SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Switching 6 volts to 12 volts on 8N

Fred Here's my plan. I have a 1949 8N. I want to go the 12 volt route, but, keep the wiring as original. Remove the "points, condenser, etc, and install a Pertronix Ignitor kit in the distributor housing. Yes, that's right..a Electronic Iginition so to speak.

NOTE: This will be part of my 12 volt change-over. Install a 12 volt round can coil with a built-in resister. Install a 12 volt "B" circuit Voltage Regulator (3 tabs..FLD. ARM. BAT. Remove the 6 volt "fields coilss" in the Generator, install 12 volt Fields..wired one side to "Ground"post and other side to Field post. A 12 volt Battery with Negative ground.
I plan to keep the old original "Ballest Resister". NOTE: All this will wired up as those it is the original 6 volt system, with the exception...Electronic Ignitor...instead of points, condenser), 12 volt coil, 12 volt voltage regulator, and 12 volt generator fields, and 12 volt battery.

I think I can get this done without any problems. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter, or better ideas?

Bob G It may work just fine with the exception of the ballest resistor. It may limit the current too much for the round can coil.
You say you are trying to keep it looking all orginianl but witha 12 volt battery sitting there it sure will not look orginial to me.
I have too 8n's tahat work just fine with 6 volts but one is a side mount distributor and the other has a magneto ignition system on it.
let us know how it works out. Other people may want to try it also.
I do like the idea of the 12 volt generator instead of an alternator. I read about them from time to ime.
Good Luck

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: