SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Testing 8N ignition coil

Wayne Moyer How do I bench test the ignition coil? I measure about 8 ohms between the top screw terminal and the silver spring on the front of the unit and 0 ohms between the screw and the copper spring. The tractor is converted to twelve volts.
Bob G You should show continuilty between the top screw and the bottom spring. not sure of the ohms but think it is around 2.5 but don't quote me on that. with a 12 volt conversion you hsould have in addition to the orginail ballast resistor an another resister in the circuit if the coil is the orginial 6 volt coil. if it is a 12 volt coil you still should have the orginial ballast resister in the circuit.
don kretzer sirs: to find top dead ctr. how do i tell t d c from180 off?which sidewill offset be on? thanks don
Bob G Don, It would have been best to start a new topic, but to tell the difference between TDC and 180 off is that you should have compsession. stick your finger in number one hole and feel for the compression when you turn it over. takes two people or long arms!! sounds like you have a front mount distributor. It will only go on one way. can't get it wrong. set points to 0.015" and istall on engine. should work.

good luck

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: