9N Sherman Transmission Shifting Procedure

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford 9N, 2N, 8N, NAA Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

9N Sherman Transmission Shifting Procedure

Gary Moore I have just purchased a 9N with a Sherman Transmission. I have read some of the other discussions about it being a over/underdrive in addition to the main transmission. I wanted to find out the correct method for shifting to avoid tearing something up.

Do you shift on the move like a torque amplifier or do you need to be stopped before shifting?

Should the clutch be depressed before shifting or can you shift without using the clutch?

To clarify my understanding of some of the articles, if the lever is forward (down) this increases your forward speed and if the lever is back (up) your forward speed decreases while maintaining PTO speed?

Thanks, Gary

Bill Id Gary, Mine came with no directions either. I shift the Sherman when sitting still, press the clutch and make the shift. Forward is high and the lever pulled back is Low. If it is a Combination or Sherman Combo, half way between high and low you can pull the lever outward about 1/2 inch and pull back towards you. That will put the transmission back to the original N gears. I am not sure about the operation of the PTO since I never use mine to drive anything but a post hole digger.
Mike Thompson Looking for Internet site that has 9n ford Sherman Transmission part list and diagram of internal parts
tilton marter gary, i am restroeing a 600 that has sherman. the ford repair manuel said that it has three speeds. when i get it restored i will try it .i know it does move the lever up and down then have way between pull out on the lever push down for the other gear. the book said you have low, direct, and high. giveing you 12 speeds farward and 3 speeds revirs.
wwildhorse2k
Re: 9N Sherman Transmission Shifting Procedure

I Made a video of the combo shifter

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o164/wwildhorse2k/SHERMAN_COMBO/?action=view¤t=DSCN0004.flv

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford 9N, 2N, 8N, NAA Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: