SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

955 Compact John Deere

Greenfarm What could be wrong on a 955 JD Compact Utility tractor when you push the PTO lever forward,and it acts like it engages but the PTO does not run and it almost kills the tractor? Is there another button or lever to push? I am trying to run the rear PTO shaft. The rear PTO shaft does not turn freely but the belly one does. Is there another lever to push or something? Thanks for any help!!!
Dale G. Basgall Greenfarm ; when you say acts like it's engaging do you mean you can hear the engine rpm change?

I have to look up the 955 pto system on that tractor but mostly when you shut off a pto on a John Deere there should be a pto brake applied. But my 4210 mid pto also rotates freely when the tractor is off. Sounds as if the pto brake is on but let me check it out.

Dale G. Basgall Greenfarm ; the pto clutch inside the transmission case does not have a brake disk on it but I am sure there is one, so when the pto is shut off the pto doesn't freewheel, it's for safety.

does the rear pto want to rotate at all, maybe there is a bearing locking it up. Doesn't look that bad to get to from the rear case cover. Iv'e only done one of those and we did it in the field in about 4 hours.

If you need to write back on the forum.

Greenfarm Okay-It drags the RPM WAY down til it will kill the tractor if it is not revved up pretty good. It does not turn in the least, not even when I tug on it with a wrench-not even a wiggle. Need more help yet I guess! Thanks so far!!!
Alex I have a John Deere 955 and was wondering if the rear PTO has reverse rotation capabilities? When using my auger attachment it sometimes gets stuck in the ground and reverse would help pull it back out.
George Hi there. My JD 955 compact tractor mid pto kicked out and will not re engage. It has kicked out in the past but always re engaged.I took the side panel off and manually actuated it and it rotates fine while I hold the pivot motion by hand. Does this indicate the electronic switch is bad. The lower lever felt heavy to lift but I know that electronic magnet is strong.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: