2020 DIESEL WATER IN OIL.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

2020 DIESEL WATER IN OIL.

Joe Im working on a John Deere 2020 Diesel and it has some problems. First off, the oil i drained out is a light, milky gray. Then, i also noticed when the tractor was running, a dense vapor came out of the valve cover breather tube, along with drops of water. I pulled off the cover to reveal a thick, white and gray, buildup of some gummy material, all over the top and sides of the cover. It was also all over the valves and rockers. Would anyone know what exactly is causeing this??? Most people ive talked to said its a head gasket. Also, i think the bearings are still alright, because when the tractor was running, i didn't notice any noise.. Could someone help me pin point the exact problem.

bontai Joe With water mixed in the oil, I sure wouldn't run the engine much as it won't be properly lubricated and will become damaged in quick order. Could be a head gasket, or cracked block or a couple of other things.
Brewster Find out if your machine has an engine oil cooler and make every effort to make certain its not leaking. That done,I would pull the head, if it were mine, and be very careful about not tearing the head gasket while your removing the head- maybe a lot of light so that maybe you can see the problem as your taking it apart. Sometimes the gasket rips; sometimes it stays on one surface so you can study it and maybe locate where it was leaking. If its obvious, GREAT. New gasket and back in the corn field. If not, you may look elsewhere. A crack in the head, maybe. Clean and look between the valves for crack. Nothing? Remove the valves and check the intake and exhaust passages. No good? Have the head checked for cracks. Still nothing? Time to pull the sleeves. Might as well go buy the engine kit now. A bad o-ring could do it, so after you remove the sleeves, inspect with a light before you pull them (the o-rings) and throw them away. Usually you can see the deterioration plainly. Its nice to put your finger on the exact problem- remember if you don't find something, you haven't fixed anything. Also check the sleeves for small rust spots. These can go all the way through if the antifreeze hasn't been maintained. Your dealer has test strips for your antifreeze once your back together. With a low spot, or hole in the sleeve, coolant goes down to the oil- a high spot on the sleeve would go up and out the exhaust. Nice winter project- inside by the ol wood stove.
Greg also could be condensation everyone always jumps to worst case senario...have you had tractor long? if not do you know previos owner was actually using diesel motor oil with additives to clean or some cheap non detergent motor oil which could cause white sludge buildup along with short running times when engine never really gets to operating temperature

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: