BX2200 Power steering problem

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Kubota Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

BX2200 Power steering problem

BoB Evancho Does anybody know the Kubota Service Bulletin number covering the power steering problem causing no steering to the right and the steering wheel just turns?
My Kubota BX2200 will and then won't turn right with the steering wheel just spinning. It goes good left. I must quickly turn the steering wheel right for it to respond.
Is the problem caused by a bad hydraulic steering cylinder? DID KUBOTA GET A BAD BATCH OF POORLY MACHINED CYLINDERS THAT WEAR OUT THE RUBBER RINGS?
Thanks for your help.
BoB Evancho

Bill Yes they did have cylinder problems my dealer did replace the first one for just labor cost. The second one nine months later I had to replace it again at full price not cheap to do. I have a BX22 this was about two years ago. Sorry I can't find the number fot the PIB. Just keep after the dealer.
GOOD LUCK Bill

jason I purchased the bx 2230 and have had quite a few problems with it. Firstly the electrical, the tractor can not get wet. If you're going to operate the tractor in the rain, you'll need to disconnect all the switches on the instrument panel. Now after two years and 250 hours the power steering has failed. What began as a small leak around the steering wheel, quickly turned into a major leak. The position Kubota is taking, I need to fork out $700 for a new hydrostatic steering pump, plus labor. Parts are not sold separately for the pump, including the seals. I've been reviewing posts on several different forums and have seen a lot of problems with steering failure. My question... Does anyone have any information they could share that could help me? I'd really appreciate any help.

Steve I have a BX2200 with about 750 hours on it. This season, I have noticed that after running it for several hours and then stopping for fuel, I have no steering once I start it up again. I can spin the wheel until it stops in either direction and then the steering functions again. If I let it sit for a while, the steering will work again. It hasn't stopped working while mowing - just after I stop after running the tractor for a couple hours. Any thoughts?
Bill S All the hydrostatic power steering prior to 2006 have the steering problem which can be very dangerous. They need to recall this power steering cyl. The best hope for all you Kubota owners is to follow this link to report it. To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html

Bill S All the hydrostatic power steering prior to 2006 have the steering problem which can be very dangerous. They need to recall this power steering cyl. The best hope for all you Kubota owners is to follow this link to report it. To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html

Charlie P I have that same problem with my 2003 L 3130 it will not turn very well to the right and even if on a very slight side hill slpoe you can loose control very dangerous have almost hit tree and my son has almost hit me it started doing this at 500 hours I have changed oil and filters as specified by the book and this is what I get that really ticks me off I had just sent the last payment too. please post and call following Last post read All the hydrostatic power steering prior to 2006 have the steering problem which can be very dangerous. They need to recall this power steering cyl. The best hope for all you Kubota owners is to follow this link to report it. To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html
frank Simpson Jr/ The steering cylinder has been changed twice by the dealer on my BX2200, now its gone again. I read that prior to 2006 Kubota has had a sericous problems with the steering cylinder. How could get a upgraded cylinder for my tractor, 2006 or newer to resolve this problem
frank Simpson Jr/ The steering cylinder has been changed twice by the dealer on my BX2200, now its gone again. I read that prior to 2006 Kubota has had a sericous problems with the steering cylinder. How could get a upgraded cylinder for my tractor, 2006 or newer to resolve this problem.
GARRY L. BRANSON I HAVE A 2001 BX2200 KUBOTA TRACTOR WITH STEERING PROBLEMS. SOMETIMES IT WILL NOT TURN AT ALL AND IT WANDERS WHEN TRYING TO DRIVE STRAIGHT WITHOUT MOVING THE STEERING WHEEL QUICKLY TO GET IT TO RESPOND.
CliffH I have a BX2230 that will loose all steering at any given time. The wheel will just spin in either direction. It does not seem to matter conditions operating under or durration. Dealer has no answers other than bring it in and we will fix you up. Last trip was 6 hours shop labor to diagnose before repair. Any help to save the reaming from shop would be appreciated.
Bill Howard i have had very bad problems with 3130 steering mine just quite turning (problem was springs fell out inside steering sector!!!)200hr.second time 2springs fell out inside porpellor of steering box 325hr.
William Knox I have the same steering problem. First repaired with about 200 hours on it, about two years ago. It is now going out again, with about 250 hours on it. I think it is a 2004 or 2005 model. I bought it new.
Brad I purchased my Bx2200 brand new in 2001 and have started having major steering issues. Upon start up, often times, the steering won't work at all....the steering wheel will just spin left and right with no turning of the wheels. The tractor has 750 hrs on it and has been trouble free to this point, however, I'm told by the dealer that the fix for this is a new power steering pump, at over $700. plus labor. According to him, you can't replace any parts, have to replace the entire pump. I can't find any used or salvage anywhere. I've also noticed it is starting to wander a bit when the steering is working......can anyone offer any suggestions short of coughing up the cash or trading the thing?
Andrew Truitt Same problems, sometimes no steering at start up, while mowing or when turning the wheel slow. I put a new 800.00 pump on it ,same thing.Could be the rack,cylinder, dealers are no help, they dont know either.
Jeff Webb I have a 2002 BX2200. I have had the same problem. Took it to Messicks in Elizabethtown, PA. They gave me a quote of $2000. That sounds like a lot of money to me for something that is going to go bad again. Thoughts on this? Is ther a recall on this?
Gary Just got my BX2200 back from dealer after replacing "power steering controller" as it was listed on invoice. $1060.57. $779.57 for the part. It appears from the conversation in this forum that Kubota has a history of this item being defective. Is there any record of a recall etc.?
Lon Same steering problem as everyone else. Metal shavings in the hydraulic fluid score the inside of the cylinger. Cylinder needs to be replaced.

vince My steering wanders and this is after I replaced my lines. Its fine when its first started but after 15min its starts to show. It wanders on its own when your trying to go steight unless u do a quick jerk. almost as if there is air in lines and it finally reaches the controller after its running. Pleas help
j c johnson my 2001 bx 2200 has the same steering problem but mine goes fine to the right then 5 to 10 turns get it to turn left. what is the cure for this?
Mike Same deal with my steering on a 2004 BX2230. If you remove the hydraulic lines, from the cylinder, then cap them off. Start your machine at idle speed only. If the steering turns, it's the steering controler, if the steering wheel doesn't turn, it's the steering cylinder. This is what I've been told. I haven't figured out how to get the hydraulic lines off the cylinder. I'm guessing you have to remove the tie rods from the wheel hubs?? Any other easier way to remove the cylinder/piston??
Leon
My 2002 BX2200 is developing the same problem of wandering will trying to maintain a straight line. I hope a fix can be found soon.

Larry Same problem... No steering after it warms up, or steering wanders. Took cylinder off, took it to a hydraulics shop and had the internal o-ring replaced. The original oring was flat. Seems to have fixed it. $20.

It's not the steering motor- did that a while back but didn't make a difference.

Yes, you have to unscrew the tie rod ends and take off the cylinder to get to the hoses.

ak me too wandering and wheel spin right without engageing i was going down a fairly steep hill and lost control fliped over-- this thing could be a death trap. i got awar with a cut on my leg and bumps and burses.HELP!
John Kamerer Bought mime in 2001. have the same problems as listed above. I bought a seal kit for $50 and serviced the pump. it is still as bad as before. $800 is quite steep for this pump. I'll never by another Kuboa as they won't stand behind this defect when thye know about it. I'm pi------ed
Drew I did the same as Larry and mine is working just fine now. Maybe $10 worth of seals and couple hours labor.

Same problem... No steering after it warms up, or steering wanders. Took cylinder off, took it to a hydraulics shop and had the internal o-ring replaced. The original oring was flat. Seems to have fixed it..

ak borough my 2003 bx2200 with 800 hours has the same issue. i got the new cylinder for $280 but need step by steps instruction to replace do i need any special tools? does the entire rod shaft knuckles and joints need to come off? video world be great
ak borough follow up---attempted to remove the cylinder but after removing the tirrod end from the hub i could not get any more of it apart HELP!
Tim For those trying to remove the steering cylinder:
1)remove grill and side panels (4 bolts)
2)remove flywheel cover (6 bolts)
3)disconnect the hydraulic hoses
4)disconnect tie rod ends from the hubs
5)disconnect the steering cylinder (4 bolts)
have steering cylinder rebuilt and reverse procedure.

Troy Brandt I have the same problem with my 2003 bx2200. It has 550 hours....I will tty the rebuild. Mine wonders terrible.
Tenn Steve 2005 bx22. Same problem
SCOTT SAME PROBLEM MINE IS A 2003 BX2200 I BOUGHT NEW
STEERING WANDERS WITH NO CONTROL WHAT IS KUBOTA GOING TO DO WHEN SOMEONE GET HURT REAL BAD BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM

SCOTT SAME PROBLEM MINE IS A 2003 BX2200 I BOUGHT NEW
STEERING WANDERS WITH NO CONTROL WHAT IS KUBOTA GOING TO DO WHEN SOMEONE GET'S HURT REAL BAD BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM

David Ryerson The steering on my kubota BX2200 has gone bad as apparently many others. Because of the problem, the tractor (going on a slight grade) and turned the tractor, with me on it, over a bank and down a steep steep cliff. Fortunatly it hit a tree and stopped just short of going into the lake. I am disabled and had real problem getting up the bank. I am still using the tractor but I am nervious doing so. pleas advise, Dave
David Ryerson I wrote yesterday about a sterring problem on my 2230 tractor.. I am interested in trading it for a larger unit 77700 ? The graas is growing fast and I have six acears to mow !!!!!
Please find me good price that I can purchase
with a trade. {the tractor is in very good shape and always kept inside}
please help ------ Thank you for your anticipated co operation. Dave

JONATHAN D. TOMLIN I have had stering problems for bout five years.My pump on start up it might work,cold or hot it has no certain time.When it does work it rambles all over the yard.I have 617 hr.on the tractor.Allof my electrical has been out for years(flashers,head lights,turn signals).MY tractor was bought new in 2003-2004 cant remember.I think kubato should have to replace this pump for free. They had a recall on the fluid lines .700.00 dollars for a pump is BS.
william p. moore steering problem for some time. lately it has gotten worse. has anyone gotten any help from the factory?
gary lee hughes i have bx2350 bought new in 2007. it has 500 hours . when you are on the side of a hill it goes left and will not go right.
Tom Riedhammer Same problem with my 2001 BX2200. 350 hours as of June 2014. Is the cylinder o-ring really the problem?
grouch I bought my bx2200 3/2001 I finished cutting my field got back on and had no steering I left the front end up and it turns but when there is weight on the wheels no turning. the steering just spins and nothing happens could this be my front cylinder when I crack open the hydraulic line and turn the wheel fluid comes out under psi with the engine running.
grouch I bought my bx2200 3/2001 I finished cutting my field got back on and had no steering I lefted the front end up and it turns but when there is weight on the wheels no turning. the steering wheel just spins and nothing happens could this be my front cylinder when I crack open the hydraulic line and turn the wheel fluid comes out under psi with the engine running.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Kubota Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: