SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1949 Ford 8N timing mark

KH Indiana Folks,

I bought a 49 Ford 8N last year and I've recently had to overhaul the distributor. I've had the points set at the correct gap. Now i can't seem to get it started when I put everything back on the tractor. I can get it to somewhat fire but not start. I believe it's a timing issue. Can someone tell me where the timing mark is on this tractor so I can get the distributor lined up correctly??

Bob G A 49 is a front mount dist. you set the points to 0.015" and set the timing when you have the dist off of the engine. There is only one way to install the distributor hence there is no need for a timimg mark. The later 8n with side mount have a timing mark on the flywheel.
The timing procedure is the the I&T FO-4 service manual. I would suggest you pick one up. the procedure is too long to type out here and encludes a picture.

Jim Loveridge If it was running OK before you had to overhaul the distributor, I would think the timing is correct. Could you have the firing order wrong? The order is 1-2-4-3. from front to back. But I don't know which direction the front mount distributor rotates.
KH Indiana It was running great before the distributor overhaul. How do i manipulate the firing order to where it is 1 2 4 3? I understand what you are saying, but I'm not very mechanically inclined yet and am not sure how to change the firing order. Thank you very much for your help on this.
Bob G If you removed the distributor to rebuild it, it has to be timed according to the manual. Just setting the gap to 0.015 is not enough. You set the dist at a certain position and the points should just be starting to open. There is only one way to install the dist on the engine without breaking something.

If you are looking at the point, cap off, the shaft turn ccw. turn the engine over and watch it.
Firing order is 1-2-4-3, CCW. Facing the tractor, the number 2 nipple is at the bottom left of the cap.
number 1 cylinder is closest to the fan
Good luck

KH Indiana I'm very sorry to sound redundant, but how do I make sure that the firing order is 1 2 4 3? I don't know how to set the firing order. Is it difficult?
Bob G I told you where number 2 is on the dist cap. That one goes to number 2 cylinder, going ccw the next nipple on the dist will be for #4 cylinder, the next will be for #3 and finially #1

hence firing order is 1 2 4 3 make sure the wires running from the dist to plugs in this order.
Hope this helps. if you are not sure keep asking. and you do need to get a manual.

Ken N Tx
Re: 1949 Ford 8N timing mark

Fire order

Ken N Tx
Re: 1949 Ford 8N timing mark

Timing

thepumpguysc NICE diagram KEN!!
I think he has his wires on wrong??
KH, notice the diagram 3 & 4 are different than 1 & 2 ...SWAP YOUR WIRES..

KH Indiana You guys were EXACTLY right! I had the #3 and #4 plug wires in the wrong holes. Now my tractor fires! However, it won't keep going. It will fire and then die. Keeps doing the same thing. What do you think is the problem now???
KH Indiana Never mind the last post guys. I got it going!!!! now it's running great. You guys are awesome. Thank you very much. You guys saved me a 100 dollar service call.

Bob G Glad you got it running. thanks for the feedback.
MAS would a 1947 2N front mounted dist. firing order be the same? Put in new plugs, condensor, rotor, coil & points. Looking at Ken N TX pics I would think there is a good starting point. Where would you set the timing plate and screw to get it to fire on time?
Bob G all ford n series tractor have the same firing order 1-2-4-3. You set it according to Ken's picture called timeing. When you install the distributor it only goes on one way so it will fire at the right time. the points should just be starting to open when it is set up like the picture. You would find it very help ful to get the I&T FO-4 service manual. the gap is set to 0.015" before you seet the timing according to the picture.
LUKE C I HAVE 1949 FORD 8N THE PLUG NUMBER ONE IS BLACK PLUG 2-3-4 IS WHITE I CANT FIGER OUT WHAT THE PROMBLE IS WITH THIS THING IT RUNS GREAT ON LOW FINE BUT WHEN U TAKE THE RPM UP IT RUNLIKE CRAP AND HAS A BAD MISS FIRE WHAT COULD IT BE PLEASE HELP ME

Gary I am having an issue finding the timing mark on the flywheel to set my timing. Here's how I got there, I had a screw that was stripped on my points. I dropped a screw into the opening to the left of the points. Turned over the motor. Yeah... a couple times. Distributor turned. Now I can't time it and it sits. Thanks for any help
John how do i switch from points to pointless?
phillip leonard I just put a new distributor in and it back fires thro the carb, and wont start what do I need to do

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: