John Deere 1020 carburetor issues

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 1020 carburetor issues

Jonathan Ford Went to crank tractor today and as usual, it flooded out even with the gas turned only 1/4 way on. Choked it normally, pulled the gas lever down till it clicked and it would try to start but every time it would it would then flood out with black smoke. Ran the battery down so I charged it up and solved that issue, but any suggestions on cleaning/servicing carburetor? Have had numerous issues with this in the past and even had the carb rebuilt--made it better but didnt solve the issue. Has ran very good past few years until today. Gas tank is 1/8 full as I drained the carb today twice. Any help would be greatly appreciated! jonathansford@comcast.net
David Johnston I had just purchased a JD 1020 that sat for quite some time. gas was very old and smelled. I dumped some new gas in and ran godd after oild gass was burned away. So I put more gas in. Started acting up, I tried draining tank but petcock pluged. I threw an inline filter on it. Broke the fule line lose where screws onot carb, be careful if line is coroded you will twist the steel line. I psyed with PB Blaster and it losened up. I pulled coil wire and cranked it to run a littke fuel out of the lines. Also prior to replacing line a squirted some carb and choke cleaner in the gas inatek on carb, I also remoevd drain screw and sprayed it out some. Replaced fule line and started her up. I had disrt somewhere as she then ran fine. If you do not have a fule filter on it I would put an inline filter prior to fuel pump. Althought with the black smoke it seems it may be running rich and needs a carb adjustment. I was to check my book tonighjt as I was haveing fuel/carb problem but mine is running fine and I mowed tonight for about an hour.
Mike Eason 1020 running very rough.Have to run with the choke open to keep running. Noticed tonight that the rubber fuel line just behind the inluine filter saw swollen up and under pressure after cutting tractor off. What gives?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: