John Deere L100 does start and brake doesn't engage.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere L100 does start and brake doesn't engage.

Keith I was having a hard time engaging the brake on my JD L100. I noticed it was getting harder to push the clutch lever all of the way down to engage the brake handle. i also noticed that the tractor would roll a bit after the brake was actually engaged.
The tractor will not turn over now. There is power as the lights turn on with the key. Could it be that the clutch lever, belt, or related item is preventing the tractor from starting?

Keith Found the problem. The clutch pedal lever had broken off and was not engaging the dead-man switch. Tractor is 3 months over the 36 month warranty period - go figure!
The lever was welded back on by an auto-mechanic (free-be) and re-assembled. This job was not very difficult, but did take some time. The deck needs to be taken off, the body shroud under the steering wheel needs to be dis-assembled, and the cross member that holds the clutch pedal in place removed. Estimated about 2.5 hours of labor to dis-assemble hten re-assemble. Recommend air powered wrench if available (much quicker and less wrench cranking work). Many lever parts on the tractor are connected by cotter pins and they are easily removed, just keep track of what goes where for re-assembly.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: