SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 425 - Need to tow it

Tom Hi all,
I need to tow a JD 425 a short distance (100 yards or less). The former owner is deceased and I do not have any manuals. I am guessing that I need to disengage the hydrostatic transmission and brakes. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Is there anything else I need to do so we don't damage the tractor when towing it?

Thank you and best regards,
Tom

bontai Joe Yes, you do need to disengage the hydro, and you are VERY smart to ask about this as a 100 yard tow would probably cause some expensive damage. I'm not 100% sure about the 425, but if it's like the 318, there is a lever at the back of the tractor that gets pulled out to disengage the hydro. Brakes are easy, if the brake pedals are not locked down, then they are free. If they are locked down, meaning the pedals are depressed close to the foot rest, you press them down a little harder with your foot, and simutainiously release the locking knob. That allows the brake pedals to come up and disengage.
JD Gene bontai Joe is correct. There is a lever in the back - upper right - that needs to be pushed up for towing purposes. It is located on the frame near the right rear tire.
Tom Hi Joe and JD,

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, the day after I posted this question, somebody moved the TWO 425's that I asked about. They were sitting abandoned on a "Freddie Mac" owned property in my neighborhood. I was hoping to get premission to move these machines, and do it the right way. I see by the drag-marks on the ground that they were simply dragged away with the wheels all locked. What had probably been salvageable machines may now have damaged hydro units.

Thanks again.
Tom

bontai Joe If the wheels were locked and didn't rotate, they are probably ok. Locked wheels wouldn't cycle fluid thru the pump.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: