SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Replace 8N fan belt

Chuck
I have a Ford 8N with a front loader and a broken fan belt. I am perplexed as to how to replace the belt without dismantling the whole front end. There has to be an easier way.

Duane 1.Remove 4 bolts connecting pump and pump shaft
2.Remove pump mounting bolts and pull away from shaft
3.Unscrew shaft from 4 prong collar which fits in
damper pulley on front of motor and pull shaft away from collar
4.Holding collar against damper should allow room to
slip new belt through.
Install belt
5.Reassemble

Joel Davis Duane,
Your directions apply to the hydraulic pump mounted to the crankshaft right? How about the fan belt that drives the water pump and alternator/generator? I have a 2N with a hydraulic pump mounted to the engine block. It is situated in-between the water pump pulley and alternator. I took delivery of the tractor a few months ago and was having a ball clearing shrubs in preparation for an out-building/garage. The fan belt broke and I discovered it was the wrong size being 1/2 inch. The alternator pulley was 1/2 inch as well so it kind of worked you know? But with a new belt I couldn't put enough pressure on the alternator to keep it from slipping around the crankshaft pulley and water pump pulley. I replaced the alternator pulley with the proper 5/8 inch one and now I can't get the 5/8 inch belt over the fan. There is very little space, say 1/2 inch clearance between the fan and radiator. I foolishly thought taking the fan off from the water pump would solve it. NOT! Do I have to disconnect the hood and move the radiator to give a few inches clearance? Am I the only one to have this problem?

Parked in the weeds in New Mexico

Joel

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: