SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Deere 4400 tie rod removal

bill b I'm trying to replace the tie rod ends on a JD 4400 tractor. The tie rod spins on the steering shaft and there doesn't appear to be any way to hold the shaft from spinning to get the tie rod off/on. Can someone enlighten me as to how to properly remove the tie rods? Thanks.
SmokinDog Are you saying, when you try to remove the nut
holding the tie rod end to the steering shaft the
whole thing spins??? If so we in the shop use a
air wrench to zip off the nut. You can hold the
tie rod end from spinning with a tie rod removal
fork. If your doing this at home without proper
tools it can be a real headache, Other wise nothing to it.

bill b Thanks for the reply. You've confirmed my worst fears. Looks like I'm in for a real headache.
bill b Well, for anyone who does a search for this, I found my shade tree solution. I held the steering rod with vice grips, put a little heat on the nut and it popped right off. Dodged another bullet.

SmokinDog GOOD DEAL !! Brain power will get it every
time. With some good ole common sence, You must
have both.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: