New Briggs & Stratton - Fuel flooding cylinder - Ideas??

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

New Briggs & Stratton - Fuel flooding cylinder - Ideas??

Brian in VA I have a 2003 Troy-Bilt Tuffy mower with a Briggs & Stratton 18.5 HP Intek OHV engine. I bought this as a reconditioned mower. Mower and engine are "as-new" - but with one problem.

The motor would not crank after sitting for a week. Intermittent problem. Pulled the spark plug to find about a 1/4 cup of gas in the cyliner.

Has anyone seen this problem? Is it likely to be a fuel pump diaphram or a bad carburator? I am trying to decide if I should return the mower and forego a very good price or make a simple fix.

Any experience with such a problem is appreciated!!

george The simple fix is to install a plastic fuel
shut off in the gas line near an accessable
location.
A lot of people with no problems swear by it,
as it is better then burnning the barn down.

bontai Joe I'm not familiar with this model. Is the gas tank higher than the engine and use gravity to feed fuel? If yes, then you need to have the carb thoroughly cleaned, or rebuilt to prevent the float from sticking and allowing the needle to not seat causing fuel to trickle in while shut off. The fix mentioned above is the cheapest and possibly the best way to prevent fuel from getting to the carb while stored, but not a complete fix of what strongly appears to be a carb problem.
ROLLIE GEORGE HAS THE BEST IDEA- IF IT IS A NEW ENGINE IT SHOULD HAVE A SHUT OFF- BUT SOME DIDN'T- JUST GET THE IN-LINE SHUT-OFF- BUT YOU MUST NOT FORGET WHY YOU ARE INSTALLING IT- GOOD LUCK
Dirty ED You need to correct this condition as well as install a fuel shut off and a fuel filter. Place the filter between the shut off and the carb.
You might want to check/change the oil.
Once you get gas in the cylinder, it will seep by the rings and into the crank case, this may give you a high oil level(thinning the oil) and cause excessive smoking.
Possibly engine damage as well.
I would suspect the float, the seat or dirt/trash in the seat.
Probably just needs a good cleaning.
DED

Brian Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the carburator. I will look into the cleaning and a shut off valve. I have used marine filters often, but never looked for a fuel filter in a hardware store. I am a lot more familiar with boats / marine engines than lawn tractors.

Good advice on the oil.

Ed YEP Had that problem on a 18.5 HP engine.

Could not believe it but I had about
the whole fuel tank into the crankcase.
After sitting -- would not start. thought it
was the battery weak.... lucky it did not
start or I might not be writing this.

Solution: Put Inline shut off/Turn on valve between fuel tank and carb and after the fuel filter.
Shut off after every use. Turn on before use.
Good Luck. What a deal eh?

JONATHAN I have a different problem. My TroyBilt Tuffy will slow down and stop, especially if I am turning. The fancy transmission seems to be the problem, you can "shift on the go" with this model, it even has advice on the sticker between your legs on what to do if it happens; restart the mower etc. The problem is that it gets worse and worse, till the damn thing won't move at all. Any advice?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: