Rebuild/replace engine on L245DT?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Kubota Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Rebuild/replace engine on L245DT?

Chuck Jones I have an L245DT with front loader that needs an engine rebuilt or replaced, possibly worn crankshaft. Dealer wants $ 4900 to do it. Is it worth it or should I get another tractor? If so, would anyone be interested in the tractor for parts or could replace the engine cheaper?
Charlie of OKC Dealer price sounds about right...but suggest you do it yourself for less than half of that. Find yourself a good machine shop that's willing to explain some of the workings of a motor rebuild. Then depending on what shape the ancillary parts are in you either rebuild them or replace them. Injectors can be rebuilt for half the cost of new ones, the injector pump can be rebuilt for the price of a new one..go figure... Assume it's all right, because it is expensive. Fuel pump can be rebuilt if you can get the diaphragm, oil pump probably all right. Get on the manuals portion of this website and you can order an engine overhaul manual which gives all the instructions for a rebuild. The machine shop may be able to provide the machining dimensions for tne crankshaft and cylinder bores. The manual will give you the over/under size data for the parts you will need,i.e. pistons, rings, bearings.
Sounds daunting but not impossible ...I did it and found it to be quite enjoyable. Much cheaper than a new tractor.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Kubota Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: