John Deere 318

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 318

Bill Just put a new battery in tractor. Now, when I turn key, I hear starter, but motor doesnt turn over and start. any ideas, what is wrong, and how to get started?
Jerry If you put a new battery in, make sure the positive and negative posts aren't swaped. If you install a battery with backwards posts, your starter will spin backwards and the bendix [gear that engages the ring gear on flywheeel] won't extend and engage. Check the polarity of your old battery, and see if your cables are long enough to swap polarity on the new battery, or take it back and scream at who you got it from.

FRED If you just hear a loud click when key is turned you may need am107421 starter kit. This fixes the problem most of the time. P.S. Only if it's a solenoid shift starter.
Tim Boisvert The soleniod may be stuck. Tap the starter with a hammer while someone is trying to start it.
Joe recently i replaced the battery, flywheel, starter, and coil on my 318 and life was pretty good although it has still has sometimes sounded a little lazy trying to start. Yesterday the small hot wire would not stay on the starter (solenoid) so i replaced the connector with a standard blade connector and everything started smoking around the starter. I replaced it with a new insulated one and when i tried it again I got a brief wiz sound and now the starter clicks but wont turn the engine over. its like something is locked up. just clicking each time i hit the kiey. Any suggestions before I tear into it again?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: