JD 318 brake drum removal

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 318 brake drum removal

mrpersons Having trouble removing brake drum from the axel.Anyone know the procedure??? Lookin at it, it would appear that removing the large axel nut and getting on there with a puller should do the job, but so far, no luck. Need to remove the brake assy to repair frame in that area. Thanks in advance for any ideas/help.
t_bois does the drum move? Could be the shoes need to be backed off because they have worn the drums down and a ridge is stopping the drum from pulling off.
mrpersons Brakes are free and operate normally and I was able to back off on the adjuster with no problem. I soaked the axel flange area for a day and got on it with a heavy duty puller and 3lb hammer. Drum will not seperate from the hub, nor will the hub seperate from the axel. I already repaired the frame, but woulda liked the brake outa my way!! Thanks for the response.
t_bois I need to do the brakes on my 318, hope it's doesn't give me as much trouble as yours.
mrpersons I was just down at the local JD dealer here in town and I forgot to ask how to get them off, or at least see a parts blowup so I'll know what I'm dealing with. I'll be going back to p/u parts, I'll have to remember to ask and let you know.
t_bois Thanks, I'll be interested to find if there are any tricks.
mrpersons Was at the JD dlr today, and got a look at the brake assy. The drum and the flange are one piece. So evidently, to remove it, you must remove the axel nut and washer, and just pull it off the axel! Ya right. As I said, I got on it with a very large puller, and smacked the end with a 3lb hammer, and got nuthin for my efforts. I knew it was gonna be a booger, so I already soaked them pretty good before I even tried. Probably have to heat them, but that's not going to do the seals any good. By the way, I asked out in the shop if anyone has ever done a brake job on one and got blank stares! Good luck! (BTW the frame repair turned out good)
whstubb I know just what your talking about as I just completed removing mine with a 16 ton press puller.
Ended up removing the axle along with the housing assembly. If you have a bench press puller this will do the trick if not, take it to your local Deere dealer who has one.
When I removed mine it was tough all the way off the axle. The axle was not pitted but, was very rusty.
Good Luck
Wayne

Jerry Ferrell I am told by many to loosen the axel nut 4 revolutions and then drive the tractor around for 30 minutes or so. Spray some WD40 too. This may loosen the drums.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: