SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

john deere 400 tractor

frank gormley hello i could use some help with my jd 400 mower ,i cant fiqure out mower belt routing
Dale G. Basgall Frank : That's a tough one, I don't know of anyone ever that has not had that same situation including me. Every tractor seems to be different depending which deck you have on it. There should be a belt routing sticker on it and if not send me the 13digit P.I.N. # off the deck or the model # from the deck and I can send you a pic of it.

Dale G. Basgall

bontai Joe Generically speaking for most decks, stand at the back of the deck with it removed from the tractor. Take a marker if needed and draw arrows on the deck to show which way the blades should be turning. Typically the leading edge (front of the deck) of the blades spins toward the side discharge. Belts are almost ALWAYS routed to provide as close to 180 degrees of wrap around the pulleys as possible, never less than 120 degrees as that would cause too much slippage. Wrap the belt around the blade pulleys and you will have quite a bit of belt left over. That gets used to wrap around the spring mounted idler Look at the spring mounted idler. You want the belt to go around the idler in such a way that it will pull against the spring, not push against the spring. If the idler pulley is flat, then the BACK side of the belt goes against the pulley face, if it's a "V" type pulley, then the belt goes normally into the "V". A little patience and a little logic, and you can figure out just about any deck belt routing with no drawing.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: