Ford 8N will not start/run

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford 9N, 2N, 8N, NAA Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ford 8N will not start/run

Wayne Lubbert I am working with a friend on his 49 Ford 8N. It was not running for several years. We got it to run but once you shut it off it will not start unless you use a little ether in the intake manifold then it fires right up. He has put on a new rebuilt carb. We have good spark as we have replaced the wires and condensor and rotor. We have checked the timing and when we do get it to run it sounds good, idles fine. It will run fine for a couple minutes and then choke off. You can not get it to start again unless you use the ether. We have check the gas lines, sediment bowl, etc. We have plenty of spark but no gas as we can choke it and gas runs out of the bottom of the carb, but the plugs are not wet. The manifold is good and does not have any leaks??
Billy Goat Check the air intake and make sure it is working properly. Little critters like to build nest in the air pipe or filter. You can remove the tube from the air cleaner to the carb. and see if it starts. Watch out for fire. These engines flood quite easily so go easy on the choke. Billy
jdm Check to make sure you have good gas flow by taking the fuel line loose at the carb and opening the shut off completely open. The system is gravity flow so if you do not have fuel try with the gas cap off. Venting is a must or the fuel will not flow. I had a similiar problem with my NAA and found out fuel would not flow unless the shut off was completely open in the reserve position.
Herman Nielsen is there any one that can help me get my tractor to run, have spark, new engine,,,rebuilt carburator, but gas is not getting to the cylinder to start, points gapped correctly,,,could it be in the governor ?, starting fluid will not get it started, new plugs, your hints would be greatly appreciated

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford 9N, 2N, 8N, NAA Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: