help - change the belt on a craftsman lawn tractor

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

help - change the belt on a craftsman lawn tractor

Simon i have a 42" 17 hp sears lawn tractor that broke it's belt. i got a new belt, but can't get to the sprockets to get it back on. do i have to take off the deck? the cover? how do you get to the sprockets? i don't have a way to lift this up to work on it from below. i jacked up one side with a car-jack, but wonder if that's how you do this.
thanks for any advice.

THINGY Your owners manual,[if you got one],will tell you how to change belts,,,and yes,you have to take the mower deck off,,,5 min job,,well,,,you will need somekind of instuctions on how to route your new belt,,,which belt are you talking about,,,mower belt,,or drive belt? Your owners manual will also show you that,,,,if you got one,,,if you don't,,you need one,,,sears may be able to get you one,,,don't know,saved mine,,,,thingy
Fred I've replaced both drive and mower belts on my 42" sears. You must remove the mower deck and get it completely outta the way to access the drive pulley (if its this belt), also they say to remove belt guides as well, but getting to the bolts to do that requires Houdinni type maneuvers so i just bent them outta the way, then back when done....much easier. Most sears have belt routing diagram under the footrest on left side. Mower belt replacement is easier but you need to review the procedure and route in your manual. Typically this can be done without removing the deck by using the deck lift lever as a slack aid in routing.
Pete I have an 18 HP Craftsman lawn tractor with a 42" mowing deck. I recently changed both the deck belt and the drive belt.

It is possible to change the deck belt without removing the deck, but you have work at it to get the new belt onto the pulleys. To change the drive belt, you must remove the mowing deck, and then unbolt the belt keeper around the main drive pulley to get the old belt off and new on.

I recommend removing the mowing deck for changing the deck belt also. The deck is easy to remove - you merely pull out about five rtaining clips. Once the deck if off the tractor, changing the deck belt is child's play.

Scott I recently completed the install of the deck belt. I was able to tilt the deck down by removing the retaining clips on either side of the deck. However the belt isn't as tight as it was before. Any tips? it's seems to be routed correctly.
Andrew Hey scott try lubing your tensioner pulley it may have rust or dirt stopping it from putting the proper force against the belt, been there done that. As far as changing the belt I have always pulled the deck off, it's somewhat simple all it is, is simply pulling out the pins and wiggling it out. The belt diagram is usually on the deck however when you put the belt under the guard make sure you move it UNDER the brake or you will have wasted a belt. YEP I DID IT!!oops
Allen Deaver Replaced drive belt on Sears 917.25730 (1973)-matched up perfectly with old belt-clutch works fine and belt becomes slack but with idler pulley in most slack position-transmission is still being driven too much to change gears-is the new belt too tacky and what do you do about it? Thanks
jerry bertrand i have a 25 hp sears model 917.272201 mower i am looking for how to change the drive belt. i have all my books but it doesnt show how to i have had it jacked up pretty high and see no way except to take the whole bodt off just to get to the back , can anyone help please e-mail me thanks
Gary need help changing the v-belt on my sears 22hp 46" deck craftsman garden tractor
ed ellsworth I have a rider mower that say craftsmen on it It's grey but i have no idea what the year or serial # is This make it imposible to buy part for it any idea on how to get around it The serial # plate is worn too baddly to read
Thanks ed

Bob If I pull pins to remove deck, is there something I have to do for the lever to engage the cutting wheeel, that tightens the belt? Does it go into something or just go down?? I am leary of taking the 4 pisn out- is there a linement to get those pins back in???
bob crockett Having trouble replacing the idler pulley on my lawn tractor. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to do this?
It's a Craftsman Lawn Tractor Model 917.271910.

NETI.HANUMANTHA I need to change the belt for the rear wheel drive for lawn mower model 917.377651.
I tried from bottom and removed the blade and afterwards the plate like things,spline bushes .special washers just camout and I do not know how to assemble.
can some expert guide me how to assemble step by step if possible with part nos and very thankful for their help.

NETI.HANUMANTHA I need to change the belt for the rear wheel drive for lawn mower model 917.377651.
I tried from bottom and removed the blade and afterwards the plate like things,spline bushes .special washers just camout and I do not know how to assemble.
can some expert guide me how to assemble step by step if possible with part nos and very thankful for their help.

John 1) Go to www.searspartsdirect.com
2) Enter Model number (look under seat)
3) Request manual

4) Print / save Manual as pdf file

5) Go skin your knuckles - its a tight fittin SOB

Geo People keep saying that you can go to Searspartsdirect.com and get a free pdf of their lawn tractor after entering the model of the Craftsman tractor. When I got that, I was presented with the opportunity to buy an owner's manual for almost $20, delivered.

So, how do you get this free pdf download? $20 for a manual for a 20+ year old tractor seems like an iffy proposition.

Geo Well, I figured it out. If Sears will not give you the manual for your particular model, you just need to find a similar model that they do post pdf's of the manual of. For example, there is no pdf of my 917.256490 model, but there is one of the similar 917.256450 and the 917.256451 and 917.256430.

No idea why they pick and choose, but they do and you just have to hunt for something similar...or send them $20.

stephen a joY Need to know how the deck belt should go on a 42 inch riding tractor
Gary H I have changed the drive belt twice. Both times it ran for a short period of time and then started smoking and had shred the belt. What am I doing wrong?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Lawn Tractor / Garden Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: