SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ford 1952 8N tractor brake adjustment

Jim Hudson I have the tool necessary to adjust the brakes. How do I turn the thing inside to tighten the brake peddle and how much is too much? I need to get rid of the excess slack in the peddle. I've seen my dad adjust the brakes on cars years ago and he would turn something and move the wheel as he was doing it but I don't remember doing it myself
Bob G You need to get the FO-4 service manual. You will need it.
That said the adjusting part is easy,IF that is all it needs. You stick the tool thru the slot and find the star wheel and if it turns you are lucky. A lot of them are frozen. One way will tighten and the other will loosen. can't remember which is which. You will need to jack up the rear end so that you can rotate the wheels. adjust until you can feel the dragging brakes and then back off till free. Once you get the shoes adjusted you adjust the linkages to match up the brake pedals.

It is quite common on these old machines to get oil on the brakes and then they will not work and then you get to replace the seals and brakes shoes. The seal setup on a 52 is better than earlier models tho.

The slot that you adjust thru is on the inside of the housing, Good luck

Bob G
Re: Ford 1952 8N tractor brake adjustment

This might help some!

Jim Hudson Thanks Bob G. Appreciate the help and the fact that you do get back with the answers.
Jim Loveridge Just to add to what Bob said, you turn the star wheel toward the rear of the tractor (tool toward the front) to tighten the breaks.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: