SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

4240 deere will not restart

mike I have a 4240 John Deere that I have changed both batteries and the cables. I also had the starter tested as well as the alternator, I also installed a new starter solenoid. This thing will start cold but once it has been running and you turn it off, you go to restart it and it will try to turn over but just will not start. At that time I check the voltage and I am getting a full 12.3 volts to the starter. I sure hope someone can point me in the right direction on where to go next?
ponymare It may be worth your while to have the starter tested at a different place.
Sam Have had starter problems like yours before.
It has been found, when some (not all) starters
have age on them, they may check out fine when cold, but bad when hot. Problem being, hard to test a starter when it's hot. In the shop we just installed a new starter and gave it another go to see if that was the problem, most of the time it was. Some brands of starters are very bad at not working when they get heated up by the engine heat. Some of the cars have a starter just below the exhaust manifold, they were very bad at going out when hot. The factory fix was to add a heat shield between the starter and heat source, that helped a little, but not a fix.

Yogi There is another item that works cold and sometimes wont work hot, that is the old mechanical fuel pump. With both, starter and fuel pump doing this, if we could get to either one easy, we would get a gallon jug of cold water and have it with us, then run the machine untill it gave the no run or no start problem, then we would at that time pour the cold water over the suspected part, starter, or pump, the water would cool the parts off, and would start or run. that was the way we tested to see if they were bad when hot. 90% of the time that method worked.
Harold emery This sounds like hydraulic load instead of electrical problem. Buy a manual destroke screw and install (not expensive) and will quickly determine if parasitic hyd problem

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: