SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

How to test generator output

John Hood I have a 1947 John Deere A with a Delco Remey generator. I bought a new regulator and after installation I turned on the lights and noticed they got bright and then it blew a 25amp fuse I had installed in the power curcuit. Any ideas on how to check the generator. I think it is putting out to much voltage. Thanks.
Dale G. Basgall John : The generator is a permanent magnet motor, the faster you spin the generator the more voltage is present and inversley the more voltage applied to the generator the faster it will spin as a motor. So a permanent magnet generator can be used also as an electric motor. Like the Wisconsin engines in the old days using the generator as a starter motor for the engine.

Remove the wiring from the generator and start up the tractor, use your digital volt ohm meter to check the output voltage. One lead goes to ground and the other to the big terminal on the generator case. You will find that as you increase the engine rpm, if the generator is working well the voltage will go up as the rpm is increased.

The important part is the regulator, it regulates the voltage to the battery and system, these can be wired independent to the tractor ignition wiring. As long as the generator rotates you should be getting voltage.

Dale G. Basgall

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: