L111 Stops running won't start hot

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

L111 Stops running won't start hot

Mike My L111 is 1 year old-23 hours-new fuel filter-clean air filter-new oil. It runs until hot, then stops and smells flooded. Cools down and then runs until hot again. Suggestions apprectiated.
bontai Joe I don't know this model at all, but will suggest checking to make sure the engine shrouds are clear of grass clippings to allow air flow around the motor. Did you check the oil? May have a low oil shut off? Fuel lines running too close to the engine getting too hot that the fuel is vaporizing before it gets to the carb? That's just some generic advise. Hope it helps.
Mike Thanks so much for the suggestions-I'll check it out.
JOHN A customer of mine had the same problem, the mechanic and I went to service the machine and check it out. There was a mice nest in the air filter which caused overheating after a few minutes and shut down machine. Re-check air filter, you never know.
Bruce Well, I doubt that will help you...but, maybe I'm wrong, too! My first guess....bad ignition coil. Check for spark, after it has gotten hot and quit running. I'll bet there is none! Replace coil. If you have spark...remove the air cleaner cover, and look down into the plastic intake throat. If you see it is full of fuel...there's your trouble! The carb float is sticking open, and flooding the engine, in this case. check the oil level. Is it over full? (fuel draining back into the oil.) If so,.. you need to have the carb cleaned well, and perhaps a new needle and float. But,...you're probably better off just replacing the entire carb, then. Some of these carbs just NEVER work right! Make sure to replace the fuel filter too, because the fibers can come apart in them, get sucked into the carb, and cause this very trouble.
Mike Thanks a lot for the good suggestions-I'll check those items. I'm betting it will be the ignition coil.
Mike Thanks very much for the tip-I checked the air cleaner, but like you said, you never know-in my last career, I found a problem with a fiber optic cable that was caused by beavers chewing through it.
Michael Smith I have the same problem. The mower runs great for at least 15 minutes then shuts off. I disconnect he fuel filter and you can hear the gas draining into the tank and the excess fuel comes out of the hose. Once I connect everything back up, it starts right up. Any suggestion or do you think I have a bad carb. I only have 38 hours on the tractor.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: