SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 4055, 4255, 4455

Sean I would like to know what the difference between a JD 4055, 4255 & 4455 tractors are. Obviously the main difference is the horsepower but other than that what is the difference? If I buy a 4055 I essentially could have a 4455 if I increased the hp? I would appreciate any input someone may have on this.
Hoss If it is a powershift some of the clutchpacks have a different number of disks. And I think the trans pressure is different. Not a lot of difference but there are some.
John Heine I checked JD parts and clutch pack is the same on all 3 tractors.
Hoss Check the output planatery it has extra disks in most all the brake packs. They are the same parts but the 4455 use extra disk. The parts cat. shows them as another part. The planatery gear set is also different.
Sean Thanks for the info. We have a 4255 mfd tractor that we just had some injector and pump work done on and we had the diesel shop set the pump to high side spec so that it is 140+ hp (more like the 4455). I have been searching around the internet to find resources that talk about the differences in the three tractors but have not found any. I have heard some of the 4455 had intercoolers but I personally have not seen a 4455 with one. I also don't want to be making a mistake in turning the hp up a bit on a 4055 to get 4255 hp or turn up a 4255 to get 4455 hp if there are differences in the tractors and they are not designed for the increased hp.
Hoss
Is your tractor a powershift or a quadrange? 140 horsepower won't hurt it unless you are relly hard on it and if you are this concerned about it you will probably take care of it. I have seen a 4055 with 150 hp and I got to rebuild the powershift but it was low on pressure to start with. The same tractor same hp (150) has run for 8-9 years since with no problem.

Sean It is powershift. Which is more rugged a powershift or QR?
Hoss Both are great transmissions. The powershift will give you excellent service if you keep it serviced. The quad range has been used in pulling tractors with good luck. So take care of your tractor and you will have very little trouble.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: