SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 318 keeps stopping

Keith Hello all, i have a JD 318 I purchased last spring. I love it, and use it often. The last two times I've used it I've had problems. It starts up fine, but when you engage to go forward it wants to sputter and quit. I can get it going, forward or backwards(it seems to not do this going backwards), but in this condition it is unusable. I am a novice JD, owner, but wfter reading some other's posts, could I need new points? What exactly do these do, etc. I realize I'll probably have to take it in to get repaired, but I'm willing to give it the old boy scout try!

Any other ideas why my tractor keeps dying on me?

Keith Also, I can tell when it's about to stall/stop, and at times does backfire.

thanks

Tony Bachler You have a series of safety switches on that machine, One on the gear shift. #2 onthe brake pedal #3 onthe seat. #4 mower engagement.==++. now we must see if it gets fuel. Disconnect the line from the carb. I put a longer line on it with a fuel filter connecter. put The line in a bottle, Disconnect the coil wire; Turn the engine over. I like about 10 turns. You should have 3 to 2 oz. of gas in your bottle. If not replace main fuel filter, Check the position of your reserve switch. ON the pedastol; I don't belive you have points in your machine.
Keith Well, the seatsafety switch works, znd I don't have a mower on it, so that eliminates those two, and the switch is turned properly to the main gas tank, which leaves the brake safety and the gear shift safety. I am leaning towards the gas problem though since it starts and I can get it going, but not for much laoinger than 20-30 yds. Sometimes it stalls after 5-10 ft. Will keep you posted.
Dale G. Basgall Keith : Remove the fuel line at the fuel filter and the fuel cap and blow back in the fuel hose with some compressed air until you hear bubbles in the tank. Drop the fuel line below the fuel level in the tank and fuel should run out freely. Re-connect the fuel line to the inlet side of the fuel filter and start the engine with the fuel cap off.

Try that and then if you do not have any more problems try it with the fuel cap on and see what happens. You may be dealing with a plugged vent in the cap or some restriction in the tank like gas fuz.

Other than that there may be an electric wire going to the bowl on the carburetor and that's a fuel shutoff solenoid, make sure it is working or it will starve the engine out also.

Should you need any more assistance please write back on the forum.

Dale G. Basgall

Bruce Wentz Hi Dale
I found my fuel tank filter and hose is off in my tank. The hose is rotted and I want to replace both. How do I remove the fittings in the tank?

Thanks Bruce

keith Thanks for all the advice. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the carbs and was still having problems, so I checked the seat safety switch and noticed it was loose. Plugged it back in and off I went... Thank goodness!
DOUGLAS GRAHAM MY 318 STARTS AND RUNS FINE FOR A LITTLE WHILE AND IT QUITS-LIKE IT IS RUNNING OUT OF GAS. I CHECKED THE FUEL FILTER AND ITS FLOWING OK. TOOK THE TOP OFF THE CARB AND ITS FULL OF GAS. WHEN IT QUITS IT BACK FIRES THROUGH THE EXAUST. AND I HAVE TO WAIT AND COOL OFF AND IT START UP AGAIN. SOME TIMES I CANT RUN IT FOR 15 MINUITS AND IT RUNS FINE. 1 TIME I PUSSED ON THE BRAKE PEDAL AND IT QUIT. ANY KNOWEN PROBLEM WITH THE COIL-CONDENSER?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: