1974 4020 John Deere (Hydraulic Pump)

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1974 4020 John Deere (Hydraulic Pump)

Josh Yost Have above mentioned tractor. The steering and three point hydraulic lift has failed. Not leaking fluid. Need help with pump location and removal.
Dick Your pump should be directly in front of the engine and driven off the engine crankshaft, if it is like our 1965 4020 Diesel. The pump is a radial piston design with an unloading feature the lifts the pistons off the actuation cam when there is no need for hydraulic flow. Once a valve is opened or steering input is made, the pistons drop back down on the cam and begin pumping. The pump will require some work to take off, but you should be able to handle it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. If you are uncomfortable about rebuilding the pump, your JD dealer can handle that for you. It is really not that complicated if you decide to repair it yourself. Make sure you clean the outside of the pump thoroughly before starting any disassembly and work in clean environment to prevent and contaminants from getting into the pump, as the tolerance are very tight and even the slightest amount of dirt could render a repair job usless. Just make sure you watch how it comes apart and reassemble it in the same manner once you determine what parts need to be replaced. If you do find the pump has failed, you will need to flush the entire hydraulic/transmission system and replace the filters. I would suggest running the tractor for about a week after you rebuild the pump and change the oil and filters in the hydraulic system. After a week of running, change the filters again to insure that all contaminants are filtered out of the hydraulic fluid.
MATTHEW JOSH
I'M NOT A SERVICE TECH.HOWEVER I MANAGED A LARGE DEERE DEALERSHIP FOR 5 YEARS, ALSO I HAVE A 1972 4020 WITH A LEAKY HYDRO. PUMP. MY SERVICE MANAGERS OPINON "DON'T FIX TILL IT QUITS" AS YOUR'S HAS FOR THE REMOVAL REQUIRES REMOVING THE FRONT AXEL TO REMOVE THE PUMP.
JOSH PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED DEALER FOR SAFE INSTRUCTIONS AND INFO.
HOPE THIS HELPS.

James Does your tractor move. The same pump does the steering, brakes, transmisson, PTO etc. YOu may just have a stuck valve.

James

Julie Any comments about problems with the hydraulic pump for the arms on the back of the 4020?
BRAD DAVIS if you have no steering or hydraulics at all, and they quit all at once, check your high pressure pump coupling (the one under the radiator)if intact its probley your transmission charge pump that has a problem
George Marchon Dear Sir
I would be gratreful to you if you could kindly explain to me the working of the John deere radial piston hydraulic pump with an unloading feature having a load signal with a drawing if possible.
Best Regards
George Marchon
Marine Chief Engineer

George Marchon Dear Si
Request coupling Drawing of how Deutz engine is connected to john deere radial piston pumps
Best Regards
George Marchon

Andy Can't be a 1974 4020. Deere quit building them in 1972. You're welcome.

Good luck with your hydraulic woes!

Dig Deep!

Cha-ching!

~Andy

terry does the frame plate need to be removed before the front pump can come off ? 1970 j.d. 3020
jt where is the transmission charge pump located at

jt can u messany any thing up when u splite apart a 4020 tracter

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: