SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1948 N8 ford tractor

Tim Williamson Today, one of the rear wheels came off our old 8N ford tractor. I found a big nut...I think its a rear axle nut, is it possible something else fell off? HELP PLEASE
Bob G Yes possible that you lost the large washer also. If you do not have the I7T FO-4 service manual I would suggest that you get one befoe you try to put it back together. sounds like the hub and brake drum came off with the wheel. The axle, seals could or probaly are damaged. The nut should have had 450 foot pounds of torque on it and lock with a wire spring clip.
Good luck

Jim Loveridge What a mess. It's going to be difficult to break the lug nuts loose with the wheel on the ground. Then, the two screws that hold the drum to the hub. You will probably find it easier to put the drum and hub back on as an assembly. Back off the break shoes first. You will need to inspect the splines in the hub and on the axle. That big nut is what keeps the hub tight onto the axle. If it's been loose for awhile those splins wear out. All parts are available. Good Luck.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: