SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

battery exploded

andy what would make a battery explode while driving
Bob G over charging, vent cap pluged, the only time I had one explode was when I was charging it and did not remove the vent caps.
andy the tractor is about a 49 ford 8n with front distributor, can something go bad to make it over charge, or just and old battery. thanks
bob G Yes the voltage regulator could go bad and overcharge the battery. What was the amp meter doing? normally it will show a high charge right after starting and then as the battery gets charged the ampmeter reading should drop down.

usually when a battery explodes I think that you have to have excess gassing as from overcharging and a spark to provide ignition.

when you get everything cleaned up and install a new battery, check your charging rate

A high charging rate could be caused by having the generator field circuit grounded. could be in wiring running to reg or in the generator itself.

Good luck, keep us posted as to what you find.

andy thanks bob, i remember the meter being way over but didn,t think anything was wrong. my problem is the tractor is on my hunting land and hard to work on . i have a voltage meter but not sure how to check properly. thanks
Bob G most likely would be the voltage regulator points are stuck together. replace regulator would be my best guess.

good luck

Roy Brant I learned alot.

Thanks

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: