SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

How to time an 8n ford tractor

Andy F. Some friends of mine have an 8N-B ford tractor. I'm not really sure of the year but if I had to guess it would be a 48 or 49. It has a side mount distributor and is out of time. How do put it in time? I assume that the number one cylinder has to be at top dead center but after that I have no idea. Where should the rotator button be pointing and are there any markers on the distributor itself that would help?

Thanks,
Andy.

Bob G The side mount distributor is timed as follows:

Set points to 0.025" gap when rubbing block is not on a cam lobe.

Find compression stroke on #1 cylinder. the front one next to fan. use finger in hole when cranking over.

remove timing cover on flywheel housing. looks like a spoon. use a screw driver to turn engine over by using the flywheel teeth. locate marks when coming up on compression stroke. set on 4 degree mark to the pointer. 8Ns have these marks but 9N and 2Ns do not. there are also two sets of marks 180 degrees apart. make sure you are on compression stroke on #1 cyclinder.

at this point the points should be just starting to open. if not rotate loosen bolt and rotate top of distrbutor until the points just start to open.

you can further check the timing and advance with a timing light. at idle it should be 4 degrees BTDC 1200 RPM 9 to 11 degrees.

by the way the side mount distributor came out in middle of 1950. earlier model has the distributor on the fornt of the egnine and setting timing is completely different

Good luck

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: