John Deere 425, engine stalls when PTO is engaged

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 425, engine stalls when PTO is engaged

Tim Boisvert Just got this tractor and when the PTO for the mower is engaed, the motor will stall if the throttle is not all the way up. Once the blades on the deck start turning, the motor will pick up speed and all seems normal.

Is this normal? It is a 60" deck and I've check the spindles on the deck to see if any feel tight but all seems ok.

Dave Tim - It is normal for the engine to shudder a bit when engaging the pto. How much throttle are you at when engaging the pto? If you are below half-throttle, the shudder will be more dramatic. Just a note, you should run the engine at full throttle for normal operation. But reducing the throttle for pto engagement is advised. Finding the proper throttle setting for pto engagement may be a bit trial and error. - Dave
billde if your engine is not warmed up it is normal to have to be at nearly full throttle. once the engine is warm you should be able to engage the deck at roughly half throttle. remember this is shaft drive [no belt slippage] so it takes power to start your deck.
Tim Boisvert Thanks guys,

When it is cold, it has be be at full throttle. I haven't really had it warmed up yet as I'm already in winter and can't mow.

Will it act the same when running a snow blower? I can't understand why Deere didn't allow for some slippage as the PTO clutch engages.

JD Gene I use my 425 for utility purposes, use of a loader and for snow blowing only although I do have a mower deck. It does not stall the engine when turning on the PTO for the blower even when cold. The snow blower attachment takes less power to start than the mower attachement. You still need to run the mower at max RPM to throw the snow and reduce loading when the snow is deeper. My JD X540 does require the throttle to be at max to start the mower when the engine is cold. It does have belt drive. Mowers require a lot of starting torque. My X540 has 6 more horse power and has the same 54" deck as my 425.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: