briggs 14.5 hp model 287707 backfire, idle only

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

briggs 14.5 hp model 287707 backfire, idle only

tom I have a HUSKEE with a 14.5hp Briggs model 287707 OHV engine. at any throttle seeting, it would only idle and needed half choke to do that. I rebuilt carb with new parts, no change. Just discovered the intake valve was not moving because the stud holding the rocker arm was loose. I tightened and now valve is operating (turned over engine without plug in place). When I tried to start, it popped a couple times, then backfired, sounded like a cannon, and blew the muffler in two pieces. Any ideas?
Joe After you tightned rocker stud-Did you adjust valve clearance?Intake valve should be .003"-.005" (.08-.13mm)clearance,if you removed exhaust rocker clearance should be .005"-.007"(.13-.18mm)all measurements set cold between valve stem & rocker arm with piston at 1/4" past TDC(piston over the top & 1/4" into it's downward travel)you may have had intake valve adj too tight & it didn't close all the way,could load cyl & muffler with gas,when it did fire it blew muffler apart.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: