SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JOHN DEERE MODEL 180

Nick DiMeglio I have a John Deere garden tractor modle 180 and the unit shuts off at times during mowing. could it be the safety switch in the seat? If not, what other clues can you give me? I will get the battery checked today, to see if it is holding a charge. Thanks Nick
Dale G. Basgall Nick : Yes it could be the seat safety switch, I have a story about a seat switch, the most expensive seat switch in history probably, except for the original seat switch stories that caused manufacturers to put them on.

A lady purchased a new John Deere riding mower from a dealer actually the dealer I worked for as a mechanic, I was called out on a field call for a new mower that was stopping at times. The problem was I am on an island and to drive to Hana from the dealership was a five hour trip with no work involved. I made the drive cause the customer was wealthy and really mad at the salesman and dealership.

I drove to her house on the other side of the island 2and a half hours test drove the tractor for 45 minutes and never had a problem, so I asked the customer to run the tractor. Well she was about 5 foot tall and 90 lbs. when she drove flat or uphill the tractor went fine, when she went slightly downhill the tractor would die.

What happened was she was barely heavy enough to make the seat switch push down in the first place and then going downhill she got light on the seat unknowingly and the tractor would die. So the salesman failed to detail the operation of the machine prior to her using it and ended up costing the dealership 8 hours in the field truck, mechanics wages total cost almost 500 bucks for a seat switch that was ok.

Dale G. Basgall

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: