John Deere 214 not starting/Making clicking sound

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 214 not starting/Making clicking sound

Pryor Taylor My John Deere 214 lawn tractor was thought to have a dead
battery (the battery is old)and so a new one was place in the mower. Initially it
started just fine. Now the mower will not start and I hear a clicking
sound coming from it. The amp meter jumps (positive reading) at
each click. What could be the problem?

Dave Pryor - Is the new battery the correct size? A lot of "lawn & garden tractor" batteries don't have the cranking power. Also, if the battery was not properly charged before putting it into service, it may not be taking and holding a charge properly.

It's possible the connections in the ignition circuit are loose or corroded, and not allowing enough current through.

The charging system may not be up to par, and has allowed the new battery to get run down.

I suggest you inspect all connections at the battery, starter, ignition switch, and PTO switch to make certain they are tight and clean.

Start the tractor and at full idle, check the voltage coming off the voltage regulator. You should get a reading in excess of 12 volts, probably somewhere between 13 and 14. Also check the voltage at the battery while at full idle.

If the voltage is low coming off the voltage regulator, then either the voltage regulator or the stator is bad.

If the voltage is good, then either the battery is defective or there are some bad connections in the circuitry.

Good luck. - Dave

bontai Joe Looks like Dave has covered everything. I hope you get it fixed and enjoy your Deere.
Pryor Problem Solved. Found a short at the ampere meter
mounting bracket. Amp meter was indicating a current
leakage. Broken insulator on mounting bracket allowing
current to go to tractor metal base.

bontai Joe Glad to hear you found the problem. Thanks also for letting us know.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: