SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ford NAA Air Filter

Tom Hancock Okay, here's my newest challenge for the Ford NAA I bought about a month ago. I've been slowly working through replacing the fluids, fixing the sediment bowl, removing the the oil filter, pan, etc.. Each time I remove something I dunk it in an electrolysis tub that I've hooked up, I get the part down to bare metal and then I sand and prime. It's been working relatively well, but it is so cold out (-5) with the wind chill its been a pretty slow process.

Anyway, I guess I should finally get to the question. When I bought the NAA I knew I'd need to replace the Air Filter. So I went about finding a good used replacement, got it, dipped it in my tank for a cleaning and went to put it on. To my surprise I found no mounting brackets for it, when I went to the parts manual. I see the air filter parts listed and a diagram, but no real reference as to where to attach it. There are full engine pics, but again no specifics as to where to attach it. I'm guessing, but did they used to attach to the battery box? I say that because, the tractor was converted to a 12v. and there really isn't much left to the battery box. Thanks for any help.

mark sr The mounting brackets are part of the oilm bath breather. There should be an ear on each side 1/3-1/2 of the way up. It does bolt to the back of the battery box. I converted my NAA to 12 volt but kept the same battery box. If the battery box has rusted out or replaced with something else, you may need to fashion some type of bracket to hold the breather. The top of the breather hooks up to the vent on the side of the hood.
Jim Loveridge Tom, would you elaborate on your electrolysis tub? I would be interested in somthing like that. I'm working on restoring a '44 2N, but like you it's too cold in the garage right now. Fortunatly I have a wood shop in my basement to keep me occupied till spring anyway.
Bob G jim, I have an electrolysis tub set up for small parts. I used a lye solution but I hear that washing soda will work also. google it and think you will find a number of articles on it.The biggest problem I have is maintaining a good connection between the parts and the battery charger cables. the cleaning only takes place in a straight line between the part and the anode. a cage all around the outside is best and keep the part in the center from touching the anode. DO NOT use stainless steel as anode. some bad nasty chemicals will get produced that way.
Bob

Jim Loveridge Bob, thanks for the tip. I will do that. I had never even heard of it till Tom's post on here. Didn't know there was such a thing.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: