa. I don't quite agree that the "L" series is junk, but they are Deere's entry level tractors designed to be priced to compete with other machines sold at other "box" stores. I personally am 6'-3" tall and over 300 pounds, and dont care for the $900-2000 machines from most manufacturers, as they feel really small to me. But A fella that's 5'-9 and 150 pounds with a 3/4 acre lawn and no need for major snow removal or tilling a huge garden will be served very well with the Deere "L" series, Cub 1000 series, or a MTD or a Murray. Some folks buy a Deere "L" series lawn tractor expecting to get the same strength and durability that Deere built their reputation with in the 1960's through the early 1990's with tractors like the 140 with triple hydraulics, the legendary 318, the durable utilitarian 200 series tractors and are gonna be disapointed in their machine. It's not up to the "old" standards. If I was shopping for a under $2000 machine today, I'd also probably be looking at Sears or the Husqvarna clones. The only Deere tractor I have a rea problem with is the G110 and it's predecessor the G100, which I feel are very much over priced for what they are. Deere actually lowered the price on the G110 from the G100, and it is still too expensive in my opinion, over $3500. Especially since it shares some attachments with the "L" series, something I don't understand an alleged garden tractor should be doing with the entry level lawn tractor. Anyhow that is my 2 cents on the Deeres at HD.
Mo Brooks Bontai Joe....Thank you for the knowlegable report. I'm not looking to till a field or plow snow or skid logs. I simply want to mow about three acres and occasoinally pull a seed thrower or fertilizer. I do have a Craftsman (Husky Clone) and the steering mechanism on these machines are junk. Everything else works OK but the steering design is really bad. I do know that I will never pay $3000 and up for a lawn tractor. If the L120 has the Deere quality built into it, then it should be fine for me. Thanks again for your report.
paul reznicek Mo, if your mowing three acres, you'd probably be better off with a garden tractor over a lawn tractor, and you'll get a better deal on a GT at Sears. These guys are right. You can go to Home Depot and walk out with one of the JD's, or you can go to Sears and leave with a Craftsman of equal or better quality, plus some accssories, maintainance items or other lawn equipment with the money you saved.
george I agree with Paul. 3 Acres is no
job for the HD Deere. Go with the
biggest sears GT for the money and
you may have a chance of using it
for many years. I see 20+ year old
craftsmans all over. and new looking
deeres (HD) in repair junk yards.
I do know steering is an issue in
older lawn tractors, but new machines
have improved. Keep them greased.

bontai Joe I wouldn'd recommend a Deere L120 for a 3 acre lawn. You will be replacing it in a very few years. It's designed for the 3/4 to 1 acre suburban flat lot. With a $3000 max budget, you can get the Craftsman GT5000 or DGT6000, or Cub Cadet GT1554, or a Husqvarna GT, all for around $2000-2500 +/-. Deere's site recomends a garden tractor for lawns of 3 acres, so you are looking at a lot more money for a Deere GT than the above suggestions.
Shawman I have an L120, my neighbor across the street has one, and next door has an L110.
We all have 1 acre lots and we all love them. I was the only one of the bunch that actually bought from Home Depot. The others bought from the JD dealer who delivered them to their houses. They are not "junk" as someone said earlier by any means. Mine is the oldest and is pushing 200 hours. I mow with and without the mulcher(which is standard) and also pull a dethatcher and a lawn sweeper occasionally. I also pull a 5x10 atv trailer with it full of kids on hay rides on halloween every year and it does great.

If you want an L120 I think you should get it. If you want an MTD(aka craftsman,husqavarna,troybuilt,etc.), get one of those.

Bottom line is its your money get what you want and keep it maintained well and you should have years of good service out of any of them.

Ron You paid for nothing more than green paint... let us know if the thing still runs after 1500 hours. The "L" models were designed to compete against Wal-Mart, who was, and still is, killing JD. They are bottom of the barrel at best.

Further, any honest JD dealer will flat out tell you that that model is NOT suitable for a 3 acre lawn.

By the way, Craftsman mowers are NOT made by MTD. And with a Craftsman you get a far better product for less money... which is way Craftsman sells more lawn tractors that all its competitors combined!

Ron You paid for nothing more than green paint... let us know if the thing still runs after 1500 hours. The "L" models were designed to compete against Wal-Mart, who was, and still is, killing JD. They are bottom of the barrel at best.

Further, any honest JD dealer will flat out tell you that that model is NOT suitable for a 3 acre lawn.

By the way, Craftsman mowers are NOT made by MTD. And with a Craftsman you get a far better product for less money... which is why Craftsman sells more lawn tractors that all its competitors combined!

Greg I have owned the Craftsman (Husky) lawn tractor (paid $2100 with hydrostatic trans) and I currently own a John Deere LX279 lawn tractor which cost more than twice the Craftsman. I mow 2 acres of field grass and lawn. I have read all of the responses and I have to agree - for the money you are willing to spend - go with Craftsman or Husquvarna GARDEN tractor! Don't get me wrong, I am completely happy with my JD (I expect to get many years use out of the water cooled Kawasaki engine), but often find myself wanting the heavier transmission that the garden tractors have. You can get a pretty darn good GT for the same $$$ as the L series. Don't pay that extra $$ for that green paint unless you go with a "real" JD - (I know.... the L's are made by Deere, but there is NO comparison to the "real" LT or LX JDs)
James I know Im going by extreme example here, but these Home Depot JDs are pretty sad for what they are getting for some of them. They are ever dropping the price. I believe you can find HD pushing the L100s out as low as $1300. though considering the machine's equal can be found for $700 it's still overpriced. Thats still a premium to pay for the green paint. the G110s they are selling for $3700 seem insanely overpriced. I just got a Cub Z-Force 44 for $3400 and it's money much better spent. the X force actually takes on a good variety of terrain and still cuts effectively. I bought it because my JD X595 has a huge deck and is not good in smaller spaces where the 44.
Shawman In response to Ron's comment about Craftsman selling more lawn tractors "that" all its competitors combined, I am not degrading craftsman as he is JD, I said for him to buy what he wants because it was his money. I suppose the greater number of sales of Craftsman tractors is the reason statistically the majority of posts on this board requesting help with problems are with Craftsman, not JD.

Both the attachments I listed that I use are craftsman, so I have nothing against the brand. But there is no need to beat those of us up who have bought the L series tractors, especially since most if not all of us really like them.

Mo Brooks First, let me thank all of you for your response. My lawn covers aprroximately 80,000 square feet with lots of obsticles such as trees and planters. A garden tractor is not desireable because of the larger turning radius of these units. My craftsman has served me well. The hydro and the Briggs & Stratton just keep on running. Keeping the tractor traveling in a straight line is another story. The steering gear is made of plastic (of some sort) and no amount of lubrication will solve the problem. Actually, you can't even get to it unless you do a lot of disassembly. I know because I have replaced these components twice. For that reason alone I would never buy another Craftsman or Husky. Unless they have done a complete redesign of the steering gears, and can prove it, they aren't the tractor for me at any cost. I'm not sure why so many of you are down on the Deere 100 series. Not all of us can afford major buck investment just to mow the yard. Anyway, thanks again for the responses.......Mo
Ron 80K sq. ft. is less than 2 acres, not the 3 you claimed.

Obviously you have never driven or even looked at the late model Craftsman garden tractors. They have a very small turning radius for one thing, about the same as their lawn tractors; the tires are the difference. Another is that the Owner's Manual clearly shows the new greaseable steering gear and specifies the location of the easy to get to grease fittings. Any Sears store will allow you to inspect an Owner's Manual before purchase. Pretty sure you can download them for free on the 'Net.

The reason why eveyone is down on the JD L100 series is because they are overpiced light-duty junk.

"Major buck investment"? A $2,100 Craftsman garden tractor will outlast 2 JD L100s, at least. Do the math and then you will will learn about "penny wise, pound foolish".

Nobody has to prove anything to you. Buy your green poser-mower and impress yourself. Me, I work hard for my money, so I buy the best value... that's a Craftsman.

Greg Dude - you are a pompous a__, thinks he knows it all, jerk. Get a life.
Dave Bottom line: you get what you pay for. Small yard, get a cheap mower. Big yard, get off your wallet and pony up for one that will do the job. Deere has to offer low end riders to compete with the box stores. Personally, I have a big place, and an almost 20 year old JD 316. Do I have problems with it? Sure. Mower deck bearings wear out just like they will on a low end machine. It steers like a truck. Wish I had bought a 318 with power steering. As for plastic steering parts, This $5000.(in 1989)JD has plastic bushings in the steering column. I discovered this while trying to figure out why my steering wheel was getting sloppy. A little machine work and 2 ball bearings solved that problem.
Aren't forums great? If you can wade through all the BS you may even get a decent answer to your questions.

bontai Joe I'm not especially doen on the Deere "L" series, I just couldn't recommend one for what you had said was a 3 acre lawn. It's the wrong machine for that kind of job. I wouldn't recommend a 2 pound hammer to pound finish nails with either, it's the wrong tool for the job, nothing wrong with owning a 2 pound hammer, just that it's meant for other kinds of work. Now that I know that your lawn is just under 2 acres, with extensive landscaping and lots of obstacles, and I'm guessing that a 42" or 48" mower deck will be better than a 54" or larger for less scapling, more manuverability, and getting between things that the bigger deck won't, I'd like to change my recommendations in no particular order:
1. Cub Cadet residential Zero turn radius mower model #RZT42 with 42" deck (list $2599)
2. White Garden tractor Model GT 950H with 50" deck (list $2899)
3. Cub Cadet Model LT2042 tractor w/ 42" deck (list $2699)
4. Ariens Zoom model #1540 zero turn mower w/ 40" deck (list $3099)
5. Simplicity Broadmoor is a really nice tractor with a 18" turning radius, but over your $3000 max by a fair amount.
6. Husqvarna YTH2042 ( a slightly upgraded Craftsman DYT4000)
7. Deere LT160 with 42" freedom deck (list $2779)
Your local dealer should be willing to sell any of these models below list price with a little haggling.

Nick The John Deer L series at Home Depot are actually a Murray with the JD paint. John Deer purchased Murray. If you have to buy a John Deer make sure it is the LT series.
Nick You are riding a Murray with the JD paint.
Kyle Field To those that say the JD L series are junk, what are you basis this off of? And no, the one's at Home Depot are NOT Murrays. They're made on the same line in Tennesse as all the other JDs. If you go to the John Deere website, you can do a comparison to theirs to other garden tractors and export it to Excel via their site. It's very handy.

Seems there's too much bias on this board. Do the comparison on the JD website and then shop around for what you feel is best. Personally, I got my L120 at the dealer for less than Home Depot is asking and I won't be put at the back of the line if I need service (like they do to those that buy at Home Depot). My L120 runs and cuts great - no complains.

James First the L series is the entry level John Deere made by John Deere and in the price range it is in it really is not a bad machine just you pay alittle more for it. I work for my uncle at his tractor dealership (hoping to take it over one day) and we fix more Sears (Elextorlux which should be under warranty but good luck getting Sears to service it in a timely manner). Third, Cub Cadets do have alot of problems also but when you pay under $2k for a mower you get what you pay for. The biggest problem with Sears, Cub Cadets, Yardman, Roybi,and Troy built is getting parts especially after being two years old. The L series is really easy to work on and I can call the John Deere dealer and gets parts which I can get them in and out of the shop quicker. Making it in the service business is about time and not sitting on tractors and most shops know this. Right now I have Craftsman that are under warranty which the people got fed up with Sears service which are in the shop. We are in the same boat as the Sears tech is that we cannot get parts or they are back ordered and it will take us a month to get the parts. When you pay under $2k for a mower you get what you pay for, but we have actually seen alot more year old craftsman, Roybi, Yardman (good luck on parts), cub cadets, troy builts, and MTD with alot more problems than out of warranty John Deere L series or Scotts by JD. John Deere does have the advantage in my area of having so many dealers that they can get the L series out quicker than craftsman also. I have customer mad due they are sittig on broken Sears lawn tractors for more than a month waiting or parts or techs to get back with them. Be honest I sell Toro and would love to be able to sell John Deere's due to they are simple to work on and parts support.
Scott I am in the same boat as a previous person who posted. My yardman all wheel steer finally gave out. Actually, the transmission did. I feel I worked it very hard the last 21/2 years putting in about 60,000 sq ft. of new lawn. It is hilly and abit rough yet as would be the case with a new lawn. I recently bought a 22hp g-series Huskquavarna from lowes but returned it after one mow. The reason was the turning radius..a wopping 30in. Price was great and ext. warrenty was well worth it. My question is will I be better off getting a tractor with the larger tires for the rougher surface? and are the transmissions in the garden tractors that much stronger? I also have in mind a L120 or 130 tractor??? Thanks guys
REd If you have obsticles you don't want the Freedom deck on the LT160. I have a LT180 and love the tractor. If you hit something with the freedom deck you are out about $150 in parts (timing belt, blades, etc). Go for the 42C or 48C Deck.

LT180 is agreat tractor

eric Can anyone help with a steering assembly issue? My Craftsman 917.270760 has a strange setup which has come apart. At the left front wheel the bar coming from the steering wheel area attaches by way of a small ball and socket scenario with a rubber gasket. Seems very flimsy. I can get the two pieces back together but as soon as the wheel is turned with the slightest pressure, it pops out and the thing is again inooperable. Thanks
Jo Anne Hi Everyone I am from Ontario, Canada and I have a problem. I have a John Deere 110 1964. It is in really good condition and runs great, but I was wanting to sell it but I don't know how much it is worth or how to go about selling it..so if there are any collecters in here reading this I would like your input on what to do!

Tim All I have to say is that I have owned a JD G100 for 3 years and purchased it from HD. I mow 4 hilly acres weekly and use it during the winter without the 54" mowing deck to pull very heavy loads of mulch and firewood. The rear tires are loaded and it will go anywhere I ask it to. It actually out performs the 4WD units I have owned. With over 500 hours the only maintenance has been changing oil and filter and greasing it. Oh, I did have to glue the cup holder back on about 2 years ago. The other area that everyone is missing is the quality of the mower deck and ease of removing if needed. The deck never clogs or builds up grass(edge system) and can be removed for blade sharpening in about 10 mins. Installs just as easy. I came across this feedback site while I was shopping for another G100 to purchase. I want to buy another one as a second unit for my son so we can finish mowing faster. I will say that I considered the G110 which replaced the G100 but for a second mower I think I will go used.
Roland Ochoa I find the general inforamtion on the JD LT Series very informative. I wasted my monies on what I thought was a Quality Machine, However, I did this without any research and went with name only John Deere. I use my LT 180 to cut an estimated 1 and a half acres worth of grass. The machine has preformed, average on the cut. However, on the performance end I have had to accomplish some HEAVY duty repair. I purchased an extended warranty and that has made ALL the difference. Bought LT 180, Aug 2003 once a year, I've had to have the valves completely REDONE due to WHAT, I've been told, would be contaminated Fuel, for the THIRD time as I provide this input my machine is back in the shop. Even tho I use the same fuel in my Two Quads and all my vehicles that I drive, would I do this again, I DON'T THINK SO!
I appreciate the input on this Product. John Deere should step UP and stay in the Market place and try to keep CUSTOMERS such as myself. Question I have, has any body else had this same problem. I would like some input

dwtjax I've owned a Wheel Horse 1848, Case 222, Jacobsen Super Chief, JD LT133 and now a JD L155c. The JD L series is very nice, just as heavy as the JD LT series and is a great value for the money. It is also by and far the easiest to use, best and fastest mower of all the units I've ever had. My sole complaint is the fuel fill being under the seat. That and the fact that 25 HP slurps fuel verses the lower powered Kohler single cycls. But, that's the price you pay for having a beast under the hood. That beast by the way will cut 8 inches of St. Augustine grass in a single pass and never flinch. So, it is what it is.

It is all in how you care for things. Just like those who say Bayliner boats are bad, they are made by Sea Ray! It's all in how you maintain your items.

Having owned boats, tractors, snowmobiles, jet skis and many cars and trucks I personally know the cheapest made item well maintained will far outlast the best engineered goods poorly serviced or abused.

You will have very little trouble with a JD L series. Most of the trouble you have, you will cause yourself.

The chief thing you see on the LT, LX or L series will be mower deck problems. They all use the same guage steel, spindles, blades and pullys. Jsut care for it regularly and you'll be very happy with your purchase.

Nothing wrong with a Craftsman or other mowers either. Just take proper care of them.

Dennis I'm not sure where everyone buys their JD equipment at, but I just bought a JD X300 tractor for $2400 bucks and that includes a Kawasaki motor and its designed for up to 3.5 acres. Incredible lawn tractor that is also very capable of moving snow in the winter time (I also bought weights and blade for it). I'd definitely take this over a Craftsman any day of the week.
Bob Heron I bought a John Deere Series 100 Lawn Turf Tractor Mo.# 012 , 17 HP 42" and 2-Bag Bagger new from Lowels on July 6 2006.
This machine has not been able to mow my lawn once without plugging up the bagger pipe at the mower discharge to pipe connector with-in a 40'linial foot run .
Called factory no help ....
Machine is worthless junk !

Demanding refund from dealer .

Bob Heron I bought a John Deere Series 100 Lawn Turf Tractor Mo.# 102 , 17 HP 42" and 2-Bag Bagger new from Lowels on July 6 2006.
This machine has not been able to mow my lawn once without plugging up the bagger pipe at the mower discharge to pipe connector with-in a 40'linial foot run .
Called factory no help ....
Machine is worthless junk !

Demanding refund from dealer .

Jeremy This seems like a good group to whom I can pose a "which mower" question. Here are the final four contenders I'm considering:

- 2000 Model John Deere LT133, 13HP, 38" cut (used) for $1,200 (no hour meter but I know it was used on a residential lawn for three seasons and sat for three - looks new)

- New Toro 42", 18hp Kohler $1,049 LX-420, model 13AX60RG744 sku 551-958 (Home Depot)

- New Craftsman 20hp 42 in. $1,199 model #27681 (Sears)

- New John Deere 17HP OHV 42" Lawn Tractor 102, $1,399 Item #: 227418 Model: BG20311 (Lowes)

My yard is small (1/2 acre) but very steep and my budget is such that I can't go over the $1400 range. Suggestions? Thanks.

steve I like your guys column. hopefully u can give me some infomation & advice. I have a scotts lawn tractor that I bought 2 yrs ago from a private party. This unit has worked pretty good untill recently it has really started smoking bad. It is white smoke at all rpms. I am very good about complete maintance, especially oil changes. Here is some info that might help, Scotts 2554 Id#M025545022742, Kohler 2cyl, 725cc, 25hp, modle CV255, Serial # 292651350-1 It also has the hydrostatic trans. I understand this is a John Deere, but is this the junky ones at the Home Depot Or is this actually a pretty good modle worth fixing the problem.
Steve EDwards I have a LT 133 John Deere and have had a ton of problems with it. Right now my problem is the tractor runs and pulls fine in 1st and 2nd gear. But when you go to 3-4-5 it won't pull up my driveway. I put a new drive belt on it , but that did not help.

Any suggestions?

+Larry Futrell I had a pull problem in Feb. 06 with all gears. The invoice shows replacing a traction drive belt. It lasted almost the summer. I just got off the phjone telling the dealer it will not pull again. I know the belt did not wear out in one summer. They are picking it up tomorrow and check it.
Shari I really liked reading all these comments as we are in the market for a new mower. We are looking at the John Deere LA110 and the Toro LX420. We only have about 2/3 acre, fairly flat lawn. A big thing to us us a good mulcher. We tried a Cub Cadet from Home Depot but it had some problems with the belt slipping and didn't seem to mulch well at all. Just be careful about the Craftsman. We bought one last fall but the gas line failed while setting in the garage, not being used at the time. It ruined a lot of personal property. They had a recall on it and we were able to return the tractor but are having a hard time with Sears about the damage we suffered. Thanks to all for making this a good resource.
ALLEGRO I have owned (in order) an 18hp Craftsman 38" two-blade and completely wore it our in only 6 summers in MEM. Next I bought a 20hp Yard Man with a 46" three-blade deck. Repaired the steering and front axil twice in 5 years. Cut was OK but uneven at the highest level.

I bought in 06 a John Deere L155C, 25hp, 48" triple blade deck. I cut three times a week on a one-acre lot with thick bermuda. This mower works very well and compared to the other two I believe it to be capable of lasting a long time. Consumer Reports rated this highly. All in all for $2700 it seems worthy of the price. I searched long and hard before my purchase and the JD seemed to fit my needs best.

I do agree however that even this larger mower would not be BEST suited for a 3 acre job.

Scott I need some help. I bought a used John Deere LT160 about two months ago. I love this mower. The motor purrs like a kitten and it cuts great with itís Freedom 42Ē deck. Here is the problem. It will not go up a hill of any size. It did very well when I first got it but I pulled a tank type aerator a few weeks ago and since then Iíve had this problem. I replaced the pulleys and the drive belt and that didnít help. Itís fine on level areas but inclines are not good. I donít know if there is any adjustment that can be made or if I need a new transmission. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mark I have an L100, stored on a shed (new last summer), bought i9t at Home Depot. I had a flat tire and picked up the back and placed it on a cement box. It sat like that over the winter and I had the wheel fixed. It started right up, but it will not engage the gears, the blades work with out problems and if put in to resverse it does shut off, so I believe it is in gear. I cannot tell if the belt is tight enough. How do we tighten this and does anyone think that this is the problem? Thanks M
buck willy git r done

dave a john deere is the best all ways will be and always was sears tractors are junk not that i dont like sears but there tractors are really junk if you bleed green and yellow u know john deere makes one of the best tractors around for ur cash
Rich JD is great, many older models have withstood the test of time, but I think that if I was in the market for a decent mower I would be looking at a mid '90s 300 series. you can generally find one with lower hours on it in almost all areas, and generally they are about the same price as the new "disposable" models, I currenly have a Kubota G1800 diesel (which was my dad's before he downsized to a smaller lot. it has run for 18 years and with minimal maintenance it still works just as it did new. This is the last mower I will ever buy.
Duane I have owned a Craftsman tractor, a Cub Cadet tractor, and a Murray a long time ago. All of them had tons of problems and I was not sorry to see them go.

I know own a G100 JD and I have never had it in the shop once for any reason except routine yearly maintenance.

I HATED sears service and the Cub Cadet guy never had parts.

My JD dealer picks up my mower at my house every spring and gives it s going over. JD dealers are THE VERY BEST and that is why I live my JD.

Ken Admire I want the JD G-100's I'm reading about on this forum. I bought my G-100 in 2003 from Home Depot and have had nothing but trouble with it. The engine was replaced after 50hrs operation (warranty work) and at 150hr. appx. it blew a head gasket on the right side (from driver seat). Replaced gasket and worked fine for about 3 hours. Now it is missing continually no power. Piece of junk.
Chuck I've got a 2 yr. old G110 and it is the biggest purchase mistake I've ever made. 75 hours on it and it has already gone through 2 idler pulleys and now two months after the warranty has expired the engine is burning oil like a sieve. The engine has always seemed to be under duress when the mower is engaged but the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. So I'm out $3700.00 and I'm stuck with a mower I hate. Mow I'm back to using my 8 yr. old Murray that cost me 1/3 of what the JD did. I'll never buy another one.
David I purchased a JD G110 Garden Tractor in 2006 and mow 3 acres. The axle broke first and now the 54" deck broke and the pulley covers have broke twice and the deck front bracket broke. They don't make JD"s like they used to. The hood is made of plastic and the air vent that hooks to the hood broke. And the service from John Deere sucks. There is always a 2 or 3 week waiting time to get your tractor repaired with no loaners. I bought my tractor from a local dealer but I have to wait 2 or 3 weeks because the dealer tells me first come first serve and most of those tractors the dealer is repairing are from Lowe's or Home Depot. Before you buy a JD ask about their repair service policy. Never again for me their service is the worst I have ever seen.
bigd351117 have a jd 102 and have loved it. hit a root the other day and the idler pully broke out. went to a jd dealership to get a replacement spindle. they told me the spindle is spot welded to the deck bracket and cannot be replaced. guess i will either have to buy the complete deck assembly or just use my tractor to pull my small utility trailer around..any thoughts would be welcome...help

Raymond McDannell I missed placed my manual for my LT160. I need to put on the deck belt and can't seem to figure it out with out the manual. Any help would be appreciated.
sammy Fella's,
Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Craftsman, MTD, JD, its all the same in there perspective classes. Most all cases of proper function and proformance lies with the right maintenance and upkeep of your equipment. I have a ten year old JD L100 and it has just had its first problem in ten years of heelish cutting in the weeds of S.C. I do clean it after I use it, change the oil, and don't try to cut trees with it. come boy's get real.

TBuck Mo, I have an L110 (from a local dealer). I have the 42" snowblower, rear bagger, and bunch of other attachments. It's got about 150hrs on it, and no problems thus far. I use it all year (snow in the winter, grass in the summer), however I do have a small yard (can mow it in less than 10 minutes). I bought because it is the right size for my yard, fits through all my fence gates, and others that have them report not having any problems [so far]. It came with a 17.5 hp Kohler engine (I think they are all "John Deere built Briggs & Stratton", now). I have certainly got my money's worth out of it and the attachments ...especially the snowblower (which I have only had for 2 seasons, in central Iowa)...I do my 80 foot driveway, and 2 others (sidewalks, etc) (older folks in our neighborhood) and it plows through very well. I have spent a number of days watching my neighbors attempting to use shovels and walk-behind blowers to get through 2 and 3 foot drifts before coming over and asking for help.

I certainly would agree that they are not on par with "John Deere's" upper lines of mowers/tractors (as mentioned numerous times here), however I appreciate the dealer service and parts department, advice, etc that I have access to because it "is" a John Deere from my dealer...also nice that I can go to Home Depot (et al) to get accessories, blades, oil, etc, etc, if necessary.

Adam I have a JD LT160 and am considering either a snow blade or blower attachment. I'm sure that I would prefer the blower but depending on the $$$ I might settle on the blade. I haven't checked with the dealer yet but are there any good places to look for used, I check ebay occasionally and don't usually see anything matching my model, or that I wouldn't have to drive to Michigan to pick up.
Chriss I have a l130 that I have owned for 2 years now it has 60 hours on it and the hydrostatic transmission is shot. I called the JD dealer and he informed me it will be 535 for a new transmission and that it will most likely only last for two to three years also. Just to put it into perspective I mow 2.5 acres of very hilly property and tow firewood in a 10cu ft trailer. I expected more than 60 hours of use out of this thing now I am stuck with a 2400 dollar paperweight.
Lou I bought a JD LA110 in May; got a great discount due to a sale and vet discount. It works great, however the 3rd time I used it, it quit. As it was in warranty brand new, the local dealer took it and found the problem to be water in the gas tank. He said he had a lot of the JD's with the same problem. As I cover the mower with a JD cover, there should be no way water gets in the tank. I sent JD an email and was told there should be no way water can get in the tank, especially if covered. Researching the JD website I found if one doesn't either keep the tank full, or empties it, condensation builds up, therefore water! Anyone else has experienced this? Thanks.
gene leone i bought a g100 from home depot- just under $5,000 total a 4 years ago. i mow 3.5 acres. transmission chattered intermittantly since new, head gasket blew at 260 hours (total $500. repair), idler was replaced, cup holder fell off, and it has backfired when shut- down since it was new. finally, at 340 hours the transmission is gone- the bad news another $1,700- $1,800 for the repair. every time i go to the local jd dealer they make me feel as if i've got a fake rolex watch worth nothing. i'm calling the manufacturer or the consumer protection agency- i've been ripped! ps if you know where i can get a transmission contact me eugenealeone@aol.com.
ffcraftergeek the worse thing this country ever did was give every body a voice and a choice. go to this site someone likes b spears someone dose not. go to this site someone likes g bush someone dose not. you come here and someone likes jd and someone dose not. who the blank cares, people are asking questions of info not for your personal uninportant commants about what you like and dont like. just answer there questions and leave your 2 cents out. wake up world, your not all gods and we had enough,go to consumer report and get your answers guy cause here all you get is personal opinion and we all know every one has a story just like they have an rump. by the way jd was listed in consumer report as the company with the mowers with the best overall rating and least amout of repairs and the L110 was concidered a best buy.
John Parr I have a JD LX178 that I bought new back in 1998. I've been using a home maintenace kit annually but have yet to change the HYDROSTATIC TRANS FLUID. Looking for a complete step by step for the changing the hydro trans fluid. What oil do I use? How do I check levels? I there a filter, if so where? Thanks for your help. Please email me direct, rjp@techemail.com
Dan n well l have had my L120 for about 4 years with no problems the only thing l wished is that the reverse was stronger other than that its a great machine. l cut about 1 acre lot and pull a trailer fill with dirt or what ever with no problems
CRizzo I originally came to this site looking for information about my John Deere L120. My motivation was that I had heard folks talking about them being built by Murray, being cheaply made, being no good, and so on. The only problem is, most of them sounded like "urban legends" and were mostly gross generalities. I have had my tractor for over 4 years, I own 5 acres, mow two of it, cart mulch, gravel, bricks, etc... Over the whole terrain. I live in Western PA, so hilly terrain is all there is. I use the tractor as a snow blower and plow in the winter for about 200 feet of driveway and salt it with a tow behind spreader. I used the tractor to move 4x8 trailer loads of furniture, tow automobiles, and tow hayrides full of children and parents. After 4 years and 139 hours ... no problem. On level ground with no load, it does seem a little slower than it used to be. I think it might be the very early signs of a new transmission, but after what I have put it through, that $600 will be a bargain. I would be one of those folks who agree with what consumer reports are saying and it doesn't look like John Deere is going out of business anytime soon. So I am looking to upgrade up through the JD line. However, I must say I was a little disappointed at some of the experiences described here with blown out transmissions and broken axles. But frankly, if this list is a statistical sampling of complaints over how many of these smaller JD tractors have been sold, this is nothing. If you think the other tractors don't break, or have some bad service organizations, you're not seeing clearly. As for quality, it is clear to me what you are paying a premium for in the John Deere. Like someone else wrote here, I have never had a problem getting parts. The parts are not just spray painted. I have personally rebuilt every part of many different automobiles and feel qualified to say, John Deere is using quality parts and hardware. There is also a quality of style and usability. I live in the suburbs and have been able to compare to other tractors. Shape, appearance, layout of controls and dash are all superior on the JD. When I bought this tractor, I did a one to one comparison with other brands because it looked like there was such a price difference. What I found was that to match feature for feature, I had to go quite a bit up the size chart on many of the other lines and the price difference really narrowed. I think someone in the postings complained about the plastic hood and grill. I live in Pittsburgh and that sounds a little to me like the folks here who complain about the steel industry leaving. It's gone and so are the steel cars of the 50's. The new materials are lighter, rustproof, better in many ways, and really improve the weight to horsepower ratio. They don't make cars like they used to and I can give you about 1 million reasons why that is a good thing. The inherent quality of design is often hard to describe, I also drive a Jaguar for a number of reasons, but it doesn't get the groceries home any better than a Chevy. :-) I feel the same way about tractors. If anyone is interested in trading facts, figures, and specifications around the technical aspects of John Deere ownership, I'm up for it. As I said earlier, I'm looking to upgrade and just aren't sure about it as this tractor really meets my needs, but I could use a front loader for the 10-20 yards of mulch and other materials I go through in a year. I'll also keep an eye out to help John looking to change the fluid in his transmission on his LX178.
S Miller I pruchased a new LT 160 in Sep 05. Since new, The mowing deck leveling mechanism slowly unscrews to the point that the front of the deck is cutting about an inch shoreter than the rear of the deck - - - it take about 2 months for the difference to occur.

has anyone else experienced this problem?

angel cruz i,m looking for Scott's tractor 42 " rear bagger
dan from imperial I use a L120 on my 1.3 acre yard with no problems. I owned a Craftsmen that was about the same size. Before I got my JD, I had a Craftsmen that lasted me 13 years. I pull a dethatcher and a small garden trailer and find that both mowers performed well. Keep either of these machines well maintained and I bet they will last a long time.

Q For 2 years I have mowed nearly 2 acres of bumpy, hilly lot with a $1400 JD 102. Same price at the JD dealer than at Lowes. Its 17hp Briggs and Stratton has no trouble swinging 42" of blade through thick grass, pushing the snow off my driveway in winter, and pulling a small spreader and cart. I don't expect it to do the work of a tractor. There are better machines, including those offered by JD but at greater cost. My only compliant with the 102 is that if you lift one cheek off the seat with the blades engaged it the engine shuts off. I like the kill switch for safety but it is a bit sensitive. And at 6'5" I look like a frog on a lily pad, but I am cutting grass not cruising for the ladies and thats me on anything at this end of the offerings. Deere has a good reputation for dealer service after the sale and most, if not all, dealers service what they sell. I don't have a knock against Craftsman but the small Sears store in my area has no full time mech so they send their machines out to a local shop for service. I don't doubt they are professionally repaired but you couldn't blame a repair shop who also performed sales for making the customers who bought from them a priority. Perhaps the difference may be only a couple of days but depending on your schedule this may be inconvenient. Research is good and the opinion of owners beneficial but after you have narrowed down your choices just buy what you like. If everyone bought on pure practicality the market would have already evolved to the offering on one beige mower.
randy I've inherited a John Deere LT 133. I have a flat due to a bad valve stem. I'm not sure how to fix a valve stem...do I need to remove the wheel and take it to a tire repair shop? If so, how do I remove the wheel?

Thanks for your help and suggestions -

Randy

Mark Can anyone tell me how to replace the traction drive belt on a JD L110?

It loops around the steering shaft. I guess I have to pull that. But how?

And I've no idea how to thread the belt onto the pulleys because of the guide brackets that are there to keep the belt from jumping off. Is there some special trick to removing the pulleys? I've removed the nuts at the bottom, but they still won't budge.

As you've already guessed, I am not exactly mechanically inclined.

By the way, this machine has been nothing but trouble since I bought it at Home Depot four years ago.

joc Goodday Sales,
I'm here to place an order with you and below is the item i want to place with you

John Deere Fuel Filter #RE-60021 150pcs

I want you to get back to me with total costing of the order with shipping cost through UPS 2nd Day to the address below

309 HARRIS ROAD,
CALICO ROCK
ARKANSAS,72519

I want you to know that my mode of payment is through credit card,i will be looking forward to read from you as soon as possible.

Regards,
Joc.

Mike Not sure if this thread is still going but I wanted to add my 2 cents, which is about what the JD L120 is worth right now. I too made the mistake of not researching and like a deer in headlights ( no pun intended) purchased the L120 from HD. My lawn is 2+ acres and full of obstacles,(hills, trees,flowerbeds,split rail fence, pool, you name it - its there). I run the JD and a Gravely 816 which is about 30years old. There is no comparison. Gravely runs circles around the JD even at this age. The JD has had two deck belts, two deck spindle replacements ( see some idiot at JD thought it would be smart if the spindles were in cased with NO grease fitting...yea burned those up in 1 year) and this year ( only 3rd year of running) it has lost all horsepower - I could walk faster then this cuts...) Never again would I get a JD of this stature to cut my lawn - Gravely at 30 years is runs like a champ.......You get what you pay for....Only wish I would have paid for the right one the first time :)

John July 04 2008. I have a year old JD LA110 42"cut..I had a few problems with it since I bought it new. First my deck belt torn apart in 1st month,I bought a new belt.This year starting in May I bought a new deck belt that lasted less than 1 month,I bought another that ripped apart along with the steel belt guide which hangs down.The guide disappeared somewhere on my 2 acre lot. I also noticed the steering arm beside where the belt guide sits touchs when making a tight turn to left.I guess that finally loosened the deck guide. I finally brought the JD to the closest dealer 30 miles away..They tested it.Sure enough there is a fault with yje 2nd pulley inside left on deck..It is not high enough.Theu ordered a new part ( should be a recall item,but they didn't tell me that.)Then the dealer amitted there was a steering problem too..Shouldn't hit or rub on deck guide ( another item that should go ob a recall),, I also a had my invoices for the new deck belt guide and new belt.I put on before bringing it to dealer. I hope the put all this on warrenty as it is supposed to be covered 24 months...I will update what happens...John,Cornwall,Ontario
Don I am on my 2nd John Deere Tractor mower. I finally gave up on the 1972, 110 model dieing off and purchased a new GX335 Model 2 years ago, so now I have 2. The 110 still runs great and since it is 36 years old and I have had it since 1986, I decided it was part of the family and kept it to use as a backup(like I really thought I would need one) and to save time on the 10 acre lot when we have an extra interested driver and somewhere to go. It was only mowing about 3.5 acres until I moved here 3 years ago. I have only had to rebuild the 110 once due to overzealousacy's on what I should pull with it and overheating it. I think I replaced the mower clutch on it and a couple of deck bearings but other than that, no trouble. I have only had to replace one belt on the GX335 since I got it. I bought an extra full set of belts last year to have on hand but in looking at the belts during the last maintenance cycle this summer, don't think I will be needing them any time soon. As for John Deere's they are like any other mower. If they are maintained properly they will last you a long time. The thing I like most about John Deere is that after 36 years, I can still get parts for the old one. I have had a couple of other mowers in my time but the maintenance needed was far more than the Deere to keep them up so I have decided to stick with the Deere tractor mower series. For anyone mowing large acreage, I would recommend the Deere. Not to mention, that I mow my 10 acres in less than 4 hours with the new GX335 so I save time as well. Good luck!!!
Earll joc Goodday Sales,
I'm here to place an order with you and below is the item i want to place with you

Fleetguard fuel filter FS 19616...............50 pcs
Fleetguard fuel filter FS 19732...............50 pcs
Fleetguard fuel filter FS 19735..............50 pcs
Fleetguard fuel filter FS 1040...............50 pcs
Johndeere fuel filter RE 60021...............50pcs

I want you to get back to me with total costing of the order with shipping cost through UPS 2nd Day to the address below

309 HARRIS ROAD ,
CALICO ROCK
ARKANSAS ,72519

I want you to know that my mode of payment is through credit card,i will be looking forward to read from you as soon as possible.

Regards,
Joc.

nicholas T. I have a John Deere STX38 black deck. I have been using it to move 4 + acers for over 10 years. My parents had it for about five years befor giving it to me. It is a 38 inch deck with a hydrostatic transmission. The engine did blow a head gasget after my 8 year old son tried to run it on diesel fuel. It actually ran with alot of smoke. I had that fixed I am still using it. My son is 13 now.

There are a lot of good tractors out there but John Deere has the best parts , documention and availability of any equipment. If you are handy at all, - plan to keep your mower for a long time and are likly to do some repairs yourself buy John Deere.

Robert I work as a grounds keeper for a retail nursery. We have 38,000 squire feet of lawn that I cut using a John Deere LT160. It seems to do the job.
Pierre I bought a JD LA110 on july 2007 at Home Hardware and have 3/4 of acre to mow the lawn. No snow or anything else. The lawn mower belt just broke half an hour ago (august 2008). I can locate the problem: the belt tensioner pulley wore the belt due to the arm not strong enough. it is made of flat iron, another case of cutting on the quality. Too bad JD accepts to lose their name for a piece of flat iron...

Could somebody tell me if there is a recall on this problem?

Barron I have a John Deere 170 lawn tractor. Bought it back in 1989 and have never had a problem with it. But today the left front wheel became lose, wobbly. Want to try and fix it myself but don't know how to remove the wheel. Any help will be appreciated.
Jim Culler How complicated is it to clean fuel line and replace fuel filter. Tractor starts but then stalls as if no gas is getting to engine.
GLEN NEED A OPERATORS MANUAL FOR LT 150 JOHN DEERE
Pat Any mower that is sold by a big box store is junk. They are made with less spec so they can sell cheaper. You get what you pay for. Also not all mowers are made by the company that has the name on it. They ship out their cheaper model to other companies to make and then slap their name on it.

Richard My JD LT180 Auto sat all Winter and will not start. It was running when I drove it into the shed, but now - NOTHING. I replaced the ignition switch (which I messed-up), the wiring harness (which I burnt-up) and battery, but still nothing. I am currently unemployed and cannot afford to take it to the dealer. By the way, in case you haven't guessed, I know NOTHING about machinery especially JD LT180's. Any suggestions or help?
David Saddler Am hereby writing with subscription of your company for order of John Deere fuel filter part number : Re60021.
andrew It is plain and simpleyou buy what you need if you are mowing a residential lawn an L series Deere will serve you fine. it will move light snow fine. but don't try to mow commercialy with it. I have seen L series tractors with over 2000 hours use it for what it is meant for. Whoever said craftsman sells more than all the competitors combinedyou may want to check your math again there is no chance. I would not knock any brand. i am a Deere guy. It may cost more for that green paint but the average person doesn't keep it till it dies and good luck getting any decent percentage of your investment back out of the store brand mowers. it won't happen.
Lawn Jawn If you buy a piece of crap mower your going to have a piece of crap mower. How naive is it to think that 2 thousand dollars buys the same mower that a John Deere dealer has for 6,000? Face facts your looking only at horsepower and size of deck. I purchased a JD 185 many years ago that the dealer told me is a good mower. I had an hour meter put on it, serviced it REGULARLY, one belt for the hydrostat, one on the deck, and one belt to the deck, one idler pully, plugs, 5 batteries and 3,100 hours later it was still running when I traded it off. I won't own anything but a John Deere and I've looked at the rest. My advice to you guys wanting to be cheap when buying a mower is to realize that if you buy a good one the first time you won't have to buy another one. Step up to the pump and tell your John Deere dealer what you want and they will deliver. Stay out of Home Depot and Lowe's and buy a real John Deere. And to set the record straight on where there made. The Tennesee plant makes junk........Horicon, WI makes the good ones. If it doesn't say Horicon, WI on the searial # tag you just bought junk. I wish John Deere would have never worried about low end mowers because they got low end buyers with high end expectations. John Deere didn't make anything you could afford before so why do you think they started now. Takes 5,000 and more to buy a good John Deere, NOT 2,000!

Jim Since buying a house on four acres, I am now on my third lawn tractor. The first two were department store brands (one home depot and one sears). The third is a John Deere L120 bought at a John Deere dealer. When I bought my first (Weedeater brand bought at Home Depot in 1993), I only planned on mowing a small portion of my land and having someone come in and bushhog the rest as the previous owner had done. After paying someone to bush hog once, I changed my mind and began to mow all four acres. Needless to say I taxed my cheap riding mower considerably more than it was designed for. Late in the second year, I began having various problems. I do my own repairs and managed to keep that cheap lawn tractor running for a couple more years though it became quite a chore to keep it running. I had a similar experience with the second tractor bought from Sears. When I finally gave up on that one, I went to the John Deere dealer and looked at their lawn tractors. They had just come out with the L100 series and I decided to purchase the L120. I could tell on inspection that it was better made than the department store brands. It has lasted much longer than the department store brands. I am just now starting to need to do repairs and the repairs are much easier on it than they were on the department store brands. I would definitely recommend the L120 over Sears or any other department store brands. A couple of notes though. I do not know if the newer L120's are made as well as the original or not. It is possible that the quality has gone down since the inception of the line. I do not know if the Home Depot Deere's are identical to the one's bought at a Deere retailer. A brief inspection at Home Depot leads me to believe that the Deeres and Cub Cadets they sell are better made than the department store brands but I haven't looked carefully enough to be certain that it is a significant improvement. I have heard that Deere retailers are not happy about Home Depot selling Deeres and refuse to support Home Depot purchased Deeres. Bottom line, my experience, which may or may not be applicable in your case, has shown Deere to be a superior tractor. I paid $2,000 for mine. I do not think that there is a huge price difference between buying at Home Depot and buying at a Deere retailer so I recommend buying at the Deere store. Mo, you are an intelligent man and you can look closely at two tractors and tell if one is made better than the other. Besides, if you get ripped off, you can sue them (sorry, couldn't resist the lawyer joke). Good luck.
Buster Enough slamming the 102. Sure it is cheap but I cut 2 acres with one and have for 4 years. The ride beats the hell out of the Murray I was using and I figure 3 hours twice a week for 5 months a year with no problems at all isn't bad. The 'see if you can get 1500 hours" quote by someone who obviously is a snob for bigger iron or never rode one. Its a fairly tough little riding mower but if you want a real tractor go larger.
Gordon 12 I bought a Scotts JD 2554 MO2552SO28341 From Home Depot in Sept 01. It has over 500 hrs on it and I am well pleased with it except the last season it doesn't want to start. I turn the key and just get a "click"!!I learned from the internet how to check it out and found the solenoid needed replacing. Did that (new solenoid 80 bucks)but guess what? Still no start. Has anyone else been down this road? Will appreciate any help.
JIMBO I bought a JD l02 in 2006 and it is down more than cutting grass, the problem is it floods out fast, and when it is used and starts and it is warm and i try to start it again it floods out.
just got it back from the mower shop and the guy their could`nt figure it out and did`nt fix the problem. It does`nt have many hours of use on it, does anyone know what the problem could be??

Neal I have JD LA 140 that I purchased from HD. It only has 63 hours and has no power when going forward or reverse. I have a Johnny Bucket attached to move mulch and topsoil. I also used it to clear my drivewaqy of snow. Because I paid around 1900 for the tractor and another 1200 for the bucket I would like to save it. Does anyone know why the power loss happened? Did I kill the hydrostatic transmission? It is worth replacing? Any guidance is appreciated.
George my scotts 17.542 koeler engine/42" cut runs and cuts great for about 20-30 min., then starts missing sputtering, etc...It started this about a month ago..I have cleaned out the fuel system, changed spark plugs, air filter, keep oil and filter changed (uses no oil)sounds like the kill switch may be contacting intermittely..where is the kill switch located and how do I check it out..
Steve Klayman Great post. Here's a question I have. I just moved into my house this past winter. We have 3.5 acres of property, of which I have to mow about 3 acres, maybe a bit less. It's all open flat "field" type land, slightly bumpy. We used to live in a suburbia development, with .6 acres, so this is a huge change. I had a Craftsman LT1000, but after 2 months of cutting the huge property, it's crapped out. My budget to replace it is $1500, so I'm looking used. I saw someone selling a used Scotts by John Deere (I think it's the same as the L100 JD), but from reading this, it won't last. The local tractor shop has a Cub Cadet LT1554. Will either of these tractors give me many years of use, assuming regular maintenance? If not, what can I get for $1500 that will?
Frank I also have the John Deere LT160 , what a great mower . It actually drives live a small luxury car. For anyone thinking about buying a JD from one of the big box stores , do not. I have heard nothing but horror stories , its pay me now , or pay me later.
Ken G. I have a JD LA 140. The problem is the tranny. It's a Tuff Torq K46, which is a light duty hydrostatic transmission. The X300 has the same one, so there's going to be similar issues. If you want to use ground engaging accessories, or have a lot of hills to contend with, or a lot of area to cut, you need to either go with the X500 series or upgrade your tranny to the k66 from Tuff Torq. The Craftsman is made by AYP and is a good tool too, but check out the tranny before you buy, they use Tuff Torq too. Make sure it's "beefy" enough to do what you want it to do. Anything more than flat lawn cutting and the K46 just doesn't "cut" it...
Justin Im not saying the john deere's at home depot are junk but mtd has a contract with john deere, and toro and they already own cub cadet the toros and john deeres are made by mtd to john deere and toro's specs built by mtd and sold with john deere and toro's logos and sold at a resonable price you could get yard machine, etc and they are the same thing. Just look at the decks they are the same thing just different wheels.
Joe I have used a JD 160 model for 22 years on a 2 acre lot. No problems other than having to work on mowing deck a few times. Excellent machine.
Chuck You also have another option.

I just bought a John Deere 318 with a 46" mower deck that has been completley rebuilt. 1600$

I am happier than a pig in S#!^T I am however willing to accept that over the years it will need some repairs. It is an over 20 year old machine and going strong as the day it was made.

I have not owned a craftsman or an L1xx series JD. And I will not pass judgement. However I had the same problem moved to a bigger lot need a ride on hey HD sells them cheap.... After a little research.. NO WAY Ill buy a used Tank not a new piece of sheet metal.

Anyway I am happy good luck

Kirk R. I have a G110 that has started blowing fuses whenever the mower clutch is engaged. It was suggested to me by the JD service dept that the ($160.00)clutch has shorted out (and this is a common cause for blowing fuses). Any thoughts or suggetions? Also, when I tried to remove the existing cluth I found that the retaining bolt won't budge. This may be a silly question, but does that bolt have left handed threads?
Arica Im looking for a LT160 used lawn mower transmission, part #AM130330, if anyone knows please email me back and let me know, very much appreciated.

arica

rich Am looking to buy a used 2 yr old JD La110 for $900. looks like its in good shape, rides and cuts well. What can i expect with this mower. I have 2 acres mostly flat slight hill in front to thr road.
Scott I currently own a JD LT180 and have had zero problems with it. I can always count on turning the key and having the engine start. It's about 5 years old but has less than 60 hours on it (small yard.) My only gripes are the grass that collects on the deck and around the spindles (42C.) Ocassionaly I have to adjust the level of the deck, I guess it vibrates out of adjustment.
My yard has a fair amount of potholes and bumps. I can really feel and trust the strength of the GREEN frame when I'm on 3 wheels.

Prior to the LT180, I had a GX345 when I mowed about 4 acres. There is no comparison to be made because the mowers are not in the same class. That said, it was woth every penny I paid (about $7500.) One thing I like about JD, the higher-end models, is they retain trade-in value unlike disposable mowers of lower quality.
Yes, there is a difference in quality between entry level JD's and higher-end models. You get what you pay for.
This is not a slight on the entry level models or any other brand for that matter. I have a Homelite leaf blower (made by JD) and it has served me well for years. Sure, a Stihl is better (in my opinion), also costs more.

randy I bought the JD G100 lawn and garden tractor for cutting my 1 acre lawn. The 2nd summer the engine (kohler command 25 v-twin ohv model cv730s) started smoking real bad upon initial start up. The 5th summer the engine blew up completely. I bought it based on the John Deere name without any research from Home Depot. Basically it cost me about 1000 dollars a year to cut my lawn. Never again.
DBaker I think everyone who bought a G100 should get to gether for a class action suit against John Deere.
JAMES TOMAS COULD YOU KINDLY GET BACK TO ME THE UNIT PRICE OF THIS JOHN DEERE PART WITH THE PART NUMBER RE60021 FUEL FILTERS ELEMENT, ALSO I NEED 250 PCS INCLUDING THE GRAND TOTAL SHIPPING COST TO MY ADDRESS IN NEW YORK, 124-20 Liberty Avenue
South Richmond Hill, NY 11419

LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU ASAP,

JAMES

CHERRY BROOKS could you kindly get back to me the unit price of this fuel filters re60021, including the grand total shipping cost of this items....250 pcs to my address in new york,

looking forward to hear from you asap,

brooks

Bryan Blair I've had my JD L100 for over 9 years now, it runs like new! Looks good, I take very good care of it, change the oil and grease etc, plastic scratches but I am able to buff it out to a nice shine! In my opinionh I got what I paid for. My lawn is 3/4 acres.
Roger Callstrom I have a 2002 LX279 that caught fire yesterday. If you have one, checke between the heat shield and the muffler. Grass builds up between the two and can catch fire like mine did. Total loss.
Roger Callstrom I have a 202 LX279 that caught fire yesterday. If you have one, check between the heat shield and the muffler. Grass builds up between the two and can catch fire like mine did. Total loss.
T-Dog Have a 22 hp brigs motor in a L120 John deere, it starts up and mows fine for 30 to 40 minutes. Then it starts sputtering and dies, it won't start right back up. If you let it sit 5 to 10 minutes then it starts right up and runs fine for another 30 to 40 minutes and then dies again. If you turn the choke on while it is sputtering it will keep it running for longer but still usually dies. Any advice?
Steve I've been mowing & bagging 2-1/2 acres w/ an STX38 black deck for 19 years (!) and it still runs and works fine with nearly zero work done to it and nothing major.

Gonna buy an X300 next month.

kevin I have a JD 160 that is about 25 years old. Every couple of years I end up spending $200-300 to keep it running. I am thinking about selling it and getting something new. My question is: am I better off hanging on to the 160 or replacing it with an L115 or an equilivent competitor?
Mac You can get a new ball joint and/or drag link or pop the drag link over the ball and build up the lip on the drag link with weld. Just try not to weld the two solid.
Gregg Why doesn't that part show up in the schematic?
mark i have a 02 or 03 lt 180 same battery, 826 hrs
but i to am looking for a transaxle

chris I have a LA150 and mow about 3 acres of hilly yard with it. It is an ok mower if you don't mind putting some parts in it every year, and yes I do maintain the mower. 3 years old and 175 hours on it and I have replaced the PTO clutch, the drive belt, a spindle on the deck for one of the blades, and a battery. The front wheel bearings are now shot and so are the steering gears. I also think the transaxle may be done, but not sure if it is only the drive belt, which I replaced 2 years ago. If it is the transaxle it is almost $700.00 just for the part. I wish I would have just bought a better quality mower. An L series is ok for a nice flat 1 acre yard, but they should have never made one with a 54 inch deck, because it intices people like me to think that it is capable of handling a large yard. Still working on this mower, hoping it is just the belt again. I really don't want to have to buy another mower and would like to stretch a few more years out of this one. If only I would have known when I bought it, I would have never gotten this mower, the damn green paint just isn't worth it!
Joe I have a 20+ year old Simplicity brand garden tractor that I am still using to cut the grass. I also use the snowblower and the tractor-driven garden tiller. The thing is a beast. You might want to look at other brands too, but as others have said, it WILL cost you. I paid as much for mine used, as the ones you are looking at, cost when they are new. There are also the New Holland "Boomers" Need to pay $5k to $12k for something great.
Ralph I have an L120. Didn't get past 150 hours and it fell apart. Dealer now tells me the engine, despite regular maintence, needs replacement. Comparing costs I'm being quoted its cheaper to buy a new again. Very disappointing.
Tom I bought the JD LT160 in the spring of 2002 and have had zero problems with it. It gets a workout in mowing 2 acres in mostly field type of grass. No beautiful lawn here. Only parts that have been replaced is the drive belts.
by the say...did John Deere ever make a snow blower for the LT160?

Eric I have had a JD 120 auto 42" for about 5 years. I bought it from a dealer and got it for a fair price with a front blade and pull behind spreader. It has been great. I know I do more than what it should handle but it comes out with a smile. I have owned a few Craftsman GT's and was not happy with them. It always seemed like I was fixing something on them. I gave them away just to get rid of them. I mow an acre and plow my 150' drive without any issues. I'll be the first to say I am hard on this tractor, yet it always pulls thru. I've even used the blade for spreading and smoothing topsoil. I am not an expert but from my experience you get what you pay for. In your case I would look for an older Deere GT. That is my next purchase. I spent my early years working on 3 farms and would catch myself using their JD GT more often than not. They feel like they can do anything you put to them. I don't know a lot about the new Craftsman GT, they could be good. I know the earlier ones were not, at least for me. In my opinion, maintenance is everything. I'm hard on it outside but when its downtime I baby it. Oh and my 120 now has 350 rough hours on it and still runs and works like new. Although I will say I am not happy with JD's version of "durable" powder coating on their decks. Mine is chipping and once it starts it goes quick. Time to get the yellow spray paint out.
kelly I find all of this very interesting.I work at a small gas shop that mainly does nothing but ride on repairs.
I don't know where one guy gets his parts but i can get any one brand as quick as the other.
Sears has greatly improved there steering and is one of the better steering systoms out there now.I have replaced lots of cogs on the bottom of a 2003 up jd steering shaft , Plus there is no adjustment in the tie rods. How about the rearend? Alot of Hydrostatic rearends seem to be dead at around 300hrs. This i don't understand as pierless makes the rearends in most all brands of lawn tractors but jd seems to be haveing the most issues.
Cub cadet and Toro are both owned by MTD now so you can get the same mower at Canadian tire or Home hardware . The only differance will be the colors and price.
I M O no one base series mower is any better than the other. Lok after it and it will look after you.

DeereRider I have a LX178 John Deere, Like T-Dog, it starts up and mows fine for 30 to 40 minutes. Then starts sputtering and dies, it won't start right back up.
If you let it sit 5 to 10 minutes then it starts right up and runs fine for another 30 to 40 minutes and then dies again.
If you turn the choke on while it is sputtering it will keep it running for longer but still usually dies.
I just replaced the fuel pump last week and now this.
Any advice?

Dave The truth about the "Big Box" stores products being inferior is that these companies buy factory seconds and thirds from all types of manufacturers. They do this based on the fact that most of their customers are "homeowners" and will not use it as much as someone in a commercial business. This goes for ALL of the products in these stores. I learned this from a very high ranking person on a "Big Box" corporations board of directors. He advised me that if I wanted a tool or piece of equipment to last under heavy use, do not buy from these stores. Go directly to the dealers themselves.
Marc Chirico We need JD G100 K66 tuff torque trans.
Have read a few of you G100 owners who have blown engines. I sure could use your part to get ours running again.
- marc in seattle

Marc Chirico We need JD G100 K66 tuff torque trans.
Have read a few of you G100 owners who have blown engines. I sure could use your part to get ours running again.
- marc in seattle

Lili I have a John Deere G100 lawn mower. I'm thinking about buying a bagger for the first time.

Does anyone know how well the lawn bagger works in picking up walnut shells while mowing? I have walnut, oak, beech and other trees on five acres that I mow. The nut shells have started piling up over the past few years and I'd like to get rid of them.

Also, does the bagger jam up easy? And is it easy to transfer the clippings into another bag?...I'm told you just keep the same bag on it and reuse it.

Thanks! Lili

mark there is no doubt ron does'nt like john deere I've had a lt133 for 11 yrs mowing an acre and shoving snow in winter 150 ft of driveway runs great traded a junk craftsman in on it to each his own
Bill Right, the IPB has a drag-link that bends down and is held in with a cotter-pin, which would be wholly inadequate:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Riding-mower-tractor-Parts/Model-917270930/0247/1509200/P0040218/00004?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=917270930

The actual one has a ball on the spindle assy and just a hole in the drag-link which is supposed to accommodate the ball. Always pops out forward when turning right. No apparent way of being held in. No aftermarket ball/socket assy could be mounted on sturdy enough.

Looks like the only solution is to drill the drag-link hole through and put in a hardened bolt.

steve Wilson I have a 2007 JD L140 that I bought from the seller of a 2.5 acre rural property my wife and I purchased this passed year. I bought it without checking the model or doing any research I bought it because it was a "John Deere", I bought it because of the name!
Figured I can't go wrong cuz "nothing runs like a deere"right? Well, what a big mistake!! The word "junk" has come out of my mouth a few times this weekend,not to mention a few other expletive deletives.
The thing had no power to climb even the slightest of inclines! So, I called a local dealer and told them that the tractor was having trouble climbing and was stallimg out on slight inclines but seemed to move along ok on flat surfaces.For a peak power 24 HP twin cylinder engine it seemed to have very little power over all. The dealer rep said sounded like the drive belt was loose. I arranged to have them pick it up and address the traction problem and sharpen the blades. I got the tractor back in a couple of days parked in my driveway. I noticed the fuel filter was changed and the oil filter. I started it up and it ran ok and moved along on flat surfaces fine all afternoon pulling light loads of mulch.
Later my wife climbed aboard and we began mowing the lawn. Me on my 10 year old 12 HP single cylinder MTD she on the JD. After about 20 minutes I discovered my wife frustratedly trying to physically shuck the mower along but could not get it to move up an incline. Well now,the same problem still existed after having it serviced. As usual no power to climb upwards!! So I pulled the pin to manually push the tractor to a flatter surface. I got it moving along but as soon as I hit an incline... nothing but the sound of a grunting whiny drive train.......anyway, thats my story. I will let the dealer know what happened and that the problem hasn't been fixed but ya know what? Judging from what I have read here sounds like I have the wrong mower for the job and I firmly believe those that say the Home Depot JD 100 series are meant for flat,residential,less than an acre lawns. Here's what i think. If you have a lot of property to mow and hills to climb use a geared tractor instead of these push drive JD 100 series tractors They are not suitable for large lots that have hills or even slight inclines.My 10 year MTD is gear driven and out works the john deere by far and runs faster and has plenty of guts and it has no trouble climbing hills with half the horse power that the JD 140 has. Yep I made a mistake and a lesson well learned. Entry level tractor indeed! I could buy two MTDs for the entry level price of this JD140
Ya! its a piece of junk! "if" you try to use it for something other than a flat, small, residential, lawn!

RHReese I have a John Deere L100 that is just over 12 years old and I'm still running with the same tires. It cuts my lawn every time I need it to. I do maintenance regularly and have had little or no problems over the years. I did have to replace my seat do to it cracking over the years. I don't miss treat it and I keep it clean. There is no rust on it at all. It is how you maintain your equipment and using it for what it was made for not abusing it. It certainly isn't a piece of junk. Some day I'll buy another.
John Garner I note the posts, some with obvious emotion involved. I've owned the Craftsman, Murray, and John Deere walk behind and riding mowers. I've kept em all serviced and have had excellent service out of all of em, but have not tried to get them to do a job they weren't designed to do. Let me put my experience this way. I've owned Fords, Chevys, Volvos, Nissans, Toyotas, and Mercedes Benz cars. By and large the so called "American made" (none are totally American made anymore) vehicles were junk after 100,000 or so miles, where as the "Foreign made" cars ran and ran and ran. Personally, I just like going out into my garage and getting into my Mercedes Benz and driving looking out over the hood at the MB emblem as opposed to setting on the side of the road calling on star or what ever. Yes the MB and JD costs more to buy, yes they costs more to maintain and yes they sell for top dollar when you decide to sell em, but the pleasure of driving one of em is as they say, "Priceless".

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: