317 John Deere Riding Mower Will Not Start

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

317 John Deere Riding Mower Will Not Start

David I have had this mower for years, taken care of, for the first time it has failed. After using the snow blower, I turned off the PTO, and returned to storage. 2 Days later, went out to move more snow, and turned the key "nothing". I put the charger on over night, and the bat charged. Turned key nothing. no click no nothing. Bought new bat, lights good fan, heater, wipers, (I have a Cozy Cab) but turn key nothing. The key had no spring back in it so bought new key, nothing, Started Selinod replaced nothing, no click no nothing. Replaced PTO switch, Nutral switch, have lights now, but turn key nothing. Jumped across selinod, and starter will crank, replaced wires from key switch to nutral, to PTO to selinod. Nothing. checked Main Cir breaker, ok by volt meter. and replaced seat safty switch. Checked the wire with a tester coming out of key switch, (to nutral switch, with key turned to crank, no power coming out. I'm stumped.
Dave David - I have to ask, is the brake applied? I only ask because that is one thing that had me going once. Otherwise, the brake switch may be at fault. Sounds like you've replaced just about everything. - Dave
David Found one problem, bought a bad switch! now will crank with key, BUT only when I push the Hydrostatic handle up past nutral, about half way up? Under the tractor, back by the arm on the Hydrostatic trans, I found a small spring, about half the size of my little finger, hanging down off of it, hook to nothing, looks like one end is broke off the hook part. does this go there? if so what does it hook to? I see nothing where it would go! something is out of adjustment, the front roll pins are good, and in place, where else is there to adjust? my book shows nothing but the front linkege, and nothing underneath! Need help soon, going to snow here sunday, and would like to use the 317, not my back. getting to old for that kind of work!!!! Dave

will huber The culprit 1998 Sabre by John Deere. I ran the machine out of gas and when fuel refilled, machine would not start. Fuel ok so cleaned carby still no go. Brake was on and seat safety s/w seems ok. Small amount of fuel poured in to carby throat and unit will start till that amount of fuel in used then no go. I hope that you can shed some light on my problem.
Regards Will.

Dale Webster
My mower worked fine when put away for the winter but when tried to start in spring woyld crank but wouldnt sart. Spark plugs seemed to be getting gas Air filter cleaned fuel pump seems okay. Dont know what else to check.
thanks appreciate any help

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: