1950 Ford 8N 12 volt conversion

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford 9N, 2N, 8N, NAA Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1950 Ford 8N 12 volt conversion

Maxie Allen I recently did some web research on ford 8n 12 volt negative ground conversion. After studying some information and wiring diagrams I felt confident and decided to attempt rewiring my tractor. I followed the recommended wiring diagrams to a T using all the recommended wire gauges and alternator. My tractor cranked in the opposite direction ( counter clockwise ) and ruined my starter. Can someone give me some advise on what to do next.
jwm If the starter turned backward it was because it was wired backward. The + positive post of the battery must connect to the starter selenoid. From there it goes directly to the starter. I think you need to recheck these things. James
EDWARD NEWSUM NEED A WIRING DIGHRAM PLEASE
jon i am converting a 6v+ to a 12v-. do i need to change my starter solenoid to a - actuated two pole instead of the single pole + actuated system it has with the -6v system?
eli need a wireing diagram for a ford 8n 1950. i put a new steering on it and the wireing does not match.
fjb I bought an 8n tractor that was already converted to a 12 volt neg grnd system However the genuis decided to bypass the safety button which I found out the hard way can cause the tractor to start in gear.
I bought the start button however I need help with the wiring arrangement.

Jim Whittaker I have purchased a 12 volt conversion kit and I am installing an ignition start switch. I have tried following the supplied instruction and have gotten lost. Can someone Help me with a simplified
version for wireing this system?
Thank You
Jim

Travis The starter selnoid that came with the tractor uses ground to close the contacts, you either need a relay or a new selnoid for the starter to work on a 12 volt ign switch. The starter switch that came with the tractor will work fine and it has the safety interlock feature, but if you must it will work, but it will start in gear. All you need the ign switch for is to turn off the power to the coil to shut off the tractor. Wire the coil to the ign post and lights to the acessory post, only use the start position If you replace the starter selnoid or use a relay to control the ground start of the old selnoid. I hope that helps

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford 9N, 2N, 8N, NAA Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: