electrical problem.. ford 4000 desperate

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

electrical problem.. ford 4000 desperate

Matt Greazel finally after some time i got a old ford 4000 to work. worked great for 2 days then nothing.

what is wrong? replaced coil, points and spark plugs.

turns over but nothing

I have no spark all of sudden, what could be the problem

tested disributor wires and all have continutity
coil was replaced for the heck of it
spark plugs new
there seems to be spark between the points if you stick a screw driver there, but no noticible light while turning the engine over.

help..

thanks..

raphilip : finally after some time i got a old ford 4000 to work. worked great for 2 days then nothing.

: what is wrong? replaced coil, points and spark plugs.

: turns over but nothing

: I have no spark all of sudden, what could be the problem

: tested disributor wires and all have continutity
: coil was replaced for the heck of it
: spark plugs new
: there seems to be spark between the points if you stick a screw driver there, but no noticible light while turning the engine over.

: help..

: thanks..

raphilip : : finally after some time i got a old ford 4000 to work. worked great for 2 days then nothing.

: : what is wrong? replaced coil, points and spark plugs.

: : turns over but nothing

: : I have no spark all of sudden, what could be the problem

: : tested disributor wires and all have continutity
: : coil was replaced for the heck of it

: : spark plugs new
: : there seems to be spark between the points if you stick a screw driver there, but no noticible light while turning the engine over.

: : help..

: : thanks..

Make sure that the points are actualy closing. to do this turn the engine slow and use an ohm meter to make sure that the points are opening (high resistance) closing (low resistance) this is done with the ingnition off.
Are you sure you have 12V at the points? Low voltage here would cause weak spark, or no spark under compresion.

TomG : finally after some time i got a old ford 4000 to work. worked great for 2 days then nothing.

-------------------------------------------------

I usually started trying to figure these things out by taking off one spark plug line, inserting a metal rod into the plug terminal, holding the end of the rod near a ground and cranking the engine while looking for a spark. I'm assuming that there is no spark to the plugs.

If you're seeing a spark across the points when they're broken manually with a screwdriver, then there should be a spark off the high voltage line as well. If high voltage is present, taking the high voltage line from the coil off at the distributor cap and placing the end near a ground should get a good spark. If there's spark, the problem might be that the points aren't making and breaking--they have to do both. Of course a bunch of other things could cause the problem as well.

To check for point breaking, you might remove the primary coil wires, put an Ohm meter across the points and crank the engine. The Ohmmeter reading should bounce around. Id probably check the coil resistances while I was at it. The primary is probably around 1-ohm, and the secondary in the k-ohms. More information about whats going on can be gained as follows: I'd rotate the engine until the points are on-top of a lobe (fully open). Then I'd measure the voltage on each side of the points with a VOM. There should be near battery voltage on one side only. While I was at it, I'd check the voltage on each side of the coil primary windings. Each side should have voltage. Then, I'd rotate the engine to close the points and repeat the voltage checks. There should be little, if any, voltage at the points--it depends on whether there is an in-line resistor on the ground side. However, There should be some voltage aon at least one the coil primary terminals--again it depends on whether resistors are present. Current should be flowing in the primary coil circuit, so there should be a voltage drop across the coil primary. If things are working, the primary coil terminals should show somewhat different voltages to ground. Many manuals would give specifications for these various tests.

I know this isn't saying what might be wrong, but it is a reasonable organized way to start figuring it out.

dean : : : finally after some time i got a old ford 4000 to work. worked great for 2 days then nothing.

: : : what is wrong? replaced coil, points and spark plugs.

: : : turns over but nothing

: : : I have no spark all of sudden, what could be the problem

: : : tested disributor wires and all have continutity
: : : coil was replaced for the heck of it
:
: : : spark plugs new
: : : there seems to be spark between the points if you stick a screw driver there, but no noticible light while turning the engine over.

: : : help..

: : : thanks..

: Make sure that the points are actualy closing. to do this turn the engine slow and use an ohm meter to make sure that the points are opening (high resistance) closing (low resistance) this is done with the ingnition off.
: Are you sure you have 12V at the points? Low voltage here would cause weak spark, or no spark under compresion.

do one of you know how much a loader/backhoe 4500 would weigh??

Mark : finally after some time i got a old ford 4000 to work. worked great for 2 days then nothing.

: what is wrong? replaced coil, points and spark plugs.

: turns over but nothing

: I have no spark all of sudden, what could be the problem

: tested disributor wires and all have continutity
: coil was replaced for the heck of it
: spark plugs new
: there seems to be spark between the points if you stick a screw driver there, but no noticible light while turning the engine over.

: help..

: thanks..

I also have a spark problem but i located it to be only while cranking not when the key is in run position. check to see if this is the case, if so we are both in the same situation. My tractor is a 6000 but wiring is somewhat similiar. I'm checking on the switch to see if that is where the problem is. Let me know what you find out please. I'll comment if i find anything else. MrkMc1967@aol.com

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: